Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Hello Is English your native language? If so, continue reading please. I'd like to ask sth that concerns English. To be precise that concerns II conditional. Look at this sentence ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to say it in English - for advanced/native English speakers

Hello

Is English your native language? If so, continue reading please. I'd like to ask sth that concerns English. To be precise that concerns II conditional.

Look at this sentence please:
    1. If I were you, I would go to Monica and tell her what the weather was /is like. It is 10 am and she is still sleeping. The weather is sunny. Go and tell her.

I think that was is only correct in spite of talking about presence. Am I correct?

2. Background: I am at an interview and I am saying:
    If you gave me a chance Mr, I would show you how good I was/am at dealing with difficult customers on the phone. (the meaning is that I am good now)

And again which is correct, was or am? I would use was, am I correct?

Thanks

Linux Engineer
    If you gave me a chance Mr, I would show you how good I am at dealing with difficult customers on the phone.

You would use "was" if you were talking about a past effort. You use "am" because you are - it is the present tense of "to be".

Linux Newbie
    Current tense in the above is "is/am" respectively. Using "was" indicates past tense which is wrong in the context...

I can tell you are foreign because you say "If I were you". That is correct, of course, but most native speakers are more slovenly and say "If I was you".

Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady was taken for a foreign princess because "'Her English is too good,' he said, 'which clearly proves that she is foreign. For while foreigners are instructed in their native language, English people aren''".
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

You would either tell Monica what the weather was yesterday, or what it is now. In the second case, it would be more correct to say "If you give me a chance", because gave is past tense, and the interviewer has not yet given you a chance, but might give you one in the future.

Just Joined!
    I think all of you, except hazel, underestimate the OP's skills. I am sure he knows that "was" is the past tense and "is" is the present.
    What he is asking is whether this verb is affected by the condition (subjunctive mood) in the first part of the sentence. The conditional mood "would go" is used because this act depends on the condition "if I were you". The weather, however, is independent of this hypothetical situation, so the indicative mood is used in this case.
    I don't understand why the OP wants to use the form "was" though, because that's not a conditional form.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for all your answers. To sum up we use present cont. in such situations.
    I have another toughie...

Could anybody please tell me which verb is correct:
    I am talking about my favourite place:

My favourite place would be located on the outskirts of the city. I'd like there would be pleasant atmosphere so that everybody will/would feel comfortable.

thank you

PS
    How about them both? Maybe both are correct?

The last sentence is rather awkwardly constructed. "I'd like there would be" isn't something an English speaker would say. I do understand the intent, though, and the proper word you're asking about is 'would'. You start with "I'd", which is a contraction of "I would", so it would be required in the second instance also.

Linux Newbie
    My favourite place would be located on the outskirts of the city. I like a pleasant atmosphere so that everybody feels comfortable.

I spent a great deal of time in Finland in the early 2000s as I worked for a Finnish owned company. I used to "clean up" a lot of the memos written by the Finnish managers that were going to the US locations. Correct use of present/past tense was where 99% of the problems were...

Just Joined!
    Thank you, but if I wanted to keep it my way I could just cross out the beginning right?:

My favourite place would be located on the outskirts of the city. There would be a pleasant atmosphere so that everybody would feel comfortable.

now OK?

thanks
    gregm likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast