Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By docbop
It's been suggested that I post in the coffee lounge, so... here's a post I'm currently learning programming, I'm interested in learning and using Linux (though as of yet have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

how do

It's been suggested that I post in the coffee lounge, so... here's a post

I'm currently learning programming, I'm interested in learning and using Linux (though as of yet have no experience).

I have some computers that I'm hoping to be able to set up soon with Linux to test it out.

Cheers

Welcome.

A good way to learn to program is think of something you'd like to create and use it as you learning vehicle. I know a kids who decided he wanted to learn to program and liked games. He wrote a simple text based game like the old Zork. Not only did he learn to program, but he learn a lot about create game storyline and background info for the game. It took him over a year to write the game, but he went from zero programming skill to an excellent programmer and met a lot of other programmers locally and online who helped him develop the game.
    Rubberman likes this.

Great to have you join us. Welcome!
    Registered Linux user #526930

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Welcome.

A good way to learn to program is think of something you'd like to create and use it as you learning vehicle. I know a kids who decided he wanted to learn to program and liked games. He wrote a simple text based game like the old Zork. Not only did he learn to program, but he learn a lot about create game storyline and background info for the game. It took him over a year to write the game, but he went from zero programming skill to an excellent programmer and met a lot of other programmers locally and online who helped him develop the game.
    Cheers docbop - yeah I think that once I get going I'll be able to find myself plenty to do with it Doubt it will be within gaming, but probably something creative.

I spent quite a few years producing music

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    Great to have you join us. Welcome!
    Cheers Mason!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chup View Post
    Cheers docbop - yeah I think that once I get going I'll be able to find myself plenty to do with it Doubt it will be within gaming, but probably something creative.

Music is one of my, and my wife's, main passions, and we are both Linux professionals. She is a PhD particle physicist in the computing division of Fermi National Laboratory. I am a senior engineer at Nokia Mobile Phones (soon to be Microsoft). I play bluegrass mandolin, and my wife is a serious semi-pro old-time guitar picker and barn dance caller. We both use Linux for audio/video production stuff (she also uses her Apple MacBook Pro for that). There are a tonne of tools available in this environment, and the good thing is that they are FOSS - Free and Open Source. Welcome, enjoy, and don't hesitate to ask questions in the Forums. As a family, we are rare in that we have our own complete band sound system, 16 track mixer, and lots of other cruft. My computer speakers are Bose...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Chup View Post

Music and computers go hand in hand.

I spend the much of my life as musician, recording engineer, live audio mixer , and recently do post production audio editing.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    There are a tonne of tools available in this environment, and the good thing is that they are FOSS - Free and Open Source. Welcome, enjoy, and don't hesitate to ask questions in the Forums.
    cheers Rubberman - good to hear! Do you mean you're a professional who uses Linux, or a professional in Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Music and computers go hand in hand.

I spend the much of my life as musician, recording engineer, live audio mixer , and recently do post production audio editing.
    Indeed, mine was all electronic. Unfortunately mine led to depression and ear damage. It's only recently that I've been able to listen to something other than minimalist classical actually. I think that I'd re approach the subject in future, though probably from a different angle. There's loads of stuff that can be done within the industry, unfortunately I'm currently at the A minor stage of Programming though

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    cheers Rubberman - good to hear! Do you mean you're a professional who uses Linux, or a professional in Linux?
    Both, actually. I use Linux exclusively at home, and I am a professional Linux performance and software engineer developing many tools and applications for the Linux environment.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!