Find the answer to your Linux question:
Some of you may have heard of Nest. It's an intelligent home thermostat that's been around for some time. you can control it from a smartphone so that, if you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Don't use Nest!

Some of you may have heard of Nest. It's an intelligent home thermostat that's been around for some time. you can control it from a smartphone so that, if you know you will be late home, the heating will not come on until - say - 15 minutes before your actual return.

Now Google have acquired Nest. So why are they suddenly interested in thermostats? Of course they aren't. They're interested in you. Do you really want Google (and perhaps the NSA as well) knowing exactly when you are at home and when you are out? I'd steer clear of Nest in future.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Yet another reason to never upgrade from my dirt cheap cell phone!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Here's a nice fightback article from Ars Technica. Someone is designing an open-source replacement for Nest based on a board called SparkCore, which is apparently something like an Arduino.

Particularly interesting in this article is the link showing what Google might do with your smart thermostat data. I suggest you read it and then tell me I'm paranoid.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close