Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes
@rokytnji -- what do these guys know about coffee, pray tell? (Aside: one more to 4k!) Probably nothing. Were they supposed to? I did not know that was a thread ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

@rokytnji -- what do these guys know about coffee, pray tell? (Aside: one more to 4k!)
    Probably nothing. Were they supposed to? I did not know that was a thread requirement?

The coffee is from a Lousiana Comapny named Mellow Joy.

Which is not your Folgers Brand anyways.
    Me. I use a Samovar in the morning and evening myself. With bee honey and cream.
    Kinda a family tradition here, that I grew up on.
    My family were not coffee drinkers.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    @all
    The only requirement for coffee is that you like it! If not, then drink tea!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    @all
    The only requirement for coffee is that you like it! If not, then drink tea!
    LOL, I like Tea as well. Sometimes Irish Breakfast and sometimes Earl Grey depending on my mood but for the most part I have a glass(I have a 24oz mug that I fell 3/4 of the way full with coffee and the rest of the way with skim milk) each morning.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    That's why the weak coffee favored in certain parts of Texas and the South in general has a lot of caffeine. Keep running hot water through the coffee grounds, and you extract more and more caffeine, and less flavor. Well, actually more flavor, but very bad flavor.

Yeah, that's the stuff I grew up on and like Rubberman said: That's why we call it mud.

To be perfectrly honest I'm not all that fond of the flavor. But I"ve found lots of tricks for spiffing it up over the years: Honey, maple syurp, haezelnut extract or liqueur, vanilla extract or liqueur, brown sugar, french cream, irish cream, 1/2 and 1/2, sweetened condensed milk, kahlua and last but not least, my favorite ( that I can't have anyomre due to gut issuses ) BOURBON!

While mud tastes like somebody wiped their shoe in your mouth it does have a couple of handy uses.

It will keep you awake on a long night on the flight line, sitting there staring in to the darkness, on constant vigiliant guard for whatever. Do you guys have any idea how tired and sleepy you get sitting around in the middle of the night in attack mode for hours on end with nothing to do? The guys over in tower control made the grossest, nastiest, blackest and most bitter mud you've ever tasted. But at about 2am it was like sticking your finger in a light socket and would carry you through to 6.

The other use has only become apparent to me recently. i'm really sick with lots of gut issues. Without getting in to any gross details some times I get clogged up because of it. Well mud will help you move. It's a lot gentler on my system than anything OTC or prescription. And with a little honey, maple syrup and irish cream it at least taste better than the nasty medicine after taste.
    Last edited by Steven_G; 07-27-2014 at 08:40 PM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    LOL, I like Tea as well. Sometimes Irish Breakfast and sometimes Earl Grey depending on my mood but for the most part I have a glass(I have a 24oz mug that I fell 3/4 of the way full with coffee and the rest of the way with skim milk) each morning.
    I'm not much of a tea drinker, but my sister is after living in London for 25 years, but she is also a real coffee drinker. So, tea first thing in the morning, and last thing in the evening before her night cap. Then coffee for breakfast, etc.

@Steven_G
    Ah! That's your problem - you were using Bourbon, and not Irish Whiskey in your coffee! Who ever heard of Kentucky Coffee?

What I knew as mud was what my father made. Fill the pot with water, throw in coffee, and boil it awhile. It does fine for cheap coffee like Folger's, but I haven't made it like that in many years. Some people use eggshells to sink the grounds, some use a little cold water. IME water works better, doesn't take much. That's the way the messhalls made coffee in the Army, about 15 gallons or so at a time. When I work nights and need something to keep me awake on flights, I use a combination of peppermint and caffeine. Oil of peppermint has been shown to improve alertness even through smelling it, and Altoids have plenty of it without so much sugar as hard mints. I use Altoids for a quick wakeup, and caffeine for prolonged alertness. Works for long drives, too. I carry a couple of Starbucks Doubleshot cans in my flight bag. They keep for a long time, and there isn't time to make coffee before a flight.
    sidzen likes this.

@Rubberman, try it some time. If you're bourbon drinker you'll like it. I use a little brown sugar and 1/2 and1/2. I can only imagine how good it would be with a real cup of coffee. I think my senior would have had a conniption fit though if he knew I was sitting there thinking about how good his $50 a pound stuff would have been with a jigger or two of bouron in it!

@ sgosnell, I think all it really takes to quailify as mud is to cook it until you get every possible molecule of caffeine out of it. After that the end result is all pretty much the same: dark, bitter, oily and a shock to the system.

I used to work in a building with a starbucks in it. On the really bad mornings I would stop by, get a doppio straight up and knock it back like a shot. Talk about light up your life. But I found out the hard way to always have breakfast first or your guts would roll in knots and do back flips.

Linux Engineer
    Ah. Coffee. I roast my own but I carefully control my intake to a cup and half in the morning - a blood pressure thing. The green beans I'm working with right now are Costa Rican Tarrazu and Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. The Terrazu is a beautifully smooth, balanced bean that likes a lighter roast while the Yirgacheffe is a complex flavour that favours a slightly darker roast. I roast them separately and blend them once a week, grind them in a burr grinder moments before pouring the water on them in a press.

That said, any coffee is better then no coffee!

This is the stuff I've been enjoying recently. I have some at home and my favourite coffee shop uses it as their coffee of choice.

Badger & Dodo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3