Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm Jim Leimer and I hail from washington dc usa...and currently using Ubuntu 13.10 64bit....Learning linux and hopefully to program apps and such......
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red face Greetings

I'm Jim Leimer and I hail from washington dc usa...and currently using Ubuntu 13.10 64bit....Learning linux and hopefully to program apps and such...

Learn Linux won't take long, learning to program app's will take some time if you never programmed before. So get some coffee and dig in.

Don't forget to have fun.

Welcome to the forum. We'll try not to hold where your from against you. Glad to have you join us.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Linux aps are written in C or C++, so those are the languages you'll need to learn if you don't know one of them already. There is an excellent GNU manual on C.

All the Linux ibraries, of course, are free software so you are free to use them in your programs any way you like, and they all have online manuals. Just google the name of the library you are interested in plus "manual".

Watch out for addiction though!
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Linux Engineer
    Not to be disputatious but Linux programs are written in all sorts of languages. System programming is usually done in C or C++ but these days is also done in Ruby, Python and others. There are people who say Haskell makes a good systems language.

Officially the kernel itself is only programmed in C (not even C++) by edict of Torvald but if you don't have an aspirations of seeing your changes in the kernel proper you can certainly use other languages on your own.

Linux supports a vast array of programming languages.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    Not to be disputatious but Linux programs are written in all sorts of languages. System programming is usually done in C or C++ but these days is also done in Ruby, Python and others. There are people who say Haskell makes a good systems language.

Officially the kernel itself is only programmed in C (not even C++) by edict of Torvald but if you don't have an aspirations of seeing your changes in the kernel proper you can certainly use other languages on your own.

Linux supports a vast array of programming languages.
    Disputatious just became my new favorite word. That is excellent!!!

Just Joined!
    Oh, and welcome to the forum, Jim! . I very much enjoy this particular forum as I'm always pleasantly humbled by the bright minds and problem solvers who are always eager to help out. As a former Windoze fan-boy, I promise that you will learn to love Linux if you stick with it. I encourage you to give CentOS a look as well if you think you'll get exposed to Linux at work as it is an open source version of Red Hat Linux. Welcome!

Linux Newbie
    Cheers James and welcome.