Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
So here I am at 1:00AM on the Internet and I came across this article: Chronotypes: Are You an Early Bird or a Night Owl? | Mark's Daily Apple Being ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Are You A Night Owl?

So here I am at 1:00AM on the Internet and I came across this article: Chronotypes: Are You an Early Bird or a Night Owl? | Mark's Daily Apple

Being " retired " I do not have a " schedule " so I can go to sleep whenever my body wants to and I can get up at any time also. I find that surfing the Internet when everyone else is sleeping is nice for me as I listen to the jazz on WBGO fm radio!!

Are you a night owl?
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Been a night owl since I was little. Although I can get up in the AM when the need arises, I never liked getting up before the crack of noon.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I'm a night owl too. I work a night shift at the factory and I rotate different nights off every other week. This is my weekend off so I'll be up all night Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I've been researching info on a video card for a computer I am putting together and I'm probably going to post a question on the forums but it may not be tonight. I may go out and look at the stars for a while before I go to bed, they always look so clear in the winter.

I'm a night owl, the results of the survey put me as slightly later than average ... but I think that's as a result of conditioning to fit in with social norms. If I let myself do it I could quite easily be going to bed when others are getting up & getting up in the afternoon ... after about 2 days it becomes a normal pattern. The health effects for night owls are worrying ...

I wouldn't worry too much about those health effects. For most of my life, I've gone to bed between 4 - 5 AM and started waking up around noon or 1 PM. My last physical was pretty clean. Normal pulse, BP and all that good stuff.
    And the concern about night owls eating junk food is bull. I never was a big junk food eater. I like a cupcake once in a while, but I'd rather grab some berries or some salad with chicken or tuna in it.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I think my body is bouncing back from all of those years that I worked more than one job and was involved in too much civic strife. I sort of flow with the cosmic winds now because I can put just about anything off for another day.
    As far as the junk food goes I am guilty of pies, carrot cake and Ben & Jerry's ice cream!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Like others I was a night owl especially since I was a musician in my youth and stayed a night owl when I moved in to computers. As I grew older I started getting up earlier. Now I get up at 4-5am and enjoy the quiet and like OP listen to Jazz and work on my computer.

The negative health studies I have seen in the past, were conducted on shift workers. Most of the shift workers tried to shift back to normal daytime hours on their day off, so that they could be with their family. I think the shifting back and forth creates stress on the body which causes the negative health aspect, but haven't seen any study to test that.
    Registered Linux user #526930

People are typically unable to adjust work patterns to match their type, this means most people attempt to cope with the work patterns and adjust sleep patterns. At best the adjustment will be good (but is probably rare). In reality most are likely to suffer some sleep debt (insufficient sleep) during the working week which they may be able to catch up on none work days. In the worst cases there will be significant sleep debt, insufficient opportunity to catch up on the sleep debt during rest days and almost the equivalent of shift changes from work to rest and rest to work days. There will be fatigue effects which will be most noticable in the last group, but present to some extent in the 2nd group as well.

Changing shift day to night, night to day is stressful on the body. With an understanding family, a well defined shift pattern and suitable approach by the shift worker the stress can be minimised but it is still present.

... action by an individual is needed to avoid/minimise negative health impact ...

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    The negative health studies I have seen in the past, were conducted on shift workers. Most of the shift workers tried to shift back to normal daytime hours on their day off, so that they could be with their family. I think the shifting back and forth creates stress on the body which causes the negative health aspect, but haven't seen any study to test that.
    I worked for IBM for awhile and working graveyard 3 days a week 13 hour shifts. Sounded good at first only working three days a week but it was mess doing what you described. Three nights a week then try to flip around to a daytime person the other 4 days. I did it a couple months and luckily got put back on days. The human body likes consistency not constant change.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast