Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just had to tell everyone that I'm really lovin' my Manjaro/Xfce install. Way easier then I thought it be to run something "Arch" and the AUR has just about anything ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Really lovin' Manjaro/Xfce.

Just had to tell everyone that I'm really lovin' my Manjaro/Xfce install. Way easier then I thought it be to run something "Arch" and the AUR has just about anything and everything you'd ever want to run on your computer. I'm finding all the software that was wanted and it doesn't matter that I'm running an Arch Stable platform, it's still all there for the taking. With Debian to get what I needed I had to run Testing and then things like Gdebi wouldn't work, oh well, you've seen my threads but with Manjaro it's just working.
    Also, I've got Xfce set up and tweaked to look and work for all the world like MATE, which is what I was use to using. I think until I get to the point of actually doing a full blown Arch install from scratch I've found "THE" Distro that I'm going to run from here on out. All that Arch goodness, easy to install, Xfce is easy to configure. Can't think of anything more I'd want in a Distro.
    If anyone is on the fence about moving to something Arch based then make the move to Manjaro and just enjoy the experience. In just a couple days I've become totally impressed with it, even more then I was with Debian/Ubuntu over the last year.
    IMHO Manjaro is one of the best Linux Distros you can run.
    "Now, what y'all wanna do?
    Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
    Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
    9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?"

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Moved to the lounge as this is really a chat topic.

When I tried Manjaro I didn't really get on with it, it wasn't awful but it wasn't anywhere near good enough to make it beyond the playputer and it didn't stay on there for more than a couple of days. That was getting on for a year ago so given the pace of change in the FOSS world, it's probably come on quite a bit!

By contrast, the latest Ubuntu (14.04) has already been on here for several days and in most ways it is a vast improvement over every release since 11.10. On the down side, Canonical have made it impossible to completely remove the on-line search spy-ware by combining on-line and off-line image search in to one lens. At least all the on-line cruft can be disabled using one command.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

I watched the LInux Action Show review of 14.04 and while they liked some things they said the Software Center was really bad. Manjaro 0.8.9 is the version I'm running and it's been awesome. So far it's worked great, easy to find stuff with Octopi, AUR is awesome. It's on all 3 of my laptops and runs great on all of em'. I think you need to give it another try.

Yeah the software centre is awful. I use it only to install muon and then I use that or apt-get for package management. It needs very few KDE dependencies.

It seems that I'm getting twice the battery life of any other distro which is fairly spectacular. Sadly, the more I use it the more I like it. I might have to stop In the latest LUD magazine, the beta got a 5/5
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

I actually understand that they've made Unity a bit lighter weight in 14.04 as well so it's not such a RAM hog. I just really love my Xfce Desktop, got it set up really nice, just the way I want it. Lower panel is Auto Hide so you can't see it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    I actually understand that they've made Unity a bit lighter weight in 14.04 as well so it's not such a RAM hog. I just really love my Xfce Desktop, got it set up really nice, just the way I want it. Lower panel is Auto Hide so you can't see it.
    This is the playputer.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

Just Joined!
    Does anybody have some tips/tricks for the XFCE desktop. I'm very new to it.

If you're running Arch or an off shoot like Manjaro you can go into Pamac or Octopi and look at "xfce goodies" and get some cool stuff. I got the date/time clock that lets me see both date and time instead of just the time like the standard clock. Also you can add launchers to your panel then add the app you want to the launcher you've created. You an add a second panel and use it as a dock or as a second panel like in MATE where you'll have your open apps and desktop switcher. Lots of cool stuff that you can do with Xfce, just need to look around and check things out.