Find the answer to your Linux question:
I don't like Oracle the company, had friends that worked there they didn't like it. Know others who ended up there via acquision and not pleased. Many stories of Ellison ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Bad news for software with open source

I don't like Oracle the company, had friends that worked there they didn't like it. Know others who ended up there via acquision and not pleased. Many stories of Ellison screwing employees in assorted ways. Well now a judge really made a huge blunder that can hose everyone.

Oracle's victory over Google Android could kill the software industry- The Inquirer
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Linux Guru
    Well "Could" was said instead of "is" so no need to hoist the skull and crossbones on your computer yet.

Lawyers and Judges. Sheesh.

Linux Engineer
    I won't be surprised if Google wins the next appeal.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I hope your right, but the there has been little inteligence or consistancy in how courts have ruled on computer industry issues.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Linux Engineer
    Here's a bit better report: Google: Oracle Lawsuit Is Damaging - Business Insider

Note that the ruling is only partial with regards to the lawsuit.

Linux Engineer
    This fellow actually thinks it's a good thing: FOSS Patents: Oracle wins Android-Java copyright appeal: API code copyrightable, new trial on fair use

It's interesting to think of an API being copyrightable not because of the content but because of the interface. I wonder what that means for REST and such? I guess it still rests on prior works.

Just Joined!
    Ugh oracles corrupt and needs to die, just as bad as microsoft them if not worse.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    I don't like Oracle the company, had friends that worked there they didn't like it. Know others who ended up there via acquision and not pleased. Many stories of Ellison screwing employees in assorted ways. Well now a judge really made a huge blunder that can hose everyone.

Oracle's victory over Google Android could kill the software industry- The Inquirer
    This is kind of oldish news.

Anyway, I believe the case has been remanded to the lower court. Google still has plenty of defenses. Also, this is just one appeal's court ruling, which isn't necessarily binding on other trials and certainly not on other jurisdictions.

Of course, everyone knows Oracle sucks. I'm sure it was a great company at one time, but now it's the big evil corporation of IT.

I don't know, i think Apple and Microsoft still have a pretty big lead over Oracle. Oracle is just your small time wannbe player while Apple and Microsoft are a your big bosses, that will screw you over if you think you can mess with them.

Though for all Oracle's efforts to try and close its existing open-source applications originally owned by SUN. Some of those have back-fired pretty badly. From what i understand the Illmos project is thriving compared to Oracle Solaris. The other one is ZFS, with majority of the existing open-source maintained branches (i.e. Illumos, BSD, Linux, etc) are thinking (already are) of collaborating together for a more unified source base. Which from what i understand is labelled ZFS v5000 and has significant advancements and features over the Oracle ZFS branch.