Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, I finally made it! Of course I can't actually do anything with it because there are no apps (they get added in blfs). But it boots, I can log ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

LFS boots!

Well, I finally made it! Of course I can't actually do anything with it because there are no apps (they get added in blfs). But it boots, I can log in as root and I know the network is up because I can ping Google.

I've checked all the logs and they look sane. I feel very pleased with myself.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

I once built LFS too. When the system actually booted and I was able to log in I too was thrilled. It was a lot of work to install that Linux system. Took a lot of time and a lot of reading (repeatedly reading the same docs) but in the end it was a fun project.
    Glenn
    Powered by Fedora

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    For some reason I am seeing a dark and stormy night, a castle and then a lab. I am hearing "It's ALIIIIVE!"

Speaking as someone who accepts that he'll probably never have the patience to have a serious go at LFS, may I say well done. Are you going to go BLFS?
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    Well, I finally made it! Of course I can't actually do anything with it because there are no apps (they get added in blfs). But it boots, I can log in as root and I know the network is up because I can ping Google.

I've checked all the logs and they look sane. I feel very pleased with myself.
    good stuff ... got to a similar point myself about a year ago and decided I'd need a package manager. I still have the basic install and started working my way through blfs ... but stalled at the package manager decision point. I decided guix was probably the way for me to go but put things to one side - late in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Speaking as someone who accepts that he'll probably never have the patience to have a serious go at LFS, may I say well done. Are you going to go BLFS?
    Of course! LFS is no bloody use by itself. But I haven't quite got to the end of the book. Aparently there's still a bit of tidying up to do.

I've often wondered, is it actually a good learning experience or do you just end up blindly following instructions?
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I've often wondered, is it actually a good learning experience or do you just end up blindly following instructions?
    Well, you can just follow the instructions, but I didn't. Much of the material, especially the configuration options used for the builds, is well explained. For commands (and there were a lot of sed edits) I used the man pages to see exactly what the edit did. Often I had the relevant file listing on another terminal both before and after the edit. So yes, I think I did learn quite a bit.

I cheated occasionally. I had to put an "illegal" symbolic link into one of my library directories to get gcc to build correctly the first time. There is a correspondence going on about that currently in the mailing list so I hope I can learn what actually went wrong. And I didn't install GRUB because I don't like it and anyway I don't need it. I have two copies of lilo on this machine (one in Debian for regular use and one in Crux for emergencies), so all I had to do to make lfs bootable was to add a stanza to both lilo.conf files and then run one of them.

I think it's been good fun. In fact it was quite addictive while it was going on.

So like everything else, you get out what you put in. I really wish I had the patience to have a go at it but I know I would go mad waiting for the compiles to complete. That's what happened when I tried Crux and building FreeBSD!
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

Hey Elija, just noticed your new avatar. Good one.
    Registered Linux user #526930