Find the answer to your Linux question:
well what can I say i have been using windows for about 10 years now. Pretty proficient in it and the need have having to write a bash script to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hello fellow Linux users!!

well what can I say i have been using windows for about 10 years now. Pretty proficient in it and the need have having to write a bash script to help me with some work stuff has lead me here. I look forward to learning this awesome Os and just maybe being able to call myself a true linux user one day.

I got me a copy of Ubuntu since its the one of heard of the most. I have been reading for a while and have been getting familiar with the basics.

well let the fun begin!

Ubuntu 14.04 with the Unity desktop is a good place to start but Unity will get boring after a bit so chances are you'll do like many of us and Distro Hop a bit before you find your Sweet Spot. I started with Linux a year and a half ago with Ubuntu 12.04 and the Unity DE. Got tired of it and went to Linux Mint MATE which was better IMHO but still not exactly where I wanted to be. Moved to Point Linux 2.2(now it's 2.3) which is Debian Stable with MATE DE and played with Ubuntu GNOME, Xubuntu(Xfce DE) and a few others before I landed on Manjaro Xfce because I'd always wanted to go Arch but didn't have the skill set to do an Arch install so Manjaro got me close. After using it for a couple months I moved to Antergos GNOME and that's where I'm at now and it works pretty well for me.
    GNOME, Xfce and MATE are my top picks for a desktop and Debian or Arch are my Linux versions of choice. I fell that pacman is a bit easier to use and has a little more power then apt-get but your mileage may vary so play with both and make up your mind as to which fits you best.
    Anyway, welcome to the forums, hope you can move to Linux full time, I'm sure you won't regret it in the least.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Just Joined!
    For new converts, I always suggest the Kubuntu version just 'cause KDE tends to have a more Windows-ish feel to it IMHO. Unity just gives me a rash. Welcome to the World of Change Your Desktop Environment On A Whim (and finally understand where MS gets all their best ideas [innovation...ha!]).

For a general Linux tutorial, check out the old, but still relevant RUTE manual online, which also has basic BASH info. As for BASH scripting specifics, there are plenty of tutorials online. Check out the "Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide".

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Xubuntu is my goto choice for newbies. Simple and quick yet it still has enough features to be full-bodied and works out of the box.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Ubuntu 14.04 with the Unity desktop is a good place to start but Unity will get boring after a bit so chances are you'll do like many of us and Distro Hop a bit before you find your Sweet Spot. I started with Linux a year and a half ago with Ubuntu 12.04 and the Unity DE. Got tired of it and went to Linux Mint MATE which was better IMHO but still not exactly where I wanted to be. Moved to Point Linux 2.2(now it's 2.3) which is Debian Stable with MATE DE and played with Ubuntu GNOME, Xubuntu(Xfce DE) and a few others before I landed on Manjaro Xfce because I'd always wanted to go Arch but didn't have the skill set to do an Arch install so Manjaro got me close. After using it for a couple months I moved to Antergos GNOME and that's where I'm at now and it works pretty well for me.
    GNOME, Xfce and MATE are my top picks for a desktop and Debian or Arch are my Linux versions of choice. I fell that pacman is a bit easier to use and has a little more power then apt-get but your mileage may vary so play with both and make up your mind as to which fits you best.
    Anyway, welcome to the forums, hope you can move to Linux full time, I'm sure you won't regret it in the least.
    I have to say that I tried Mint mate and I have to say for me this one is pretty good coming from Windows. It even have a start button type feel. Might play with that for a while and see how it does.. Thanks for the recommendation..

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tible View Post
    Xubuntu is my goto choice for newbies. Simple and quick yet it still has enough features to be full-bodied and works out of the box.
    I will give this one a try too .. Coming from the windows world when I thought Linux I thought Ubuntu. It's the most main stream in the fact of if you don't know about Linux you probably
    Don't know there are soo many distros. Soo far I'm liking my Linux experience. Thanks to all for the tips!!