Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everyone! My name is Thomas. I currently reside in Washington State, USA. I've been a die hard Windows fan, and although I do love my Windows 8, I think ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Hello Everyone!

Hello Everyone!

My name is Thomas. I currently reside in Washington State, USA. I've been a die hard Windows fan, and although I do love my Windows 8, I think its time I get familiar with Linux. I'm 24 years old, love computers, love games, and I'm beginning to love programming/web designing. I'm a die hard EVE Online player, and yes my tags are the same.

Characters in EVE:
    BinaryData
    DreadStarX
    Chray00

In college I took a Ubuntu Linux class. I learned a lot but that was over 5 years ago, and as the saying goes "Use it or Lose It."

I searched for about 10 seconds before I found this wonderful treasure trove of goodies of a Forums.

I'm currently in Columbia Basin Job Corp, learning a soft trade called "Cisco". I thought it would be a good idea to become acquainted again with Linux. I prefer Ubuntu over most Linux Distros, for a variety of reasons.

I have a lot of ideas & goals in life, and I firmly believe that Linux is a superior operating system for my ideas, though both will be supported.

I hope to obtain insane amounts of information from this forum to spread around the globe and my friends!

- Thomas

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you join us. Check out distrowatch.com also for info on different linux and bdsd distro's.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Hello and Welcome! Glad to have you aboard!
    I think you'll find us to be a friendly group of folks. Take a good look around and make yourself at home.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

If you really want to get into programming and web work then Linux is the place to be. Welcome.

Just Joined!
    Thanks guys! I hope to learn a lot from this forums, along with two other Windows Forums I visit. I plan on learning C, C++, and C# for programming languages, and for web languages, SQL, PHP, HTML, XML, and CSS. Lots to learn!

When I return home on the 22nd, I shall be installing the latest version of Ubuntu, finally got my discs! Too bad my school confiscated them. Government ran schools don't like bootable media

Edit: I also plan to get a jump on the Ubuntu Phone Apps as well. I have a few ideas for the OS in regards to Apps.

Quote Originally Posted by DreadStarX View Post
    Thanks guys! I hope to learn a lot from this forums, along with two other Windows Forums I visit. I plan on learning C, C++, and C# for programming languages, and for web languages, SQL, PHP, HTML, XML, and CSS. Lots to learn!
    I did developer support for many years and let me recommend picking one programming language and learn it inside out, write lots of code learn how programs interact with the hardware. After you learn one language inside out learning a second, third, or more will be very simple because its all just differences in keywords and or syntax. C is a great first languae it teaches a lot.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    I did developer support for many years and let me recommend picking one programming language and learn it inside out, write lots of code learn how programs interact with the hardware. After you learn one language inside out learning a second, third, or more will be very simple because its all just differences in keywords and or syntax. C is a great first languae it teaches a lot.
    I planned to start with C. I've been told its an excellent base if you want to learn C++ later on. A lot of the code is similar or the same, but just drawn out and more specific. My end goal in life, after I serve in the USAF for 4 years, is to work for Google, Microsoft, or my all time favorite; CCP Games. I'd love to live in Iceland or somewhere else and work for them.

Welcome to the forums. I really think Linux is one of those things where you can't just be "half in", you've got to go all the way and learn to use it to get things done or you'll never fully understand the power that Linux has to offer.
    Case in point, my buddy in AZ. is a die hard Win7 user. I finally got him to try Point Linux 2.2 and he finally installed it on an older desktop computer that he has. Still, he's just playing with it, he's not totally committed to Linux and because of that he still doesn't fully understand what he can and can't do with it. He has a ECU program for his Buell Motorcycle that needs Windows XP to run. Of course as we all know XP is EOL in April of '14 so he'll be out of luck, or will he?? I tried to tell him that it would probably run great in Linux using WINE, don't think he's give it a try yet but it IS the solution to his "problem" of XP not being supported anymore and having a program that'll need it.
    There's normally always a solution to any problem if you look around and are dedicated enough to find it using Linux. Personally I say Cut the Cord and go all in with Linux and figure out how to do what needs to be done using it. Once you do that you'll never be a slave to Non-Free software again.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Welcome to the forums. I really think Linux is one of those things where you can't just be "half in", you've got to go all the way and learn to use it to get things done or you'll never fully understand the power that Linux has to offer.
    Case in point, my buddy in AZ. is a die hard Win7 user. I finally got him to try Point Linux 2.2 and he finally installed it on an older desktop computer that he has. Still, he's just playing with it, he's not totally committed to Linux and because of that he still doesn't fully understand what he can and can't do with it. He has a ECU program for his Buell Motorcycle that needs Windows XP to run. Of course as we all know XP is EOL in April of '14 so he'll be out of luck, or will he?? I tried to tell him that it would probably run great in Linux using WINE, don't think he's give it a try yet but it IS the solution to his "problem" of XP not being supported anymore and having a program that'll need it.
    There's normally always a solution to any problem if you look around and are dedicated enough to find it using Linux. Personally I say Cut the Cord and go all in with Linux and figure out how to do what needs to be done using it. Once you do that you'll never be a slave to Non-Free software again.
    I agree with this completely, but on the other hand, I'm a DreamSpark Premium account holder. I get 95% of Microsoft Applications for free, the wonders of being a college student. I recently got an email for Visual Studio 2013 Official Release. I'm happy to say I have access to these things.

I know there are a lot of things that Windows can't do well, that Linux does superiorly. I implore it for this. It's ever so expanding, and at an expoential rate, as well. My primary schooling revolves around Windows, and knowing it like the face of the keyboard. I'm currently in Job Corp for Cisco's CCENT. We use nothing but Windows XP, Vista, and 7. 8 isn't supported because Cisco doesn't "approve" of it, and nor does the masses. But we're not here to discuss the difference between Windows & Linux.

It's been many years since I've used Ubuntu, the LAST version I used was 9.10 / 10.04. Those were the last two I got to play with before I left for college. My school frowns upon people using Linux, specifically BackTrack. My laptop runs Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 13.10, and BackTrack 5RC3. Since my school has some issues with people breaking our WiFi Encryption, we've had all of our laptops thoroughly searched, anyone with BackTrack automatically got theirs sent home. My instructor introduced it to me, and suggested we become familiar with it because it was a great asset to him in his days of running networks.

Anyways, I'm here to redip my fingers and toes into the Linux world, who knows, maybe I'll say screw it and take a dive into a new world and leave my old behind. I can't say for sure, but I'm looking forward to seeing what I can learn.

- Thomas

P.S. Sorry for the long response, lots rattling around my head today Excited about my leave on the 22nd to the 1st. I get to see my woman after 4 months of not seeing her

So set up a "Live" USB using UNetbootin with your BackTrack Linux Distro, encrypt it so if they DO find your USB they'll not be able to read it and just boot to it Live when you want/need to use it. That way you'll have Windows on your hard drive so all looks ok to them but you'll have your "Live" USB Op System ready to go to boot to if/when you want to play around with it.