Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Just sittin' here thinking about all the different Linux Distros I've installed and given a look at over the last 8 or so months in my journy with Linux and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Favorite Distros??

Just sittin' here thinking about all the different Linux Distros I've installed and given a look at over the last 8 or so months in my journy with Linux and thinking about the really great ones I've used and some of the stinkers.
    My personal favorite is Point Linux 2.2. It's a pure Debian Distro with a MATE desktop and it's so intuitive and easy to use(at least for me) that it's just a real joy to work with.
    I'd have to say my second choice would be Debian 7.2 with it's Gnome 3 desktop. While I'm not a huge fan of Gnome 3(looks too much like Unity IMHO) I can at least get around on it and find stuff that I'm looking for.
    If I couldn't use Point Linux then I could probably get by with Debian 7.2 and Gnome 3.
    I guess if I had to be pushed into a third choice then Mint 15 MATE would get my vote. Again, like Point Linux is has the MATE desktop that I find easy to get around on and I guess a plus would be the Ubuntu Repos to draw software from.
    So, what do some of ya'll like?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    For me, it is less about the distro these days and more about the environment. All the distros I have tried are pretty easy to set up and get working so as long as I can install and configure Xfce to my liking I am pretty much happy. I don't really have the patience for source based distros as I can't be bothered with the compile times.

Currently my main computers are running Fedora 19 and my playputer is running a minimal Ubuntu with openbox and docky. If I had to choose my top three, then at the moment, they would be:

In third place, openSUSE with Xfce. It has the best installer of any distro and is wonderfully stable and looks good out of the box.

In second place, Fedora with Xfce. It takes a lot more setting up than openSUSE and occasionally it is annoying with software that is not in the repositories which therefore needs to be compiled. Very bleeding edge software combined with remarkable stability.

The winner is Xubuntu. This is purely based on the fact that I always go back to it, even if it takes a year or so of distro hopping before I do. "Hey Xubu baby, it's me... you know I love you and now so do I. How could I be sure if I didn't try the others..."

A quick note for those of you thinking hmmmm... Only try this logic on an actual woman if you want her to be wearing some interesting and bespoke jewellry made from your man-parts.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

I know desktop environment plays a large part as to weather a Distro works for me or not. I installed Fedora 19 on my #3 after I'd had Debian 7.2/Gnome 3 on it and to tell you the truth, other then the package manager a person would be hard pressed to tell which was which. I started with Ubuntu 12.04 all those months ago so I just got use to "apt-get", it's almost second nature to me now so that's what I tend to stick with.
    Also, I love the stability of Debian and Debian based Distros like Ubuntu but figure why be one step removed with Ubuntu when I can get the "real deal" and just go Debian from the get go.
    I know there's quite a few desktops to choose from but for me Gnome(either Gnome 2 as it is not MATE or Gnome 3) IS Linux IMHO. Gnome and the Linux Kernel just seem to go together.
    I've played around with xfce, LXDE, KDE, Cinnamon, Unity, Enlightenment, and probably some others I can't even remember but MATE is my "go to" desktop because it's so simple and easy to find stuff with that my frustration level is non-nonexistent with it. Gnome 3 looks newer but it's a bit more complicated to find things with but at least you can pull down a "super menu" and see everything you have installed unlike Unity which makes you go into the software center to find your installed programs.
    I guess if we wanted to boil it down to DE's instead of Dirtros then I'd go Gnome 2/MATE as #1, Gnome 3 as #2 and I'd probably throw in KDE as #3 but not all KDE DE's are equal. Kwheezy had so many pre-installed apps that I really had a hard time finding what I was looking for but Kubuntu was manageable even if it wasn't as easy as MATE for me to use.

Over last few years my work has moved from Solaris and RedHat to Debian servers. At home I was using Centos, but moved to Ubuntu since had to use it on desktop at work. These days using Xbuntu (don't like unity), but thinking of moving back to Debian with xfce since my servers are Debian. Want to install something with MATE to check it out.

I use Ubuntu Studio as #1 (XFCE), my old laptop has Point Linux due to lightweight and my old PIII is running Ubuntu 12.04, but soon I will swapping that out with something else.

Ran Opensuse as main for a while, would still use that but Ubuntu Studio seems to fit my needs better at the moment. So I would rate it as #2.

I ran CentOS CLI only for a short while on the PIII and have loaded it with GUI previously and would rate it #3 and that may be what goes back on the old PIII.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Want to install something with MATE to check it out.
    Give Point Linux 2.2 a try. It's MATE desktop is actually better IMHO then the Mint 15 MATE version that I ran before I made the switch.

Arch, Gentoo, Debian - all with IceWM.

I used to like Mint Debian Edition and would have had that as third until gnome3 came along. I actually run IceWM with liquid theme and Mint-X icons for the toolbar. I started off with SuSE and KDE, switched to Gnome when KDE 4 came out, and switched to IceWM when Gnome 3 came out. I was actually using mainly IceWM for a while but set other users up with Gnome. It was easier switching people to IceWM which I only need to do once rather than switch to Gnome 3 until the next fad comes along and things change again.

I never really got into Xfce although I still use Thunar ... I never really got into LXDE although I still use PCManFM ... I think my experience with KDE and Gnome has managed to put me off desktop environments completely

Ed: I also use the cli more than I used to

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<
    all with IceWM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Personally, I love both Slackware and CRUX. It's a close race with me as to which one I like better.
    They are both quite simple to maintain once you have them up and running, and both are blindingly fast on any but the most ancient of hardware.
    Especially if they are running IceWM.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Everyone keeps talking about IceWM, I may have to check it out. Not sure which WM my Debian install has, probably X-11 if I'm understanding ya'll right. Even after 8 months I'm still kind of "new" on some points of Linux. LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast