Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've been a member of this site for over a year, mostly hanging out in the Programming/Scripting forum, posting a couple of questions, and answering others. I'm not super active ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question "Just Joined!"??

I've been a member of this site for over a year, mostly hanging out in the Programming/Scripting forum, posting a couple of questions, and answering others. I'm not super active here but not exactly a "newb" either.

So why the site still use the phrase Just Joined! next to my posts, in my profile, etc. Exactly what do I have to do or how long do I have to belong before that changes? What's next, anyway? Casual Troll? Occasional Curmudgeon?

Seriously, it's not a big deal... just curious!

Linux Engineer
    The forum software is set to change titles at certain numbers of posts.

So the threshold is greater than 46? That seems kind of high to still qualify for a status of Just Joined!, IMHO.
    Last edited by mrbruno; 04-09-2014 at 01:31 PM. Reason: doh

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I'm not sure what the thresholds are but it would seem the date should enter in to it! I have worked with vBulletin though and know that it's just a numbers thing. I think it's meant to encourage folks to post. Beer would probably work better.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbruno View Post
    I've been a member of this site for over a year, mostly hanging out in the Programming/Scripting forum, posting a couple of questions, and answering others. I'm not super active here but not exactly a "newb" either.

So why the site still use the phrase Just Joined! next to my posts, in my profile, etc. Exactly what do I have to do or how long do I have to belong before that changes? What's next, anyway? Casual Troll? Occasional Curmudgeon?

Seriously, it's not a big deal... just curious!
    We have had the occasional discussion about this in the admin team, and never really decided on what we should change these to, or what levels seem 'best'. Then we left the labels. But now, of course, you've made some useful suggestions. They may have merit...
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    I'm not sure what the thresholds are but it would seem the date should enter in to it! I have worked with vBulletin though and know that it's just a numbers thing. I think it's meant to encourage folks to post. Beer would probably work better.
    The 'Beer Reward' system for posting... I love this idea. Every time I want another beer, I only need post some help on here. I'm not sure how much sense I'd make after a couple of hours of that - but my post count would be in the tens of thousands (and that's just this week).
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

When I first joined, I was connected via a modem, being charged by the minute, so I only visited the site when I had something to post. As a result, I stayed "Just joined" for years. Then I became a "Newbie". I thought then that the system was pretty daft.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

This is the list I was given sometime ago by another member.
    Just Joined! : 0
    Linux Newbie : 100
    Linux User : 250
    Linux Enthusiast : 500
    Linux Engineer : 750
    Linux Guru : 1500
    Registered Linux user #526930

Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    My join date is back in 2009, but I didn't post much until recently. One of the LUGs I used to belong to the big kahuna of the group a Linux zealot was so upset because he saw my Linux Counter number and how low it was like in the 30,000's I think. His counter number was like twice as high. Only number I was ever proud of was when I worked at Borland C/C++ support, I wrote hundreds of FAQ's for their website.

I like your beer idea. I still remember the days of Friday Beer Busts when I worked in Silicon Valley, they were fun, until the corporate lawyers stopped them worried about liability.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast