Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by docbop Most my work is on Debian so whatever the default terminal is. The workaround I used on my last gig I installed and second terminal package ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Most my work is on Debian so whatever the default terminal is. The workaround I used on my last gig I installed and second terminal package and set its colors differently. So I used one terminal type and colorset for production servers, and the other terminal type for non-production servers.
    If you used the GUI in debian, it was most likely gnome-terminal, and shouldn't be that hard to do, but it will be a bit before I can look into it. Finals are coming up, but I will keep this in mind. I would probably use this also.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Mine is probably not the area you are looking for, as it sounds like your more interested in applications from your OP.

Although i will mention it in case you are interested

I would love to see the Linux kms and drm modules developed for cross-platform if not both at minimal the drm module.

For those who don't know what they stand for or do, KMS is the "Kernel-Mode-Setting" and DRM is "Direct Rendering Manager". Both are critical modules for graphics card driver software both the proprietry and open-source drivers.

I have a few reasons why i would like these modules become cross-platform:
    1. It provides the whole open-source community the ablity to use the full array of graphics cards available no matter the operating system and the influence and backing that OS has in general. As well has circumventing companies like NVIDIA and AMD in having such a large say in what OS's there GPU's support. (NOTE: i do not have anything against NVIDIA or AMD they do great graphics cards, but it would be nice if there cards supported a larger array of platforms as it leads to more choice).

2. With large portions of code for these modules and related modules like opengl written in java, i do not believe it would be hard to make these modules cross-platform more long and tedious and using the java tools and java comaptible tools available, such as JVM. Making these modules are more platform independent. and so that there is minimal code requires on the kernel for each OS such as some form of plugin.

While i understand there are less direct benefits for linux in the short term, there are actually quite alot of possible long-term benefits in creating such a project.
    1. The major one being that you get a multitude of developers across a huge platform of operating systems probably very willing to contribute and provide time instead of your usual factions of developers from each individual OS.

2. The second biggest long term benefit is because of such a large access to more developers means more resources and therefore allows for less time in the more tedious problems such as bug fixes; and more time in improving such software or developing in other areas like the latest and greatest or even new developments

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3