Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
I thought I had my NC6400 sold today but after the preson ask "What's a ZorinOS 9" I pointed him to the link and he told me he'd wasn't "up" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I totally believe that the majority of computer users are idiots.

I thought I had my NC6400 sold today but after the preson ask "What's a ZorinOS 9" I pointed him to the link and he told me he'd wasn't "up" on Linux and he'd better stick with Windows 7. I can't believe it, is this person such an idiot that he can't use ZorinOS? It's only one of the easiest Linux Distros on the planet for a Windows user to transition with to Linux and I even have it set up to Look like Windows 7.
    When will people learn that there's more Frickin' Operating Systems on the Planet then Frickin' Windows???
    Anyway, I just had to RANT a little bit or my head was going to explode. Thanks for puttin' up with me.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

I'm doing a bunch of work for the wife to get her off one lappy and on to another with more horsepower. I picked up both used. The unit I'm getting her off of is still a good little unit and I want to sell it after the migration. I bought it used for her from a pawn shop without a restore disk. Before I sell I'm going to drop 15-30 bucks to get the restore b/c I don't want to have that exact same headache. I figure it will sell faster and for more with dumb ol' doze on it.

Scrag 'em. I'm not out to save their hides, just flip an old lappy. If they're dumb enough to buy it then caveat emptor.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    I thought I had my NC6400 sold today but after the preson ask "What's a ZorinOS 9" I pointed him to the link and he told me he'd wasn't "up" on Linux and he'd better stick with Windows 7. I can't believe it, is this person such an idiot that he can't use ZorinOS? It's only one of the easiest Linux Distros on the planet for a Windows user to transition with to Linux and I even have it set up to Look like Windows 7.
    When will people learn that there's more Frickin' Operating Systems on the Planet then Frickin' Windows???
    Anyway, I just had to RANT a little bit or my head was going to explode. Thanks for puttin' up with me.

Welcome to my world.
    Every laptop I have sold has had Windows on it. I usually include a Linux Live CD that I know works OOTB in a live session also in the sale and a laptop bag. Don't expect anyone to think like you do when selling something. I run into this also when working on motorcycles.
    The customer is always right. If you want the money that is. I have sold everything from a Compaq 1540DM running Windows 95 (back in 200 to
    My dual core Acer Aspire 5534 with Windows 7 (for what I asked in both cases/sales).

There is a trick to it TNFrank. Don't say too much and just show that it works, basically. Too much info can be a bad thing.
    Just my 2 cents.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    USER is one of the four letter words and they are worse than ever. They don't want to think just just want to wiggle their finger on a touch screen and say we are computer savvy. With Windows and Mac they have support they can whine to and tell them to put the rescue disk in and start over and they gladly do so. Linux still requires basic computer skills and that's more than USER's want to do. Look at posts here the number that don't look things up, they don't want to learn they just want a cookbook answer. The Skynet from Terminator is conceivable today because the masses are willing to turn over thinking to a cool looking device.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    ... The Skynet from Terminator is conceivable today because the masses are willing to turn over thinking to a cool looking device.
    Conceivable? Hell brother, they've already got the bones and I give 'em another 10, maybe 15 years, MAX before they finish fleshing it out.

I really didn't mean to go off like that(or DID I, LOL) but I get so frustrated at these people that buy a computer(or other Tech Device) then make zero effort to learn how to use it. They just want to push a button and be spoon fed everything but really, how frickin' hard is it to do a "sudo pacman -Syu" to update your ENTIRE system. I think that's much easier then anything that Windoze has to offer yet the masses would rather do it the hard way because they're not willing to learn a little bit about an easier way, the Linux Way, of doing things. I thought Mac OS-X was easy and intutive to use, my God, Linux is even more simple to use once you learn a few of the basic Terminal commands.
    I guess you just can't reach some folks with the Good News of Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    ...I think that's much easier then anything that Windoze has to offer yet the masses would rather do it the hard way...
    Actually they don't. Following protocol 80% plus of my calls are less than 5 minutes. I get your basic info, open a ticket and ask you to run an update check while I work.

"Oh, I see, you have 354 updates due (No BS, I actually had that once. We think it was a department record). Please install all updates, then rerun the update check and keep installing updates until no more are availabale and see if that fixes it. If not then call us back and refer to your ticket number.

But why would needing a couple of hundred updates break XYZ?"

(Keep typing) Blow smoke up customers butt about basic comp BS, give ticket number, close call.
    Last edited by Steven_G; 07-30-2014 at 09:56 PM.

Linux Newbie
    There is nothing wrong with being a user - that's all I am. There was a time in my life that I was fluent with several programming languages and knew standard computer hardware inside and out. Today, I just want my computer to do the things I want it to do without fiddling with config files. Does that make me an evil person?

Seriously, Linux "Gods" need to chill out and accept that not everyone wants or needs to know how to build a system from scratch. Also, there are basic things no Linux system does well - like managing an Ipod or running Turbotax so it is not a be all end all.

And yes, I am posting this from a Linux system...

Quote Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
    There is nothing wrong with being a user - that's all I am. There was a time in my life that I was fluent with several programming languages and knew standard computer hardware inside and out. Today, I just want my computer to do the things I want it to do without fiddling with config files. Does that make me an evil person?

Seriously, Linux "Gods" need to chill out and accept that not everyone wants or needs to know how to build a system from scratch. Also, there are basic things no Linux system does well - like managing an Ipod or running Turbotax so it is not a be all end all.

And yes, I am posting this from a Linux system...
    Sorry, but you don't qualify as a user. You're more retired with a clue.

I'm no linux god. Not by a long shot.

I feel the same way about cars that I feel about linux and everything else to do with computers: Everybody should be able to do at least basic maintenance. I'm kind of with my car like you are with computers now. I know how to do a tune up. But I've got old back injuries and new gut issues. I'm not up to crawling around under the hood anymore. I'll pay somebody to do it for me. But I know enough to know if he's ripping me off or doing the job right.

I know desktop linuix is a niche product and probably always will be. And as much as I hate it I need doze in a VM to run my printer and some other stuff. But *nix on the desktop being niche is probably a good thing in the long haul. A) It will help slow down the idiot creep by not needing to cater to the lowest common denominator. B) I hate to think what some of the real morons out there could do by clicking through some of the linux tools out there. Putting CAINE, Kali or BackBox in the wrong hands would be like giving a 2 year old a loaded gun. It's far better left locked up for the grown ups.

USERS (mumbled under the breath with the same venom as the worst of all four letter words) are the 97% of lazy morons that use computers and want everything done for them and will give up any information or freedom or liberty or common sense or personal space so long as it is handed to them all wrapped up in a nice little bow already finished and requiring no effort.

Sticking to the car analogy these are the same people who don't know what a turn signal is for, or think the lines on the road are there for everyone else, or can't hold a line through even a mild curve or flip me off after I slam on my breaks and lay on my horn when they almost side swipe me.

There is an old, old saying in compsec: "If given the choice between dancing elephants and security, users will pick dancing elephants every time".

USERS are the people who call me so often that I get to know them by voice as soon as they open their mouth and then get very nasty with me b/c every time they call in I have them run a "stupid update check". Oh, 15 due since your last call? Run them and call us back, blah, blah, blah. And what I'd really like to say is: "Hey, moron, we've already been through this 57 times. You know I can't start trouble shooting before you're up to date. Why do we have to do this crap. The updates almost always fix it for you. You almost never call back on the same issue. Why can't you just run the damn updates before you call me so that I can devote the *not* inexpensive man hours that my company is billing your company for my time to people who actually need help getting something that's actually broken fixed"!!!!!!!!!!!

The only good thing about USERS is they keep the rest of us employed.

Quote Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
    Not even talking about building a system from scratch. I'm talking about a guy who backed out on buying a laptop because it had LINUX on it instead of Windows 7 and it's not even because he needed Windows 7, it's because he wasn't "UP" on Linux and didn't know if he could use the system or not.
    I tried to tell him that it was as easy as falling off of a log, much easier then Windows but to no avail. He just didn't want to make a small amount of effort to even give it a try. He'd rather go back to sleep and let MicroSoft tell him how to do things and pay them a fee for the privilege of being a slave to a Corporation.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast