Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Kali is a Debian based OS so weather it's Stable or Testing they still work ok. Not like I'm trying to add Fedora or OpenSUSE Repos to Kali, LOL...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Kali is a Debian based OS so weather it's Stable or Testing they still work ok. Not like I'm trying to add Fedora or OpenSUSE Repos to Kali, LOL
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

The statement still stands.
    Yes, kali is based on debian, but that does not mean all packages are interchangeable.
    If they were, then debian would be the same as kali and vice versa.
    http://docs.kali.org/kali-policy/kal...ip-with-debian

By mixing packages you create a system that no-one designed, no-one developed for, no-one tested and therefore no-one can give support.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    The statement still stands.
    Yes, kali is based on debian, but that does not mean all packages are interchangeable.
    If they were, then debian would be the same as kali and vice versa.
    http://docs.kali.org/kali-policy/kal...ip-with-debian

By mixing packages you create a system that no-one designed, no-one developed for, no-one tested and therefore no-one can give support.
    I'm with you place I was at about a year ago the Director was Debian fanatic and we were use Testing on all the servers. We ran into all sorts of issues with the services we were running and when trying to get help ran into lots of "we don't support testing". After that director was gone we started rebuilding servers with Stable and things got more solid. With Testing the too much is in flux especially with other things other than the core packages. My background is admin'ing enterprise systems and stablity and uptime is most important factor.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Looking at the version of OpenSSL that's on Kali things should be fine. it's openssl_1.0.1e-2+deb7u6_i386.deb so there should be zero issues on my end with the Heartbleed Bug.

I fully understand what you're saying about mixing Repos and I do agree. I've borked a system or three by adding too many Repos but if you're careful and only pick ones with stuff that'll work with the Distro you have you should be ok most of the time.
    I just wish Debian installs would give you the option of running Wheezy, Jessie or Sid on install instead of picking it automatically for you. That was one thing I liked about SolydX, it was Debian Testing. Also, Point Linux is working on a Testing version that's in Beta right now. It's 3.0b1. Soon as they get main stream I may give it a look and if it has Gqrx in the Repos I'll switch to it from Kali. That'll free up a lot of SSD space.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Okay got you your conspiracy, blame the NSA.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...ampaign=buffer
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2