Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everybody, Still real sick, but having my first OK day in a while and want to pick up a project I dropped a few months back and I'm stuck. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Google is not my friend, little help please?

Hey everybody,

Still real sick, but having my first OK day in a while and want to pick up a project I dropped a few months back and I'm stuck.

I took apart an Inspiron 1501 to clean it and repaste the CPU b/c it was over heating. It's been sitting in pieces for months.

I'm trying to put it back together. It's been so long I forgot how I took it apart (followed a video).

Now all the videos and service manuals I'm finding only show tearing it apart and not how to put it back together.

I'm not up for the mental leaps of trying to work backwards.

I'm still looking but any help finding a video with someone actually putting the stupid thing back together would be greatly appreciated.

NM, found it buried in a 3 parter on a similiar model over at youtube; got me close enough. Now to see if it will boot.

And the answer is a resounding no, it will not boot to BIOS or put out any video signal. Other than the obvious (I fried it) any ideas on where to start looking for assembly foul ups that would stop BIOS or video? I've checked everything over and don't see anything obvious.

When I power it up I get all the power on lights come on and a quick burst of the CPU fan, then it sits there thinking it's "running" and does nothing, then I can power it off and that's all it will do.

I plugged it in to an external monitor: No video.

I pulled the harddrive and get the exact same boot sequence. But even without the HD it should still boot to BIOS and then say no HD / OS.

If it was a desktop I'd stick a post card in it and run a diag. But I'm not all that familiar with pulling laptops apart (1st one).

If the PSU and the fan will power on and won't come to BIOS is that a fried MoBo or CPU? (Same thing in this POS.)

It was an over heating piece of junk any way. I was just trying to salvage it. But I'd like some idea of what I did wrong (and even fix it) b/c the next laptop project is for real and I can't afford to blow that one up.

-------------------

Edit:

I got something a little different this time. The DVD drive "gurguled" for a sec and now the light that looks like an A inside a pad lock is flashing and the fan naver came on. It's also get warm all over the bottom. It's using the power for something. It's not complete bricked yet.

-------------
    Maybe on the bricking: I've pulled the RAM, HD, DVD and all I get is power on and the CPU fan for a quick burst.

Any ideas?

-------------

Found part of it: The RAM was not seated properly. Fully assembled again. still won't boot to BIOS, but now the fan keep running and that stupid A in a padlock light at the top center is flashing. Any one know what that means?
    Last edited by Steven_G; 06-27-2014 at 02:27 AM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Got, I fried one of the RAM modules. Oh well.

-----------------
    Edit: scratch that. Both modules work fine so long as they are in the A slot. If I put either one in the B slot it just boots to the fan and the flashing A light.

What the heck would cause that without frying the whole MoBo?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Was it the module that wasn't seated properly?

Welcome back btw, hope you continue to feel better.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_G View Post
    Got, I fried one of the RAM modules. Oh well.

-----------------
    Edit: scratch that. Both modules work fine so long as they are in the A slot. If I put either one in the B slot it just boots to the fan and the flashing A light.

RAM slots die all the time. On older motherboards, there is a memory controller; on newer chips, the memory controller might be on the CPU itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_G View Post
    Both modules work fine so long as they are in the A slot. If I put either one in the B slot it just boots to the fan and the flashing A light.

The same happened to me once too with a Dell Insipiron 700m. It had only a 256mb stick on the A slot and was adding a 1gb on the B one. Didn't work, just to check I swapped them and then it saw only the 1gb. The owner was happy with that and didnt mind not having those mising 256mb

Glad to know it's a common problem and not something I did or didn't do. I was going to do a little maint on it, throw UB on it and sell it cheap. But it turned out to be too fried. Not only did a RAM slot die, but so did the battery. To make it sellable I'd need to drop a 2GB stick in the one good slot and get a battery. And it's not worth it, I wouldn't get enough back out of it. So I put in file 13. Oh well I have several more to fix up and try to sell. I was going to build a cluster to set up a virtual lab, but money is tight. So I have about 1/2 a dozen old SMB servers that just need a litle TLC (and I bought the parts months ago).

I'm hoping to pick up a quick 2-3k on them.