Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
If this is in the wrong place, sorry, I figured it wasn't really a true tech question more of a general knowledge one. I've been reading around trying to find ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Live media with Broadcom wireless support?

If this is in the wrong place, sorry, I figured it wasn't really a true tech question more of a general knowledge one.

I've been reading around trying to find a distro that includes Broadcom drivers during the live session. I don't have access to a broadcom wireless device anymore (my laptop had that but the wireless died), or unlimited Internet to just download distros to check, and I don't have time to do a lot of research.

Basically, trying to assist someone with an HP Mini 210-1000, Intel Atom N450, and he says Broadcom BCM 4310. Trying to get something lighter but full featured, like say Lubuntu, Mint, etc. He does not have an ethernet cable and apparently doesn't want to get one (I just now thought about he might have one before the wireless router, so I'll see...). And he has found guides to install it manually, but says it's too difficult. I didn't try to talk him through it because I figured "automatic" would be better since I'm not there, and he's not the least familiar with Linux, he wants to try it out before he installs it.

Does Puppy include them? A bit lighter than I'd like to suggest. I'm quite familiar with running Linux and could get him running with what he has, but again I'd like to just find one ready to go to try out.

Thanks.

Linux Guru
    Try Crunchbang (based on Debian). It may work OOTB for Broadcom. Puppy can be hit or miss depending on what the Puplet developer did with Kernel config.

I just saw Vector Linux XFCE (based on Slackware) should support Broadcom in a live session also.

Linux Newbie
    My oldish Lenovo laptop has Broadcomm and very few distros worked with it OOTB - 2 that did were Manjaro and MX-14...
    rokytnji likes this.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Maybe Bodhi which is based on Ubuntu?
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
    My oldish Lenovo laptop has Broadcomm and very few distros worked with it OOTB - 2 that did were Manjaro and MX-14...
    I agree on the MX-14 recommendation. I run it also on a Acer Aspire One ZG5 and it runs well and lots of choices for different browsers in the Meta Package installer included with MX-14.

Linux Newbie
    Hopefully, the DL links to the just released MX-14.1 will be back up soon...

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
    Hopefully, the DL links to the just released MX-14.1 will be back up soon...
    I don't think 14.1 is at release candidate status anyways. It is a testing release to find bugs on. I could be wrong though.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    I don't think 14.1 is at release candidate status anyways. It is a testing release to find bugs on. I could be wrong though.
    It looked like an official release that got quickly removed...

Just Joined!
    Thanks everyone. Hopefully he hasn't given up on the project yet. He's been using Windows 7 starter.... I haven't looked at antiX for a while (same with #!) but the lightness may be well suited for the netbook. I've had an eye on Manjaro for a while, I did run Arch for some time. Probably start with those two for now to be different than the 'buntu stuff he's tried to far (Mint/Lubuntu). I'll also find out if he has a network cable connecting a wireless router, he may not have thought of that, because I didn't right away (duh).

Forgot to say, if he lets me know what he does and anything works, I'll update.
    Last edited by a1b1; 06-16-2014 at 11:42 PM.

Just Joined!
    I haven't heard anything back, guess he might be done.

On a side note I decided to look at Manjaro, and it looks like I'll leave it installed for a while. I was always fond of Arch. I don't see any broadcom packages preinstalled though (just did a quick look). Only issue I have is Chrome, Chrome beta, and Chromium are pretty laggy/jerky. Scrolling up and down on even simple pages and it jumps a bit, cpu usage goes up noticeably (not anything to tax an i3, say 30%). Switching tabs, etc. too. In their settings I've tried enabling hardware acceleration and playing with those settings, no difference. Also disabled Flash, and KDE desktop effects. No other program I've tried has the issue (Firefox included). It never lagged with any other distro, and I've not had an issue with Intel graphics before. Not asking for help, just an observation, I've done no research on the issue besides what I stated, and only tried it with KDE.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast