Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Got involved in a thread on another Linux forum where the OP was trying to get WiFi working on a netbook. Many folks jumped in to try to help but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Sometimes you can't help

Got involved in a thread on another Linux forum where the OP was trying to get WiFi working on a netbook. Many folks jumped in to try to help but the OP had zero computer skills and couldn't even open a text file. Had no idea how to copy & paste text or do even the most simple task. I finally asked politely if there was anybody local to him he could ask for help and I obviously offended him and he said he would never post again.

Reminds me of an saying my Dad used to hit me with from time to time: Son, you can't pour the ocean into a teacup...

Linux Guru
    As they say NGIB. __it Happens.

Linux Newbie
    You tried as well but sometimes there just ain't no path forward...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I used to do programmer support and get the same thing, you give them help or even the answer, but it wasn't the answer they wanted. My favorite was this one support engineer we had who was real sharp, but every now and then get someone like your talking about on the phone. You'd hear his classic line "one day when you grow up and learn to code you will understand what I've been telling you". We'd all laugh and wait because we knew in about ten minutes our manager would be calling the engineer in his office for the official spanking. So don't sweat it you're guy will probably go back to using a Mac and wiggling his finger all day.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Linux Newbie
    I'm far from an expert on anything but what I've learned I learned through experience. Like the post today where the guy deleted his linux partition from inside Windows and then found out he couldn't boot into Windows - yup, I did that myself. Only once though...

I think in the same way you have to take a Driving Test before you can drive and a shooting test before you get your CCW permit they need to have a Computer Test that you have to pass before you can buy a computer. That way people would have to get at least a little bit of training and have some basic knowlege of computers before they go onto forums asking for help with some of the most simple and basic things that everyone should know how to do. As always, JMHO, YMMV.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    I think in the same way you have to take a Driving Test before you can drive and a shooting test before you get your CCW permit they need to have a Computer Test that you have to pass before you can buy a computer. That way people would have to get at least a little bit of training and have some basic knowlege of computers before they go onto forums asking for help with some of the most simple and basic things that everyone should know how to do. As always, JMHO, YMMV.
    It was unofficialy like that in the beginning. The Computer Store one of first in the country would upset some people saying they wouldn't sell them a computer, basically they decided the person would be a nightmare to supoprt. Back then buying a computer you'd by a S100 chassis, CPU card, RAM card, IO card and so on. Then get a copy of CP/M operating system, but since there was not standard BIOS you had to write in assembly language the glue code to hook CP/M to your hardware. So it cracks me up when people complain about little bumps in the road getting modern computers up and running.

Like when I did compiler support noobs would make noobs error like forget a semi-colon, but some would say our compiler sucked because "if you knew it was a semi-colon why didn't your compiler just put it in for me????" Well sorry telling you the exactly line you mess up wasn't enough. You can't win will people these days.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Linux Newbie
    The toughest part about being in IT and supporting "customers" was not telling a person they are to stupid to use a computer. It's very difficult to explain something to a grown adult that every two year old should already know. It was a main factor of my decision to change careers in 1999, I was sick of dealing with blithering idiots...

Reminds me some oldies but goodies:

The website is down
    (warning: explicit language)

Internet helpdesk - YouTube
    Roxoff likes this.
    Linux user since: June 2007
    Current distro: kubuntu-14.04
    Specs: AMD Atholon 64 X2 3.2 Ghz, 4GB RAM, GeForce GTS 250 1GB VRAM
    High five if you saw the linux computers 24 used on their CTU sets.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I used to work on an IT helldesk. It's been years and I still look both ways before crossing a one way street.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast