Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've been hanging out on EvilBay over the last couple days looking to score an older Core Duo or Core 2 Duo HP/Compaq(or even a Dell at this point in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Used laptop prices are getting crazy.

I've been hanging out on EvilBay over the last couple days looking to score an older Core Duo or Core 2 Duo HP/Compaq(or even a Dell at this point in time) to play around with and there's just no deals to be had anymore. A few months ago you could get a decent Business class HP like the NC6400's I picked up for $50-$60 bucks but now even junk is going for $80 or more. It's just crazy, there's just no real deals to be had and no "meat" left on the bone for those of us who like to buy older laptops and install Linux on em' for resale.
    Most are missing their hard drives and all need batteries and many come without an A/C adapter, all of which adds to the cost of getting them fixed up and ready for sale.
    Has the used laptop market really gone crazy or what? Why are these older laptops selling for so much now when they could be had for around half of what they're selling for now back 6 months ago?

Probably getting like the used guitar prices, they can sell the parts for more than the whole laptop together.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Probably getting like the used guitar prices, they can sell the parts for more than the whole laptop together.
    Having recently bought some parts for a couple laptops I have I totally agree. Same deal with a car or truck. You can part one out and get more for it then the complete vehicle sometimes. It's crazy seeing older IBM X61's going for over $80 bucks. Guess I'll just have to try and luck out and snipe something to play with.

Just Joined!
    Well, I see that it is still possible claz.org/classifieds/for-sale/electronics?q=compaq&l=80&p=2

Just Joined!
    I recently got an Asus netbook with 2 GB of RAM and a 240 GB hard drive for $80 in a pawn shop. It was fully functional and in great shape. All their other laptops were much higher priced -- right around $180 or more. The only thing physically wrong with this netbook was the charger. They had some jury-rigged universal charger with exposed prongs. I did have to order a charger. The other thing "wrong" with it was it had Ubuntu installed on it instead of Windows. It had a Windows license sticker on the bottom of it, but the boneheads at the shop didn't know how to use it to put Windows back on it. If they had, they could have sold it for more. I bought that laptop and set up a dual boot with Kubuntu and Windows 7 Starter. There are a few Windows programs that I need on occasion, but most of the time I run it with just Kubuntu.

I hadn't noticed anything odd...deals come and go on eBay.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Just Joined!
    I'll bet some magazine somewhere has recommended people buy a used laptop and put Linux on it, rather than a new Windows machine. I've seen the same effect in woodworking hand tools, a recommendation sends prices way high for a few months, then it settles down again. Be patient.

When I see older Pentium III machines with 512MB of RAM and a 40GB HDD sell for $100 bucks then trust me, prices are way higher then they should be. Maybe after all the XP hype settles down prices will get back to more normal. I'd love to pick up a 15.4" HP/Compaq NC of somekind with 2.0GHz or better processor and 2GB of RAM but I"m not going to pay over $60 for one since it'll probably need a battery and maybe a new A/C Adapter.
    Until then I'll play with my two NC6400's and my NC4400.
    "Now, what y'all wanna do?
    Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
    Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
    9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?"

Just Joined!
    Yeah. I run an old Dell D630 with WinXP and three different Linux partitions on it. I need the Windows OS only for some legacy hardware I own:- e.g. Windows 95 Epson Scanner that's still better at scanning than any I can find today, and cheapo film scanners that are Windows only.
    The D630 also has a serial port - very rarely found on any machine these days and I used to need that for my work, using the laptop as a handset for traffic signal controllers. The battery lasts about 3 hours, and many replacements are available.

In fact, it has all I would ever want on a laptop. Last year it died when the video device cooked itself, so I had to source a used motherboard for it. Last week the hard drive started growing bad sectors rapidly, so today I cloned the drive to an eBay one I've just received and it's back to normal again. Next week I'm going to disable networking from the XP installation, so it remains just for the hardware functions and can't catch a cold.

The hype over XP will die down in a month or two, and prices come back to normal I'm sure.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Pentium III machines with 512MB of RAM and a 40GB HDD sell for $100
    pff that's way too much! I'm hoping to get a couple of systems soon from a school clear out...

As much as the XP might be driving the prices up in places it'll also be freeing some systems up that are deemed 'dead' because XP isn't getting automatic updates any more (though I think you can manually update until 2015!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast