Find the answer to your Linux question:
Kali Linux 1.0.6 looks like it's going to be my "go to" Distro from here on out. I started with Ubuntu 12.04LTS but didn't care for Unity. Moved to Mint ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Think I finally found my "Go To" Distro.

Kali Linux 1.0.6 looks like it's going to be my "go to" Distro from here on out. I started with Ubuntu 12.04LTS but didn't care for Unity. Moved to Mint 15 MATE which was a bit better. Then I found Point Linux 2.2 which is Debian based with MATE DE and stuck with it for quite a while. After finding out about Tweak Tools for GNOME I played around with Ubuntu/GNOME and it was decent enough but Kali is Debian based with GNOME 3 Classic so it's modern with the "old school" look and feel that I love AND it has pre-installed SDR support out of the box so I can play around with Gqrx to check out RF stuff with my rtl dongle.
    Sure, it also has a ton of other stuff installed that I don't have a foggy clue as to how to use but hey, rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it, LOL.
    Yep, looks like Kali and I are in for a long term relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Sure, it also has a ton of other stuff installed that I don't have a foggy clue as to how to use but hey, rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it, LOL.
    Yep, looks like Kali and I are in for a long term relationship.
    Well just be sure to have a good excuse for all that extra stuff if some three-letter agency asks you why? <grin>

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Well just be sure to have a good excuse for all that extra stuff if some three-letter agency asks you why? <grin>
    Why should any "three-letter agency" care as long as I'm not using it for nefarious purposes?

Just Joined!
    tanks for the post. i'm looking for something lightweight to replace ubuntu on old pc (age 11).

Quote Originally Posted by dwpbike View Post
    tanks for the post. i'm looking for something lightweight to replace ubuntu on old pc (age 11).
    Debian with GNOME 3 Classic DE should be a bit lighter weight then Ubutntu with Unity but Kali IS a huge Distro at 3.2MB so it will take up some drive space to install. Still, with all the tools you get I think it's worth it if you have the space.

http://www.thesecurityblogger.com/?p=3320

Just Joined!
    I am actually moving the opposite direction, before openSUSE was my secondary distro but now its my primary.
    Meanwhile the new upcoming Ubuntu 14.04 may be my new fallback, unlike most I actually sort of like unity and it seems to be getting some nice features for 14.04.

Give Ubuntu/GNOME a try MadmanRB. GNOME 3 looks similar to Unity but for some odd reason I actually like it once I set it up with Tweak Tools but don't really care for Unity anymore now that I've used a few other DE's. I'm curious to see how well 14.04LTS works, I'd wait a month or two before I downloaded it and installed it, that way they'll get the bugs worked out of the Distro so YOU won't have to be the lab rat that tests it for them, LOL

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Give Ubuntu/GNOME a try MadmanRB. GNOME 3 looks similar to Unity but for some odd reason I actually like it once I set it up with Tweak Tools but don't really care for Unity anymore now that I've used a few other DE's. I'm curious to see how well 14.04LTS works, I'd wait a month or two before I downloaded it and installed it, that way they'll get the bugs worked out of the Distro so YOU won't have to be the lab rat that tests it for them, LOL
    No I actually really hate Gnome shell and the direction that gnome in general is going.
    My favored desktop is KDE but Kubuntu is nothing special these days.
    If I were to use a KDE spin of Ubuntu I would use Mint KDE or Netrunner.

Just Joined!
    IMO I have been looking at LXDE based linux versions, Seeing as I am an avid gamer and I need that extra bit of performance. I heard Kali Linux was previously BackTrack Linux (Used mainly for 'security' testing purposes).