Find the answer to your Linux question:
as long as you're not using Unity. I've been playing around with several versions of Ubuntu over the last week. I've tried Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu and now I've got Ubuntu/Gnome ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ubuntu isn't all that bad...................

as long as you're not using Unity. I've been playing around with several versions of Ubuntu over the last week. I've tried Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu and now I've got Ubuntu/Gnome on my #3 "play" laptop and it's actually not too bad at all.
    I guess for me it's more about the desktop then it is the underling Op System. As long as it'd Debian based(which Ubuntu IS) then I can use "apt-get" and I'm happy as a clam.
    Of course Gnome 3 DOES look a lot like Unity in some regards but still, it's not Unity so it's ok IMHO.
    It's funny because my first Distro was Ubuntu 12.04LTS and I actually liked Unity until I tried Mint 15 MATE and found out what Gnome 2/MATE was like at which point I no longer liked Unity.
    I think if you want to try out different desktops then all the different flavors of Ubuntu are great since they install easily and have good wifi support generally.
    So, I guess I'm not an Ubuntu Hater as much as I just don't like Unity. Glad I got that off of my chest, I'll sleep better now. LOL.

Your next stop should be Debian Testing.
    Minimal install.
    I think you would do okay with it.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I downloaded Debian 7.2 Testing and tried to install it but it was a no go with my wifi and YES I placed the latest firmware for my wifi card into the "firmware" folder so it'd be there, it just didn't want to work.
    I also tried to mod my source.list to Jessie over Wheezy and that totally borked my Debian 7.2 Stable install so I guess if I want Gnome 3 to play around with AND Firefox it'll have to be via Ubuntu and not Debian. At least Ubuntu is an off shoot of Debian so it's all good.

Minimal install usually doesn't have wireless firmware installed by default.
    But once you tackle that little hurdle, you have a system that is ready for what you want to stack up on it.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I have the Firmware for my Intel Wireless card downloaded and I always stick it into the "firmware" folder after I let UNetbootin do it's thing setting up the "Live" USB. I played that little game with a Net Install of Debian 7.2 Stable a couple months ago and found it was just easier to put the firmware into the folder on the USB stick rather then have a different USB stick with it on it.
    For some reason it just didn't want to find it. Not that it's a big deal, Ubuntu is close enough to Debian that it's practically the same thing IMHO and both have Gnome 3 desktops so you really can't tell much of a difference if any at all once you're logged into the system.
    Either way I'm not giving up my Point Linux on my main laptops. It's my "go to" Distro of choice. My #3 is just for messing around on and playing with, that's why I like to have something "different" on it if I can.