Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Just registered and the welcome message suggested I introduce myself here. I've been using Linux for a long time now. A long time ago I used to dual boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool Greetings

Hi,

Just registered and the welcome message suggested I introduce myself here.

I've been using Linux for a long time now. A long time ago I used to dual boot win98 and Mandrake then SuSe. Then I did similar with XP and Debian. Then I just had Debian with no windows (because I'd stopped using it). I tried some distro based on Debian for a while. Forgot its name. Then I switched to Ubuntu which I used for a few years. Its what I still use at work. Then I tried Xubuntu and finally Linux Mint XFCE.

Right now I have a project to set up a machine with Slackware, but appear to be struggling for various reasons. Still I tend to persevere...

Agent M of the M.'.I.'.B.'.
    "Strange shapes light up the night
    I've never seen 'em though I hope I might
    Don't ask if they are real
    The men in black, their lips are sealed" ~ Blue Öyster Cult.

'I hear the music, daylight disc
    Three men in black said, "Don't report this"' ~ Blue Öyster Cult.

Linux Guru
    Howdy and Welcome

Howdy and welcome. I started using Linux about 15 months ago with Ubuntu 12.04 the moved to Mint 15 MATE when I got tired of the Unity DE. I'm currently using Manjaro Xfce and really love it. Pacman seems to have a lot more "power" then the apt-get I was using in the Debian based OS's that I was using and I really love all the packages in the AUR that I have access to. If you get a chance download the .iso of Manjaro Xfce, burn it to a DVD and give it a look, I think you might really like it. Anyway, see ya' on the forums.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    These days it's less about the distribution and more about the environment for me...

Xfce? Check
    Binary rather than source? Check
    Compiz (gotta have wobbly windows)? Check
    Emerald decorator? Check

I'm pretty much going to be happy. That said, I do like Debian derived or Fedora the most. I'm waiting for the Mint 17 Xfce release candidate with more anticipation than I have felt for a release in a long time as it looks like they are doing some interesting things at the moment.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    I know what you mean about environment. Xfce is pretty much a must. Although even with my work laptop, that runs Ubuntu with Unity for my main work login (by company mandate), I still have a personal login for my time off that defaults to Xfce, so I'm not really sure if there is a distro for which Xfce is unavailable?

Salutations.

Been using Linux off and on since 1994 both personally and professionally. Was a RedHat and similar versions early, but have moved over to the Debian camp and use Xbuntu because I like XFCE. I don't change distros much has other things to do, but Mint XFCE looks interesting maybe next time I need to rebuild.

Loch Ness, M.I.B. and BOC... okay I foresee some interesting posts in the future.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

I have played with the RC for a couple of hours and while there's no compelling reason to replace Xubuntu with it on my main machines, it is what I will recommend to any winfugees I meet. Compared to Xubuntu (and to my taste) it:

• Looks much slicker out of the box.
    • Has better software installed out of the box.
    • Has the panel and menu at the bottom.

To set it up to fully suit me however, would take nearly as much work as Xubuntu and I am neither angry nor bored enough to go through that again. For the moment anyway.

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

AgentM: I missed your Slackware comment in your first post. It's been a long time since I used Slackware, I'm too lazy these days Have you seen Slackbook and Slackbuilds for easy installation of software from source?

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Greetings AgentM! Welcome aboard