Find the answer to your Linux question:
...on a mail, of the sender? I just got a mail NOT from a Google domain, so it's not the Google Plus picture of the company.... so where the hell ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

How does Gmail get the picture it shows?

...on a mail, of the sender? I just got a mail NOT from a Google domain, so it's not the Google Plus picture of the company....

so where the hell did Gmail get it from?

Set your email client to show the full email header that will give you more info on the source of the email. How to do that depends on what email client your using.

Just Joined!
    I'm going to make a guess - the email is in html format. Thus - it picks it up from the referred url location, just like your browser does otherwise.

The only alternative, so far as I know, is for the picture to be an attachment.

Linux User
    What do you mean the "referred url location"? There's no field in a mail header for the pic of the sender? Where is that pic hosted?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Typically the email content is HTML (and Text for those of us who don't allow HTML messages) and that's where the img tag will be. The img tag will refer to the remote location of the image.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    He is not talking about the email content.

It is possible to upload a profile picture to your Google account and if you do, everyone will see this picture next to your email address in their contact list.
    The weird thing is that you can see pictures of the sender next to other email addresses too, not just Gmail (including people who have never sent you a single email). Where does Google find those pictures? That's the question...