Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been messing around lately for a good "play" Distro to throw on my #3 that'd look nice and still be useable. Well, I ran across Ultimate Edition Ultimate Edition ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Now THIS is a beautiful MATE DE.

I've been messing around lately for a good "play" Distro to throw on my #3 that'd look nice and still be useable. Well, I ran across Ultimate Edition
    Ultimate Edition and it looks totally awesome. It's a MATE desktop but it doesn't look bland or boring at all. I'm going to install it on my #3(doing it as I type) and give it a try. It's Debian/Ubuntu based so it's good for us "apt-get" guys. If you're looking for something that looks really nice but is still functional and familiar then check UE MATE.

Here's a little update. I installed Ultimate Edition 3.6 Lite and it is very sparse on the installed apps out of the box, which I really like. Many Distros are bloated with stuff I'll never use IMHO but this one only had a few things installed so I could add my favorites to it and they don't get lost in a bunch of other stuff.
    Also, the themes are somewhat cartoonish which isn't a bad thing, it gives it a very modern, comic book look which is nice for a "play" Distro and that's what I wanted for my #3 laptop, something that looks cool that I can play with. My "working" Distro is and will for the foreseeable future be Point Linux but since both PL and UE have the MATE desktop it's easy to switch back and forth between them. Anyway, for someone looking for something fun to mess with but who'd still like something easy to configure I think this Distro is worth checking out.

P.S.
    Something to keep in mind, 3.6 was buggy as heck with Network issues so download 3.7 which has those issues fixed.
    Last edited by TNFrank; 11-25-2013 at 03:47 PM.