Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello folks, I'm fairly new with this whole Linux thing, I've played with a few distros mostly in the last month trying to figure things out before the end of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hello, fairly new linux user, trying to convert and combine from WinXP

Hello folks, I'm fairly new with this whole Linux thing, I've played with a few distros mostly in the last month trying to figure things out before the end of security support for Win XP.

I've so far tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Linux Mint. I might have messed up with Mint. I did like the KDE Desktop though. Although I've had some issues with the hardware that I'm using, maybe too old, maybe has something broke in it, dunno. This PC is something ancient in terms of most; an '04 with an amd athlon 64 x2, an AGP Radeon 2400, and about 2 gigs ram. I've used and abused it and she's heading the way of the dodo.

I'll probably be building a new machine here in the next month. But I also have one other machine I'm working on too.

I have an LE1700 Tablet PC that I've maxed out the RAM on, This beauty has been my drawing machine for the greater part of the last 2 years. I'm very happy with my experience on it... except the battery life but I don't care about that XD

I've got things set up so far to install a new hard drive in her to give her a play of Linux while I keep the original safe after backing it up. If I play with that drive again I'll disable wifi to preserve the system.

I'm wondering what special things I'll have to have when I develop this new system. I'm gonna document EVERY-a-THANG that I do with it.

I'm also wanting to build a new PC this April-May to be the foundation of a great machine that will last for a good while and still be great for gaming and upgrading.

Honestly there is a lot to absorb with switching teams on the fly but I'm gonna have me some fun. I needed something to keep me on my toes. But if anyone has any good advise, especially anything involving my Motion tablet. I'd be happy to recieve it.

Thank you for reading this wall of text.

-SRD

Linux Guru
    I've so far tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Linux Mint. I might have messed up with Mint. I did like the KDE Desktop though. Although I've had some issues with the hardware that I'm using, maybe too old, maybe has something broke in it, dunno. This PC is something ancient in terms of most; an '04 with an amd athlon 64 x2, an AGP Radeon 2400, and about 2 gigs ram. I've used and abused it and she's heading the way of the dodo.
    Howdy and Welcome. I think you can pretty much run any distro you want.
    Now if me.

I know one member here just loves Point and SolydXK linux and will probably in so I'll leave them be.
    I'd give MX-14 a spin on those hardware specs.
    The forum is full of friendly folks and are highly knowledgeable.
    It is a easy distro to run like Mint or Ubuntu and based on Debian Stable.
    You can add another browser after install and I use Chromium with Pepper Flash non free on my install
    which is a later version than Linux flash 11.2.
    (my install of MX-14 is on a Acer Aspire One ZG5 Atom Netbook, 1gig of ram)

It's pretty easy to run, connect wireless. If problems. The Mepis forum is top notch in supporting new users.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

Happy Trails, Rok

Welcome. Linux is going to work on most hardware its requirements are much lower than other OSes. Sometime you might run into an issue, but IMO better to work thru it, than go distro hopping till you find one that works. By working through issue you learn more about your computer and Linux.

Enjoy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Welcome. Linux is going to work on most hardware its requirements are much lower than other OSes. Sometime you might run into an issue, but IMO better to work thru it, than go distro hopping till you find one that works. By working through issue you learn more about your computer and Linux.

Enjoy
    Yeah. Only distro-hop for fun and entertainment, Or if you have a similar attention span to me, when you get bored.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    You might find Zorin a good Linux replacement for Win XP, I did. It even gives you a desktop similar to Windows.
    At least give it a try!!

I tend to Distro Hop a bit depending on my needs. Ran Point Linux 2.2 for quite a while then upgraded to Kali Linux 1.0.6 to get SDR(Software Defined Radio) support since Kali has it pre-installed, no fuss, no muss. Then moved from Kali to SolydX for a couple weeks to try it out. Decent enough and since they're a Debian Testing Distro they'll get getting Gqrx in their Package Manager on April 15. Now I've just moved to Point Linux 3.x which is a lot like PL 2.2 except that it's Debian Testing instead of Debian Stable and it looks like I'll be back on Point(pun intended) for a while since the MATE Desktop is something I like.
    Just remember, Linux IS NOT Windows, you can tweak and configure Linux to make it Your Own and 99% of the stuff you'll run on your Linux Box will be Free and Open Source so you'll not have to break the bank to do stuff like you do in the Windows World.
    Give Point Linux 2.3 and 3.x a look, check out SolydX and even give Ubuntu 14.04 LTS a look if you don't mind the Unity Desktop.
    Also check out Distro Watch, tons of great Op Systems there for the downloading, install UNetbootin and make up Live USB's and give em' a Test Drive before you install. That way you can weed out the ones that you don't like from ones that look interesting.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Rok
    Thanks for the suggestion on MX-14, that distro looks kinda like Unity, if Unity had menus , might have to give it a whirl.

Docbop
    Yeah I noticed already improvements in this machine's handling of things... aside from Minecraft giving me issues with high-res textures but that's probably something on my part. I know I shouldn't distro hop yet and sit down and figure one out; mainly because a lot of the updating and installation of stuff is *kinda* universal...? I'm mostly trying things out to see how it all will work.

Elija, ty, I tend to have a very limited attention span but I do like to customize things, if Linux can be totally customized (ie, I could draw up my own icon sets, GUI setup and install them into my machine) I might be keeping on one until I make it completely my own XD

Ropa, I'll definitely check Zorin out.

TN
    I'll keep the whole Windows =/= Linux in mind, I'm just glad that through Linux I can still use Windows based programs (to a degree) I'll most definitely give PointLinux, SolydX a look and I always like a LTS although unity is a bit funky for me, but I think Kubuntu usually runs about the same timeframe as it's big cousin. So I shouldn't have to wait for the KDE Desktop to be implimented for 14.04.

But yeah so far I got fairly used to the environment and the dealings in Linux, as soon as I get my HDD for this laptop, I'll most definitely let you all know how things turned out!

Again, thank you all for the warm welcome and I hope to be a decent part of this community.

Just Joined!
    Linux should work on most things and is especially good at getting a bit of extra mileage out of older hardware. I am using Opensuse 13.1 and it's working brilliantly on a Dell laptop, its well worth trying. Regarding distros you're doing the right thing and checking out the different distros, and pretty well all of them are completely customizable, icons etc are no problem, the only limit is you're knowledge and willingness to learn.

I run MS office on my Linux machine using Crossover office which costs about $30 although for some things I prefer Libreoffice and I also have Windows XP on a virtual machine (Vmware) in case there's something windows specific I want to use.

I always have a check on google or the forums before I buy hardware or peripherals but don't usually find too many issues.

good luck and have fun.

Just Joined!
    For your referred PC ,it might be best to use a linux distro with a light desktop ,for example Lubuntu . I assume your PC is 32 bit

Linux Newbie
    Hello and welcome.
    I'll probably be building a new machine here in the next month.
    Just a thought... might wanna look for mobos, CPUs and graphic cards that are several months past cutting-edge. Linux is good with hardware drivers but they're not available as quickly as they are for Windows.

I've searched Newegg's reader comments and places like Linux Hardware Compatibility List before buying. A number distros put together compatibility lists from members, as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast