Find the answer to your Linux question:
My wife said I could spend 1,000.00 on a new one. I currently run Fedora 19 and was looking for suggestions on processors, MB, memory, Video card, etc that all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I'm looking for help building a new PC

My wife said I could spend 1,000.00 on a new one. I currently run Fedora 19 and was looking for suggestions on processors, MB, memory, Video card, etc that all play well with Linux. The PC will mainly be used for flash based games.

1,000? A thousand what? Euros? Pounds? If it's either of those, then it seems a lot of money to be spending on something for flash based games. You can do those on a 200 quid laptop.

General advice is to buy mid-range processor, memory and hard disk and sink your money into the video card as the system will play games better that way.

I just got an AMD-A8 with built in video chip, and its brilliant for what I paid. I did the mainboard, memory, CPU/Video and a small HDD for less than 200 quid.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    1,000? A thousand what? Euros? Pounds? If it's either of those, then it seems a lot of money to be spending on something for flash based games. You can do those on a 200 quid laptop.

1,000.00 US dollars :P
    I have kids and grandkids and they all end up playing games :P but I have noticed Ram and CPU on current system get maxed out easily with those games.

General advice is to buy mid-range processor, memory and hard disk and sink your money into the video card as the system will play games better that way.

I just got an AMD-A8 with built in video chip, and its brilliant for what I paid. I did the mainboard, memory, CPU/Video and a small HDD for less than 200 quid.
    Whats the best video card to use with Linux ? I have had to jump thru some hoops in the past with the current nvidia card.

Google hits galore on building a pc

How to Build a Linux Gaming PC | Maximum PC

Build a Killer Linux Gaming Machine for $430 - Werkspace

Plus enough money left over to buy some games and celebrate at the bar and buy some round of drinks to boot.
    Video Card?
    http://linuxhcl.com/
    You see something you like. Use the search box in the above link site.
    Happy Trails, Rok
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Are we talking Desktop here?? If so why not just buy a good used one then upgrade any parts like GPU, RAM and Hard Drive to what you'd want? That way you'd save a lot of cash on the build since you can get a used desktop computer for half or less then the same one would cost new or if you built similar new.

I build high end gaming machines (desktops) because I play a LOT of games, and my advice for Linux is to go Intel processors and Nvidia video cards. AMD processors are fine (and I have one, AMD FX8120 8 core) but the Intel i5 and i7 series are much better for games.

Also, do not skimp on the power supply. That is the single most important part of your build.

If you need detailed help, I will help you pick out parts and where to buy them for the best price. Just let me know. Think carefully about what you want to do with the PC, because if you only play browser based games you may not want top of the line (although, some browser based flash games are quite taxing on the system).

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just one opinion--

Intel Core i7-3930K
    GeForce GTX 770
    Rosewill CAPSTONE-750 750W Power Supply
    8GB RAM and mobo may take you over the limit, but it will be close.

Best wishes!
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven View Post
    I build high end gaming machines (desktops) because I play a LOT of games, and my advice for Linux is to go Intel processors and Nvidia video cards. AMD processors are fine (and I have one, AMD FX8120 8 core) but the Intel i5 and i7 series are much better for games.

Also, do not skimp on the power supply. That is the single most important part of your build.

If you need detailed help, I will help you pick out parts and where to buy them for the best price. Just let me know. Think carefully about what you want to do with the PC, because if you only play browser based games you may not want top of the line (although, some browser based flash games are quite taxing on the system).
    Yea the kids and grandkids play anything and everything. Personally I enjoy one called Edgeworld from kabam. It is flash/browser based and it is getting almost unplayable on my current machine. My intention is to try and "over" build a little so it is a few years before the machine would be to the point of almost not running the games again. I'll look into the i7's and would you have a prefrence on Video cards from nvidia... do you use the "blob" drivers from nvidia or the kmods from rpmfusion? Also any ram suggestions? is 8 enough or should I be looking more toward 12 or 16 ?

Quote Originally Posted by sdeturck View Post
    Yea the kids and grandkids play anything and everything. Personally I enjoy one called Edgeworld from kabam. It is flash/browser based and it is getting almost unplayable on my current machine. My intention is to try and "over" build a little so it is a few years before the machine would be to the point of almost not running the games again. I'll look into the i7's and would you have a prefrence on Video cards from nvidia... do you use the "blob" drivers from nvidia or the kmods from rpmfusion? Also any ram suggestions? is 8 enough or should I be looking more toward 12 or 16 ?
    If you're getting an nVidia, take a look at the chipset support list in the official nVidia drivers before you select a video card - sometimes your video chipset can be so new its not made its way into the official driver updates. I've been there before with a new video card - it gets supported eventually, but you end up having to wait. It's best to check before you part with your cash. The kmod route is always a little behind the driver updates from nVidia, but I'd pick the kmod drivers every time - I don't like the fannying around building video drivers myself after each kernel update.

As far as memory goes the soup-of-the-day is 8GB, I wouldn't recommend going lower than that, but you don't really need more either. You'd probably be better off putting money into the video card rather than buying extra memory for the computer. It's all down to your personal budget, but RAM prices tumble all the time and it's an easy upgrade later if you feel you don't have enough.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/