Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
So I was reading about the temperatures of 25 to 31 degrees below zero and the goose bumps filled both of my arms!! I have never been in cold like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Are You In The Arctic Vortex??

So I was reading about the temperatures of 25 to 31 degrees below zero and the goose bumps filled both of my arms!!
    I have never been in cold like that. As a matter of fact I seldom go out when it is below 20 degrees. Brrrr.......
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Linux Enthusiast
    Argh. I hate cold weather. I worked in Edmonton AB for a number of years. The coldest I was out in was -50C (-58F). There is nothing good I can say about it. It will dip below freezing here in Victoria BC but it doesn't do it often I'm pleased to say.

How do you keep the water lines from freezing up that far below zero?? Wouldn't your lungs freeze up just breathing air that cold? Good Grief!!
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid

The last I heard, there were blizzards in New York and New Jersey. What's going on, Lucky?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Hazel, NY and NJ got some snow, but right now freezing rain is falling and everyone has to walk in the streets because the sidewalks are more slippery than a hockey arena.
    Wisconsin and the surrounding states resemble the conditions in the movie " The Day After Tomorrow " where there isn't any school being held because it is too far below zero for children to be outside.
    I'll come back with a link!
    http://apnews.myway.com/article/20140105/DAB4O44O0.html
    Linux user # 414321

Just Joined!
    I'm currently in Iowa we haven't seen to much in the way of snow. However sometime in the morning it will be close to -50 to -60. Good thing i work at 4am in a building with poor heating.

Now that is nut cracking cold!!
    Linux user # 414321

Linux Enthusiast
    The water lines are buried very deep in places that cold. You don't leave skin exposed and don't breath deeply when outside ... and move away as soon as possible. Oil gets so thick in a car engine that you have to have a block heater and if you are parked somewhere where plugging in isn't possible, start your car every couple of hours. On the brightside no unwanted visitors come knocking at your door.

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

The forecast was -25, but it's only about -20. I plan to go out later when the wind is a little stronger and it may get to -50 with the windchill. I have not experienced that before. There was a piece on the news the other night that the previous windchill calculation (the method changed a few years ago) would have been around -75 in such conditions.

There may still be water later line breaks, but we've had a few good snows, which works as insulation. If there is little snow cover, then the frost line becomes driven deeper into the ground putting some water lines at risk -- Frost line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We now live in a suburb, and the density of buildings and population is far less then a few years ago when we lived in the inner city (between the downtowns of Minneapolis and Saint Paul). Our house is across the street from the University of Minnesota experimental fields, so there is very little in the way of an urban heat shield here -- Urban heat island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note that this is quite cold, although not unheard of; I can recall many New Years Eve parties during periods of -10 to -20.

This kind of weather can be shocking to recently arrived cultures. I recall seeing a display at the Minnesota Historical Society Somali | Becoming Minnesotan that noted that members of the Somali community were particularly affected by the harsh winters, as can well be imagined.

This is a land of contrasts. When I was working at the Minnesota Supercomputer Center, very close to downtown Minneapolis, one summer Sunday the temperature went over 100. I walked out onto the upstairs patio, and could almost feel the moisture being sucked out of me.

We'll get though this, we always have, and it'll make us stronger ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

I went to the corner store to get a paper and I have been back home for over an hour but I am still shivering from going out into the 8 degree weather outside!!
    Linux user # 414321

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast