Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
In almost every distro write up I see these days the author has to point out how much easier and better Linux is than Windows. They like to say how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Why i'm getting sick of the linux community

In almost every distro write up I see these days the author has to point out how much easier and better Linux is than Windows. They like to say how much easier it is and how much more secure it is.

It's all BS smoke and mirrors to get a following for the distro.

People talk about "making the switch" as if one really needs to switch FROM one operating system TO another (from windows to Linux)

Stop all this nonsense !!

If you don't want to use one or the other thats fine but don't LIE about it.. which is largely what many Linux fans do when they write the articles.

Don't Lie and say Linux is easier because - it's NOT. Sure they tell you these days you dont have to use a terminal, but wait.. you just got stuck and need serious help. You go to the forum, ask your question and Poof - You have to use the terminal to fix the problem.

One Lie down.

Opps.. a penguin just got it's wings clipped. LOL

I have heard people ask windows users, " well, you learned DOS and the windows command prompt, so you can learn to use the terminal" - Yes.. this was a recent comment on a blog talking about the new Mint. Problem with this is - No one uses DOS or command prompt commands anymore - they haven't for Over 15 years !! DOH !

- and Linux users shouldn't accept this terminal crap either. Luckily real desktop PC users can still use Linux most of the time without ever looking at the terminal interface - until you have a problem, then your stuck back in the dark ages. ( not to say Linux users are not real PC users but I'm talking of the majority.. the marketshare which Windows has)

The terminal needs to GO. There is No reason why IF such commands are needed they cannot be implemented from a GUI. Linux is too flexible for this not to have happened Years ago.

They like to say Linux is way more secure than Windows because it doesn't have the same problems with virus's and other malware.

Perhaps right.. but.. I own an XP machine, a windows 7 machine and a windows 8 machine.. the last for over a year and a half - you know how many virus's and malware I get? ZERO. Never happens. Why? I know how to use the tools that help keep my PC clean and protected.

Linux fans have it in their heads that if you use Windows you WILL get virus's Period. This is silly and it's a Linux selling point that is akin - to a LIE. it's Not honest at all.

There goes another crippled penguin.

Why talk about making the switch at all?

You Don't WANT to switch. You Want to try a different OS but Know they have each a special things unique to them. This with the possible exception you were never a windows user in the first place and or need only a free operating system because you are dead broke. Thats silly.. windows is cheap for what you get and most of the time it comes pre-installed anyway when you buy a PC so it's not like you're paying any extra.. Heck if your a gamer, you buy games anyway which many times are 60 bucks a game half what Windows costs and people buy the 60 dollar games by the truck loads. No excuse for not being able to buy Windows if you need it

Windows PC's are Great for gaming. if your a gamer, game on Windows. I say that because Linux doesn't have the AAA games that the Windows PC crowd has. Even with Steam for Linux and Wine, most good AAA games will not play on Linux.

Linux on the other hand is fine if you are not a real hard core gamer. It's free, and will process your words as well as wordpad and it will allow you to surf the web and play youtube all you like etc.. Anything but real hard core gaming - so if your not into games, try Linux.

Most people don't want to switch to something thats got a greater learning curve than they are used to. Thats Linux. Thats why people have to try to compare it to windows - because Linux hasn't grown up yet. Oh it's getting there I agree, but still very far away from where it should be.

Stop talking about Switching and start talking about Co-existing!

I know many Linux users who are gamers embrace this. They dual boot. I know hard core Linux users who started using Windows 8 just because they discovered how great windows games are - and they do not have the silly windows problems the Linux fans would make you believe they all have. Again with the lies.

Why Lie at all folks? You are not going to help your distro or our wonderful Linux community in that way. I want to see these types of Linux distro reviews go Poof never to be seen again. I'm disappointed in the Linux community for these things.

I can say that. I have been a regular Linux user for over 5 years and have machines with Mint, PCLinuxOS and Zorin - I even use a PC-BSD machine. I use many Windows as stated above as well as Mac. They are all good and all have their place. Stop the bashing, the downplays, the Lies.

While there is validity in your rant, it comes across as just that, a rant. Not always a bad thing, but in this sense, it is.

I read through the whole thing, and most will say you are just trolling, but those who say he is trolling, stop and think about what is written. Sure there are things we don't agree with, but as a whole, he is mostly correct.

I have used Linux for ~16 years, and the one thing I don't like about Linux most of all is the majority of the community. Linux is great, but a lot of times the community is what brings it down. The community on this site is one of the better ones, but it still isn't the most accepting sometimes.

Gaming is slowly coming to Linux with the help of Valve, although there is a severe lack of AAA games, they are at least in talks about bringing them to Linux (although the linux fragmentation of distros isn't helping, and they will most likely only officially support Ubuntu).

The command line argument is the only thing I see as incorrect, as I and many others still use the command line in Windows (via Powershell, which supports scripts and has most of the bash functionality). Honestly, I wouldn't want an OS that I couldn't use the command line in (I am a developer though, and everyone's needs are different).

Yes, Linux is not as easy to pick up as Windows, but it is because we were conditioned to use Windows. If everyone would have started out in Linux, and learned to use computers that way, then it would be the other way around.

All of that being said, I use both. I have a Windows 8 tablet, Windows 8 phone, and I use Windows on my desktop and laptop. I have a Linux install and I keep a VPS around for certain stuff, but I use what fits me best on the machines I use.

Use what makes you happy and don't worry about anyone else. I develop in both Windows and Linux, and there is really little difference, except for the community. The Windows community doesn't care if the software is open source or not, but the Linux community will demean and belittle you if it isn't open source. There is really a problem there. The Linux community will complain if you do something different than they do (not saying that the Windows community doesn't, but the Linux community is much more vocal about it).

Good rant, but just tone it down next time if you want people to take you seriously.

One trend I have noticed in free and open source software is ads. Sure, ads can make you some money, but I would rather pay a fee than have ads. If your software has ads, chances are I won't use it, and a lot of other people feel this way.

Don't take my reply as an attack at Linux, because I do love Linux and what it stands for, but for the most part the community needs to re-evaluate. The Linux community in general has been the reason for users not sticking to it and just going back to Windows. Sure opinions are great, and even helpful sometimes, but mostly in the Linux community, if your opinion differs, then it is wrong and you need to go back to Windows (yes, I have actually been told this before on another forum).

This community is one of the better ones out there, and are usually helpful if problems arise, even if they don't know the answer. They will help you step through the problems or at least take a good guess. No need to take it out on them. Your rant belongs on Ubuntu's forum, or one of the child distros they helped spawn, but a lot of the points are valid.

I am involved in a project right now that I and a lot of friends have started, and we are developing on Windows for this reason. It will have some closed source and some open source, and may quite possibly be cross platform, depending on the community feedback we receive upon testing. From what I have seen lately across the open source community though, we are still debating it. It isn't about the money, it is about not wanting to deal with rude, opinionated, and possibly threatening communities. Sure, what we are doing has been partially done, but we are doing it better and more efficient, and I find that the open source community is downright unaccepting of anything that may or may not help them out, probably because they didn't think of it first.

Take my reply however you want, but this community is mostly nice and helpful, but can be overly critical.

If you really want people to use Linux, then you need to think before you type. Think to yourself, will this post help this person or make them feel like an idiot? If it is the latter, you are doing it wrong and should just refrain from posting (which I probably should have done). If you don't care if people use Linux or not, just don't post. It will be better for everyone.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Guru
    Well, I have a hard enough time selling netbooks with Linux on them without

Edit; By the way. If you think me unfair. Look at my post count vs the OP's.
    I have spent numerous sleepless hours volunteering time and effort on this
    forum to listen to ingrates with no post count help complain and rant cuz
    their panties are in a wad.We bikers get offended by confrontation and respond likewise. If I get into trouble for this. Oh Well.

I try to co-exist but they keep pulling me back in

I am a big boy. I can take it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rokytnji; 11-06-2013 at 02:21 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    IDK, I find that Point Linux with it's MATE desktop is just stupid simple for me to get around on, Windows 8, not so much. Plus if you add in the fact that you have to "pay to play" with Windows and Linux is Free it all becomes kind of a moot point for someone like me who's on a very tight budget. Also, Linux will work on older equipment and run faster then Windows and Linux needs less RAM to run efficiently. Basically, Linux has it all over Windows as an Op System. That's not just my opinion but the opinion of hundreds of thousands who've made the switch over from Windows to Linux.

I might of agreed with the OP in the early days of Linux, but it has been refined and grown to be on par with all the other systems. I think the big issue is people don't want computers anymore they want appliances a toaster they don't have to know anything to use. Most my use of Linux was on servers as a SysAdmin and on desktop used whatever the company provided. Now as OS X and Windows try to turn computers into tablets I've switched to being a Linux user on the desktop too and its is great desktop platform offering the user options that Windows and especilly OS X don't give the user. Sure you might have to learn a little to use Linux, but it is a computer not a toaster.

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    IDK, I find that Point Linux with it's MATE desktop is just stupid simple for me to get around on, Windows 8, not so much. Plus if you add in the fact that you have to "pay to play" with Windows and Linux is Free it all becomes kind of a moot point for someone like me who's on a very tight budget. Also, Linux will work on older equipment and run faster then Windows and Linux needs less RAM to run efficiently. Basically, Linux has it all over Windows as an Op System. That's not just my opinion but the opinion of hundreds of thousands who've made the switch over from Windows to Linux.
    This is a very valid argument, but it isn't all about money to most of the community. I really enjoy Linux, and I use Gentoo and Debian a lot, and the Linux desktop has really come a long way. I never "made the switch" because I didn't see any reason to give up on in favor of the other, but of course with all things, it depends on the users needs. I use both in my home environment in harmony, each has its place. I am a CS student, and in a lot of my classes, they require certain software that either runs on Linux, runs on Windows, and some software that runs on both.

Honestly, the "pay to play" philosophy it moot for most people, because most computers come with some version of Windows. What I don't like about the Windows ecosystem is the same thing I loathe about the Android ecosystem, and that is deprecated operating systems with no good reason. For example, Windows XP still works great for most people that use it (although it isn't as optimized as the newest OS), but support is ending. Android is the same way, because I had an Android phone that was deprecated a year after it was released, because the company deemed it so (and it was a Motorola phone, so not a no name). Now it has the problems with most apps not running on the deprecated OS because they are all built for the newer OS.

That is the beauty of Linux. You can run a rolling distro if you want, and never have to worry about switching. On the downside of that though, is that you rely on community support, which in the case of this community is pretty good, but a lot of other communities are absolutely horrible.

I have spent a lot of time on these forums helping where I can, and other Linux forums helping out as much as I could. My panties are not in a wad, as rokytnj would suggest, but I am fed up with the community treatment of a lot of newer members. I have put my time in to have an opinion, sorry if that offends anyone. I am not OP, but he does make some good points. As Linux grows (and it will, especially with Valve pushing steam on Linux), newer users will be exposed to the idea of Linux and having to ask the community for help. If that person encounters a bitter or sarcastic community member, how long do you think they will remain a Linux user?

Sure, Linux isn't hard, but how long have we been using it and tweaking it to our liking? Sure, there are easy distros with a GUI for most of their tools they need, but most of these distros are smaller distros with small communities (excluding Ubuntu, but IMO that distro breaks more than a smoker at a factory does). I have a much easier time in a "harder" distro like Gentoo. When companies start supporting Linux, which one do you think they will officially support? Ubuntu or Red Hat. Sure, if software runs on Linux it will run on any Linux, but it will not be supported officially, and users will have to rely on the community. I don't have a problem with that, but when a new user sees that, they think "OMG, what if I have problems?"

My posts may seem like a rant, but they aren't, they are more constructive criticism to the open source community. If you don't like it, sorry, it is my opinion.

Windows 8 is not hard to use, it is just different. What the OSS community has trouble remembering is that everyone thinks differently, and everyone learns at a different pace. What is simple for one user may be the hardest thing ever for someone else. Sure, Linux is easy to me, and I use Gentoo, so why doesn't everyone? That is the type of attitude that plagues OSS.

I guess I am done, I will continue using Linux and Windows in harmony, no matter what anyone says. I will continue to help where I can, unless of course the community here thinks less of me or thinks I "have my panties in a wad" because I have an opinion. In that case, I will just continue doing what I have to, and using what works.

To those that have switched completely, good for you. I hope Linux is everything you could hope for it to be, and that is all works out wonderfully. I look at it like religion, "Do whatever you want, as long as you don't push your belief on me".

Sorry guys, but these are my thoughts. Sorry if they don't "fit in".

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I might of agreed with the OP in the early days of Linux, but it has been refined and grown to be on par with all the other systems. I think the big issue is people don't want computers anymore they want appliances a toaster they don't have to know anything to use. Most my use of Linux was on servers as a SysAdmin and on desktop used whatever the company provided. Now as OS X and Windows try to turn computers into tablets I've switched to being a Linux user on the desktop too and its is great desktop platform offering the user options that Windows and especilly OS X don't give the user. Sure you might have to learn a little to use Linux, but it is a computer not a toaster.
    This is correct, but I am one of those that likes appliances, such as my tablet, and my raspberry pi. What is wrong with that?

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Guru
    My posts may seem like a rant, but they aren't, they are more constructive criticism to the open source community. If you don't like it, sorry, it is my opinion.
    I respect your opinion. When you talk the talk. You walk the walk. It was early morning for me (12 hours ago) when I posted and I can be fired up after reading

sick of the linux community
    In a thread title. Biting the hand that feeds you is not my style.

I can say that. I have been a regular Linux user for over 5 years and have machines with Mint, PCLinuxOS and Zorin - I even use a PC-BSD machine
    I know it can be hard to answer a post where a person has the latest gaming mouse from so and so with keybindings integrated in the mouse buttons and the durn
    thing came with a Windows and Mac driver cd and the post says , "Can you help me get my veliciraptor-spiderman gaming mouse to input key strokes into my computer
    like it does in Windows"?

You can't compete with that if the manufacturer locked down the device so they can profit more from closed source equipment. Like your Motorola Phone.
    Though I be the pot calling the kettle black, me owning a Blackberry 9530 (that at leasts mounts on Linux).

I just sometimes get frustrated when someone acts like the worst thing you can do is offer them FREE software.
    Nobody put a gun to their head or said , "pay up or shut up".
    By the way. Isn't Windows leased or rented? The user does not own it, do they?

Just Joined!
    When I was into ham radio ten years ago people complained about old timers pushing for morse code to be a part of the exams. Nothing to hard if you ask me(5 words per minute on an entry level license). It always seemed as somewhat a right of passage, and a reminder of more humble beginnings. The command line should always be a strong part of Linux. Im like a lot of people on here repurposing old gear and I dont want too much GUI and fancy stuff. Just wasting ram on something I dont need.

Can we all just stop and take a step back here. Some idiot comes on this website calling Linux users liars, and claiming that the terminal should be dropped (oh, how little this user knows...) and people just jump into a mass debate. A couple of the responses here have even come from some of our most respected contributors.

Come on everyone, calm down. Don't feed the troll.

Nothing to see here - move along.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Yes, he is trolling, but that doesn't mean it isn't a valid point. The majority of the Linux community I have encountered is extremely opinionated and downright rude to new users (except here, and most are ok, but I have actually encountered some who are just plain rude).

And it is nice to debate every now and then, because this is a valid topic, and the majority of Linux users need to re-evaluate how they treat new and old users alike.

I am one of those with the newest equipment, but I know how to make most of it work. My MMO gaming mouse works in Linux, thanks to the good old command line.

Yes, the CLI should never leave any environment. It is just too powerful.

And roky, I'm not mad, I am just engaging some healthy debate, and trying not to turn this into a troll fest. I feel this subject needs some attention. I love open source, but most of the time, I could just do without the community. The regulars here on this site are the exception to the rule, which is why I have stayed.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast