Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Hello all, my name is Aaron, I downloaded Zorin OS 8 64, and dumped Windows altogether the other day. I am a noob with Linux, so I will have many ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hello from the oregon coast-Former XP, first time Linux user

Hello all, my name is Aaron, I downloaded Zorin OS 8 64, and dumped Windows altogether the other day. I am a noob with Linux, so I will have many stupid questions, however I am not a Forums noob so I will wearch before asking

Screenshot from 2014-07-14 13:44:36.jpg

Linux Guru
    Howdy and Welcome from a biker dude with a linux computer. I have a online bud in Beaverton.

Hello back at you from a fellow Northwesterner!
    Starting with Zorin? I'd probably do the same myself if I were a noob nowadays. Based on ubuntu, your closest repo is probably osu.osl One may manually edit the apropos file called sources.list normally, in /etc/apt/ directory.
    Stay cool -- it's 100, plus or minus five degrees, in the valleys north of the Big River and East of the mountains!

Another internal link that is FYI and very well done.

PM me if you want, and Go Ducks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by asand1 View Post
    Hello all, my name is Aaron, I downloaded Zorin OS 8 64, and dumped Windows altogether the other day. I am a noob with Linux, so I will have many stupid questions, however I am not a Forums noob so I will wearch before asking
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. The definition of a stupid person? Someone who doesn't profit from the answers he receives.

You strike me as having a good head on your shoulders so ask whatever questions you have and enjoy the forum.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Thank you all for the replies. I am currently trying to work through my mouse not working on bootup without unplugging and plugging back in, but in another thread I received a possible solution. Also I am having issues with dvd playback, I may start a new thread for.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Linux Newbie
    Howdy. Be aware that Zorin 8 is about to become "obsolete" and Zorin 9 is now out. While it's an OK system, there are many others that run a little more smoothly - I have never been a fan of AWN...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by asand1 View Post
    Thank you all for the replies. I am currently trying to work through my mouse not working on bootup without unplugging and plugging back in, but in another thread I received a possible solution. Also I am having issues with dvd playback, I may start a new thread for.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    Fun fact: if you are an android user then technically you have already been using linux for some time now as Android is based off linux

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Fun fact: if you are an android user then technically you have already been using linux for some time now as Android is based off linux
    I realized that yesterday as I was researching on the net. Been a few years I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
    Howdy. Be aware that Zorin 8 is about to become "obsolete" and Zorin 9 is now out. While it's an OK system, there are many others that run a little more smoothly - I have never been a fan of AWN...
    I am thinking about trying another Distro, as this is quite slow really. I've got 1 G of Ram and 2.08 G single core. Any suggestions?

These posts were made at bobistheoilguy in reply to a post I made there. Any seconds? Should I forgo the 64 bit next time for stability and smoothness?

I have Xubuntu (Xfce interface) on an older HP laptop with similar hardware. I think it's a 1.9 GHz Pentium M, 1 GB RAM, some sort of low-end integrated graphics, etc. It runs pretty good on it.
    With your limited hardware, Lubuntu and Mint XFCE would be light linux distros to consider.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by asand1; 07-15-2014 at 10:43 PM.

Linux Newbie
    With that level of hardware, I'd stay with a light 32 bit distro. This is the one I generally recommend:

MX-14 "Symbiosis" | Mepis Community
    rokytnji likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast