Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
I was reading abut some fossils found in New Mexico, and the following quote was in the news article, "the carbon dioxide levels in the Permian atmosphere were probably three ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Dinosaurs and global warming

I was reading abut some fossils found in New Mexico, and the following quote was in the news article, "the carbon dioxide levels in the Permian atmosphere were probably three times what they are today on Earth,". If global warming comes from cars, industry, and other man made sources, how many cars and industrial plants were the dinosaurs of the permian period using? Maybe dinosaur flatulence was worse than cows.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Linux Guru
    living in the Permian Basin Myself and familiar with the Desert Southwest extensively.
    I can categorically state that our contribution to global warming is love of Chilies and Beer.

Sounds like Dinosaur living to me. As Fred Flintstone says. Yabba Dabba Do.

Just Joined!
    "The Permian Period (along with the Paleozoic Era) ended with the*largest mass extinction in Earth's history
    , in which nearly 90% of marine species and 70% of terrestrial species died out.[6]
    *It would take well into the Triassic for life to recover from this catastrophe."

just something I read @:

Permian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Does the clay second guess the potter?
    I am just a clay figurine watching other clay figurines misuse a gift, then blaming other clay figurines who do not agree with their inanity for misuse of the gift!

Happy Thanksgiving!

The question is, Does man cause the co2 emissions which some claim causes global warming, or does nature do that on its own? As the co2 levels of the permian period suggest, our planet has a long term cycle of co2 levels that man has nothing to do with.

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    The question is, Does man cause the co2 emissions which some claim causes global warming, or does nature do that on its own? As the co2 levels of the permian period suggest, our planet has a long term cycle of co2 levels that man has nothing to do with.
    The problem is that carbon dioxide has been slowly pulled out of the atmosphere over millions of years by lots of different types of life - mostly plant life. It dies off and gets submerged under land and the carbon leaves the system. Eventually primates like us turn up, perfectly accustomed to the lower-carbon levels of atmosphere and the surface temperatures that brings, and we dig up all the carbon deposits and, through burning them, return them to the atmosphere. And people wonder why we have global warming...

The release of carbon into the atmosphere is the primary cause of global warming - it does happen naturally, but we've definitely accelerated it. The Earth, as the dinosaur evidence is showing, can handle the change in climate. It'll survive just nicely. The problem is that mankind might not.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

I'm skeptical about the whole man causes global warming idea, for several reasons:
    1) A single major volcanic eruption like Mt St Helens puts more co2 into the atmosphere than man does in a 100 or more years
    2) Burning fossil fuels accounts for only a small percentage of the total co2 emissions
    3) I'm old enough to remember back in the 60's when the same theory was used to "prove" that we were going through global cooling, and were facing another ice age. Accompanied by "data" showing winters were getting colder, and avg temps were going down.
    4) We know that the planet goes through periodic temperature swings, as evidenced by cycles of ice ages. Ice ages happen about every 10 - 15 thousand years, The last one being about 10,000 years ago.

Put it all together, and I'm not sure the theory of global warning is correct, or that if it is, man's contribution has all that much effect. Kind of like little Johnny, who's father abondoned the family when he was 2 concluding that daddy left because of him. While a crying baby may have added to family tensions, daddy was most likely going to leave at some point anyway. Man may contribute some co2, but if global warming happens, it will not be because of man, but was going to happen anyway.

The Permian global warming was caused by a catastrophic volcanic event. Imagine the whole of Siberia as a single colossal volcano: that was more or less what happened. Such exceptional events tell us squat about the possible effects of anthropogenic global warming.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I'm skeptical about the whole man causes global warming idea, for several reasons:
    1) A single major volcanic eruption like Mt St Helens puts more co2 into the atmosphere than man does in a 100 or more years
    2) Burning fossil fuels accounts for only a small percentage of the total co2 emissions
    3) I'm old enough to remember back in the 60's when the same theory was used to "prove" that we were going through global cooling, and were facing another ice age. Accompanied by "data" showing winters were getting colder, and avg temps were going down.
    4) We know that the planet goes through periodic temperature swings, as evidenced by cycles of ice ages. Ice ages happen about every 10 - 15 thousand years, The last one being about 10,000 years ago.

Put it all together, and I'm not sure the theory of global warning is correct, or that if it is, man's contribution has all that much effect. Kind of like little Johnny, who's father abondoned the family when he was 2 concluding that daddy left because of him. While a crying baby may have added to family tensions, daddy was most likely going to leave at some point anyway. Man may contribute some co2, but if global warming happens, it will not be because of man, but was going to happen anyway.
    Unfortunately this isn't a matter of belief - you can be as sceptical as you like, but it doesn't change the results of the science. Empirical science has shown that CO2 is one of the greenhouse gasses - along with Nitrous Oxide, Methane and others.

We cannot change the effect of CO2 emissions from volcanic eruption, so that's going to happen anyway. But digging up carbon that is deeply buried in the upper stretches of the Earth's crust then releasing it as CO2 cannot help with global warming, it only makes it worse. The 20th Century reliance upon fossil fuels increases the dangers that mankind faces. What we need really is a break from 'Big Oil' and a move to clean electrical power harvested from the current environment, i.e. from carbon in the surface (from wood and growing plants) and from the sun (including geomagnetic/geoelectric, not just light) and from other ambient sources such as wind and wave power. This is the 21st Century - we should be able to do power much better by now.

Anyway, this is borderline political and religious, so its getting close to breaking two forum rules. So I'll shut up now.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    The total amount of co2 released by all the volcanoes in the world, is less than 1% of the amount produced from fossil fuels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    The Earth, as the dinosaur evidence is showing, can handle the change in climate. It'll survive just nicely. The problem is that mankind might not.
    Why is that a problem?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast