Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Window Manager vs Desktop Environment see here you will want to use menumaker to create the initial menu ... see here ... it may not be in the Debian repos. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Window Manager vs Desktop Environment see here
    you will want to use menumaker to create the initial menu ... see here ... it may not be in the Debian repos.

Ed: example toolbar info
    Code:
    cat /etc/icewm/toolbar 
    prog FireFox /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/48/mozilla-firefox.png firefox
    prog claws-mail /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/48/evolution.png claws-mail
    prog "OpenOffice.org 3.1" /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/48/openofficeorg-writer.png soffice
    prog "Thunar File Manager" /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/48/Thunar.png Thunar
    prog Mousepad /usr/share/icewm/icons/file_32x32.xpm mousepad
    prog xterm /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/48/terminal.xpm xterm
    example menu file ... I have favourites for net and office with information which always appears in the same place in the menu
    Code:
    cat /etc/icewm/menu 
    menufile "All Programs" - /etc/icewm/mmaker-menu-output
    separator
    prog "LibreOffice" /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/48/openofficeorg-writer.png soffice
    prog "Thunar File Manager" /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/48/Thunar.png Thunar
    prog Mousepad /usr/share/icewm/icons/file_32x32.xpm mousepad
    prog xterm /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/48/terminal.xpm xterm
    separator
    menufile "Net" - /etc/icewm/favourites-net
    separator
    menufile "Office" - /etc/icewm/favourites-office
    separator
    menufile "Other" - /etc/icewm/favourites-other
    separator
    example favorites file
    Code:
    cat /etc/icewm/favourites-net 
    separator
    script to update the all programs menu entry after adding applications
    Code:
    cat /etc/icewm/mmaker-update-menu.sh 
    ### create mmaker output for IceWM
    mmaker -ci IceWM > /etc/icewm/mmaker-menu-output
    For me this approach means I have control over where things appear on the menu (minimum change with updates for newbies), can adjust my favourites if I find I'm using chromium instead of firefox etc, but it's still easy to update the menu to show all programs. The default creates .icewm in each users home folder but I find it's easier to admin with /etc/icewm folder, so the .icewm folder in home holds each user theme selection and override for preferences etc.
    Last edited by Jonathan183; 11-23-2013 at 05:46 PM.

Will Point Linux 2.2 run on an old machine?
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

I'm running Point Linux on a Dell L866r(866MHz Pentium III, 512MB of Ram) and it'll run fine. Can't do Compiz effects since I don't think it has enough memory to open the Compiz program too along with the other programs needed to run.
    I'm also running it on my HP/Compaq nc6400's(Core Duo 1.83GHz, 32 bit processor, 2GB Ram) and it runs great and I even have Compiz effects.
    Depending on what you mean by "old" I've bet that it'll probably run just fine.

Thanks, TNFrank! When I say old I mean a 10 year old HP a532x with 512 of RAM and a 160GB hard drive. I'm going to get OSDisc to send me a DVD of Point Linux 2.2 and give it whirl!! Thanks Again!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Personally, I love both Slackware and CRUX. It's a close race with me as to which one I like better.
    They are both quite simple to maintain once you have them up and running, and both are blindingly fast on any but the most ancient of hardware.
    Especially if they are running IceWM.
    You speak for me too. I can't remember who first recomended Crux to me. I think it might have been Ozar. I still regard it as my favorite distro. But Slackware is pleasingly eccentric, perhaps the most "different" of all distros.

I'd vote Debian Stable as the easiest distro to use and update, but it is a bit overloaded with software for my taste.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

My favorite distro hands down is Gentoo/Funtoo with KDE. I am starting to do more QT development, and I have always loved KDE. I have used Gentoo for ages (since it has been in existence) and it is what I am used to. After using it for that long though, it is hard to use other distros. I feel that they are too limiting, and end up going back to Gentoo.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

After checking out a few different Distros over the lasts week+ I've come to the conclusion that it has to be Debian or Ubuntu and it has to be Gnome 2/MATE or Gnome 3. That's about it I guess, LOL

My favorite would be 4) Superb Mini Server 3) Ubuntu-GNOME 2) Scientific Linux Fermi and 1) Debian Sid. While i say that though my number 1 and 2 are really interchangeable as i tend to swap between both of them.

Really though as long as it has GNOME2 or preferably MATE (as it has more advanced features now than GNOME2) i am happy. Although Unity and GNOME Classic (From 3.8 onwards) as grown on me and i quite like using those as well as long as i can configure them to my liking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2