Find the answer to your Linux question:
I had such a very bad day today, trying to install Linux on my new laptop. First, it's very annoying trying to start Linux from my USB flash drive. No ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I had such a very bad day today, can you cheer me up?

I had such a very bad day today, trying to install Linux on my new laptop.

First, it's very annoying trying to start Linux from my USB flash drive. No matter what I do, it always starts with Windows 8. I even have trouble getting into BIOS setup as Windows 8 automatically loads itself.

Googling about it, I found a way to boot from my USB flash drive.

I have successfully booted and installed Ubuntu 13.10 from my USB flash drive. First thing I've done after successful install is to update Ubuntu. After the updated, restarted laptop, got into login, then got stuck on black screen with only my mouse pointer.

Restarted again, got into login prompt, then stuck again with a black screen with my mouse pointer.

This time, I tried installing Linux Mint 16 from the same USB flash drive. It was not successful. LM installation crashed before it finished installing. Tried it twice and still it crashed during installation.

Now, I'm back to Windows 8.

It took me 2hrs and 30 minutes to backup all of my files. Estimated time restoring them is 4 hours

All for nothing.

Linux Engineer
    'Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.' Bill Gates
    (let's just say Bill has learned a lot over the years)

Sorry to hear you are having trouble ... just think what could have got in your mailbox

Just Joined!
    Try Manjaro. It installed easy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tsolorio View Post
    Try Manjaro. It installed easy for me.
    He's posted before if it's the same laptop that there was no current video driver for it, then the headphone jack wouldn't work so who knows what's going on.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    He's posted before if it's the same laptop that there was no current video driver for it, then the headphone jack wouldn't work so who knows what's going on.
    Ah, I hadn't checked on that.

To OP: This laptop wouldn't happen to have an NVIDIA card would it? Correct me if I'm mistaken but from what I've read NVIDIA refuses to support Linux. If the laptop is new I'd take it back for a refund/exchange.

Linux Engineer
    Nvidia provides Linux drivers - I don't know how active they are though or if they have them for all their cards but my experience has been good.