Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    On Apple hardware Linux can be hit and miss but it's not the fault of Linux, it's Apple and their proprietary crap that stops Linux from being able to play nice with the hardware. If Apple would release some of their code to Linux Devs they could put stuff into the kernel that would allow Linux to run great on Apple stuff. Remember, OS-X is based on FreeBSD so it's not so very different from Linux.
    My wife has run a few different Distros on her Netbook and other laptops we've had over the last year and a half and has been able to adapt to all of them. All she does is surf the web, check e-mail and Facebook and play Freecell so it doesn't matter what OS is on the system, as long as she can get to the Firefox button and the Freecell button she's fine.
    I just think the majority of users are too lazy to bother to try and learn a new way of doing things even if it is a better, safer way. They just sleepwalk through their day and reflexively do things without even thinking.
    One of the things I love about Linux is that you get to think when you use it. I never understood how Windows worked but I took to Linux when I moved from OS-X and felt right at home pretty much from day one.
    I still don't understand why so many companies actively fight Linux development by making proprietary standards. What possible excuse could someone have for that?

Quote Originally Posted by rm-rf View Post
    I still don't understand why so many companies actively fight Linux development by making proprietary standards. What possible excuse could someone have for that?
    Money? By locking devices you force the market to pay for an OS to manage them. I'd bet there is some form of agreement between Apple & MS to keep stuff locked up...

Quote Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
    Money? By locking devices you force the market to pay for an OS to manage them. I'd bet there is some form of agreement between Apple & MS to keep stuff locked up...
    Oh right. Silly me! How could I forget that money is the cause of all of the world's problems? :/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by rm-rf View Post
    Oh right. Silly me! How could I forget that money is the cause of all of the world's problems? :/
    Maybe not all of them but a damn big share...

Dell is one of the few laptop/computer manufactures that's actually somewhat Linux Friendly. I've also not had any problems running Linux on my HP/Compaq laptops or my Acer Aspire ZG5 Netbook. In fact, I'd say the majority of PC hardware will run Linux well, it's just Apple has some of their Thermal controls and other stuff like that Locked Down so that the Linux kernel can't adjust stuff to keep the machine running properly.
    Apple's OS-X is now Free so for them it's not so much about making money from the OS as much as it is keeping the small market share that they have.
    I really think that all computers should be sold Without and Operating System pre-installed and that people should have to either buy(in the case of Windows) or download and install(in the case of Linux) their Op System, that way they'd at least have a very basic understanding of how things work and that Windows isn't the only game in town and if they do want to play the Windows game they'll have to pay first.
    I'd be willing to bet that many would move to Linux if this were the case.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Dell is one of the few laptop/computer manufactures that's actually somewhat Linux Friendly. I've also not had any problems running Linux on my HP/Compaq laptops or my Acer Aspire ZG5 Netbook. In fact, I'd say the majority of PC hardware will run Linux well, it's just Apple has some of their Thermal controls and other stuff like that Locked Down so that the Linux kernel can't adjust stuff to keep the machine running properly.
    Apple's OS-X is now Free so for them it's not so much about making money from the OS as much as it is keeping the small market share that they have.
    I really think that all computers should be sold Without and Operating System pre-installed and that people should have to either buy(in the case of Windows) or download and install(in the case of Linux) their Op System, that way they'd at least have a very basic understanding of how things work and that Windows isn't the only game in town and if they do want to play the Windows game they'll have to pay first.
    I'd be willing to bet that many would move to Linux if this were the case.
    You need to spend time working in support I think you'd change your idea on what people would do. Today you could never sell a device without an OS, it they can't go home flip it on and tweet or whatever the hell they do that device is going back.

Dell has had on and off Linux support for since the 90's and back away when support becomes an issue. HP has Linux support from acquiring Compaq. Compaq has some Linux driver support for their servers when Maddog worked for them. Then their was an inexpensive computer that Walmart and others sold for awhile that came with Knoppix I believe, but that died off. People just want to wiggle their finger and not have to think and its going to get worse as time goes on. The "computers" are going to go back to being a hobbyist thing and masses will have their devices.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    ...People just want to wiggle their finger and not have to think and its going to get worse as time goes on. The "computers" are going to go back to being a hobbyist thing and masses will have their devices.
    Dead on the money doc. And there's a lot behind it. The intentional dumbing down of America; have any of you guys looked at how they teach math in Common Core now?

And the money. With the OS's it's not so much about money off the OS itself as it is locking you in to their closed environment. The only software you can load on an Apple product is Apple approved and they get a cut; same type of thing with the smart phones. And if you get around it and put what you want on a piece of hardware that you own then you invalidate the warranty.

Money makes the world go round and a lot of this is being fostered by unholy aliances between corps and gov. Do you really think that big brother is getting nothing in return for the billions of dollars a year it is giving facebook in tax breaks and subsidies?

Couple that with all the campaign contributions coming out of silicon valley and now congress is in your pocket.

A lot of this is just kind of an amalgamation of crap that has been happening; trends as it were. But, there are people out there who see trends and knudge them in a more favorable direction for themselves.

Corp: Hhhmmm, they like shiny toys that a two year could use. If we break apart the functions from one big clunky box we can get them to buy 3-5 things instead of just one. And lock them in to it and make a killing.

Gov: OK, we're cool with that. But, while you're locking them out you had better let us in. We want to know everything about everyone. And tell ya what, just for giggles we'll dumb them down while we're at it. That way it will make it harder for them to know you're ripping them and easier for us to control. Two birds, one stone.

Corp: No sweat. We can dig that. We can even help speed up the dumbing down process. But if you want us to play ball then it's gonna cost you.

Gov: OK, we've got the cheddar. We pick their pockets clean all day and when that's not enough we can always print more, so who cares about cash; we want control. But if you blab we'll rip your nads off.

Corp: Deal.

Gov: Deal.

Average little guy: OOOOHHHHHHH look, now I can share pictures of my butt while I'm still on the can and all my friends will know which stall I'm in and how many squares I used. That's FN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Not average little guy: What a moron.

Gov: You're a terrorist!!!!!!!

Corp: And we won't support your evil ways!!!!

well...there is no known cure for zombies and they will most likely attack. It is best to use the hardware untill it has no recycleable value and send it to salvage. Best to leave zombies alone or if buying from one pretend it is not a virus riddled corrupt drive that needs to be replaced with less ram than is required to run the upgraded os and how excited you are to get back on facebook after your last computer crashed from viruses. escape as quickly as possible without alerting them to the smell of humanity. always do this during daylight.

SkittleLinux18
    Just let him go back to browsing the internet on power point.

I can agree with most on this. I too work in support and the majority can't even change their own desktop background. In the days of XP they couldn't fathom how this white active desktop recovery screen had appeared and couldn't even get rid of it even though the instructions where there in front of them on the wallpaper itself! Most people do want to just pull open a laptop and tell the world what they are having for lunch and what they are currently watching on TV. So leave them to it I suppose. If they are that zombified that they don't want to unlock their devices full potential then they are the ones missing out. I for one enjoy tinkering and can't just leave everything at factory settings