Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
My new Chrome Book basically became a door stop. Basic short story. My Chromebook quite booting. Tried my pre made recovery 4 gig usb. Unexpected error. Contact google. I tried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Rant: ChromeOS/google support = Tits on a Bull

My new Chrome Book basically became a door stop.

Basic short story. My Chromebook quite booting. Tried my pre made recovery 4 gig usb. Unexpected error. Contact google. I tried all kinds of recovery tools. The linux.sh, the windows recovery app, the chrome browser recovery center. On PNY, Kigston,Sandisk, and HP usb sticks.
    I even bought me a 7mm Kingston 60 gig SSD in case the original Sandsik 16 gig SSD had broke down.

Unexpected error, contact google.

So my emails after giving details . Emails are with the Kingston 60 gig SSD (Brand new not used) installed:

Them: chromeos-support@google.com

5:09 PM (3 hours ago)

to me
    Thanks for contacting the Chrome Ninja Team.

You’ll hear from us shortly. In the meantime, visit the Chrome Device Help Center at http://support.google.com/chromeos to see available troubleshooting information.

If you have other questions or concerns, just reply to this email.

Thanks,
    The Chrome Ninja Team

Them Again:
    to me
    Hi Harry,

Thank you for contacting Google. My name is Jonathan and I would be happy to assist you today.

If you are having trouble recovering, when you get to the recovery screen, please press the tab key on your keyboard. This should trigger the page to give you a recovery_reason or Recovery Reason code.

Please let me know what message and code it gives you so I can help you with the next steps.

Thanks,

Jonathan
    The Chrome Ninja Team
    https://productforums.google.com/for...ctx=hts_footer

Me:

to chromeos-suppo.
    HWID: PARROT DORADO A-E 5111
    recovery_reason: 0x5a No bootable storage device in system
    VbSD, flags: 0x00000640
    VbNv, raw, 70 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20
    dev_boot_usb: 0
    dev_boot_signed_only: 0
    TPM: fwver=0x00010003 kernver=0x00030001
    gbb.flags: 0x00000000
    gbb.rootkey: 9f59876c7f7dc881f02d934786c6b7c2c17daac
    gbb.recovery_key: 7f03c648d2bb4ab3979cb87633da51ed90267f03
    read-only firmware id: Google_Parrot.2685.54.0
    active firmware id: Google Parrot.2685.54.0

This is with the Kingston 7mm 60 gig sata ssd inserted. If I need to put the 16 gig original ssd back in. Let me know.
    My preference is to run the chromebook with the 60 gig Kingston though since I bought it new in the package.
    But if it makes a difference. I will re-insert the 16gig Sandisk SSD. I just want it to work.

Their reply:
    Thank you for contacting Google.

The Chromebook is designed to only work with specific hardware so I would suggest putting back the original SSD if you have already removed it. If you still get the same error with the original SSD, you will want to look into repair options for your Chromebook with Acer. Since you have already removed the hard drive, your warranty will be void with Acer however you still can contact them here:

ACER site: Acer | Support

If you have any more questions, please reply to this email so I can continue to assist you.

my rant: If I wanted to be treated like a Windows user. I would have bought a Windows netbook. I did not expect to get support like this.

It is a catch 22 type of issue I found myself in. The thing won't boot.
    I am a experienced computer user who knows how to RTFM and also
    know how to do hardware changes on laptops and netbooks.

"We have encountered an unexpected problem"
    What the heck is that! Hitting the tab key to give the google rep the info
    gets me a canned answer. Like Tits on a Bull.

I am not done with with this yet. I'll pull the 16gig SSD. Use my
    external sata drive to usb cables. Go to the Chrome Browser recovery center. Hit the gear and tell it to erase my 16gig SSD. Then use Linux Gparted to look at it to make sure all 16 gig is there. ChromeOS uses
    a unknown file format on a bunch of different partitions so gparted has a hard time mounting it. Which means Gparted won't mount it.

The net is empty on what I am experiencing and what comes close is to either try what I have done. Or send it to Acer.

Something I know better than doing. ACER support sux. Simple as that.
    Looks like Google Chrome OS, Android OS, support sux as well.

Just my opinion. If I knew then what I know now. I would not have forked out the money for this Acer C710 door stop.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Just slightly better than Comcast "support". At least they aren't trying to sell you more stuff that won't work...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Guru
    I guess the support dude does not even know what I know.

Upgrade Acer C7 Chromebook

I had no realization the proprietary nature of the chrome books. Intel processor>check. DDR3 ram>Check. Sata 3 SSD>check.

But the firmware is for crap. With built in ways to fail like UEFI.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    UEFI is not proprietary to chromebooks. It's on all new equipment, Windows or whatever. I agree the error message isn't very specific, but that is really an Acer problem, not necessarily a Google problem. Google provides the OS, but Acer implements it on their hardware. You'll get the same questions and all, from any support persons, regardless of what you buy or problem you have. You just have to deal with it. Tech support cannot assume you know your butt from a hole in the ground, because most people who call them don't. IME, though, eventually Google support will be of some help, but you have to get past the front line support folks, who deal with the masses and can only go through their checklist. If you stay calm and provide detailed, concise, technically literate information, you should eventually get the issue resolved. Posting on Google+ can help, because it gets more visibility.

Well there's support and then there's support.

I've been on both sides of the fence. I was calling in to support for more than 20 years and have tons of hair pulling stories where I thought my brain was going to explode b/c the moron on the other end didn't know as much as I did. And it's not like I'm some kind of super guru or anything. I think I have a good, solid, all around mid-level skill set. But I am by no means some Neo to the max super dude.

Then I got in to support. It turns out my town is like some big support hub. I didn't even know it until I started looking to get in to it.

I applied for like 15 jobs at once. I was called in for all of them. After I made it through the first interview they all had me do some form of testing.

14 of them tested me to make sure that I spoke fluent english and typed at least 25 words per minute and could handle people getting mad me and not blow up at them in return. And that was pretty much the extent of the qualifications.

Of those 14 only 2 asked me any tech questions at all. And thet were really basic, like how do you change the default printer in doze kind of stuff.

The only one that really grilled me on any tech knowledge is the one I'm working for now.

I'm Tier 1. I mostly do triage. I fix the basic and mid-level stuff and if I can't then I have to narrow it down enough to run the right diags and collect the right logs and send you to the right sub-group in Tier 2.

But I would have to say that from my experience from being on both sides of the fence and going through the hiring process that our T1s are the equivalent of most company's T2s.

IMHO, at most companies T1s are more like an answering service than aything else.

But, even at companies where they require T1s to have at least a basic clue there are so many restrictions on us it's crazy.

For instance, and this one drives me and my callers nuts: *Everybody* on my client's network is a member of some kind of testing program. Period. So some part of your setup will always be at least beta, if not alpha software.

Now they don't make this real obvious to any of the users. They send them a huge e mail with a bunch of crap in it. And people do what they always do, they skim it and then click the link. Or they get a pop up on the desktop and click it.

Shortly there after something breaks, so they call me. And I check version numbers and have the pleasure of informing them that they are running alpha / beta / testing code which is unsupported!!!

Which means that I can give you exactly 15 minutes of my best effort and if I can't pull a rabbit out of my butt in nothing flat and figure out either a fix or a work around then I have to get you off the phone and catch the next call or I get a write up for spending too much time on something unsupported. And I can't send you to T2 or I get a write up for escalating something unsupported.

Personally I think that's just frippin insane. You force 150K user to all participate in some level of A/B testing and then you don't offer support for it and leave them in a broken state until our bosses collect, colate and catergorize enough of the same complaints to send up to the code mokeys so we can all wait for a patch or a new stable version to come down the pipe.

And in the mean time, depending on what breaks, how bad it breaks, how many people it breaks and how much it breaks production the turn around time from the code monkeys can be anywhere from hours to months.

Me and my cohorts have a saying: We're not here to fix stuff, we're here to take as many phone calls as possible. And if we happen to fix something along the way that's great.
    Last edited by Steven_G; 08-23-2014 at 10:37 AM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Re sgosnell's comment:

I've had to delve into Google's tech support a few times. Eventually I got to the "email us a description of the problem" page, and in a day or so some real person emailed me back. We had an email conversation, and they helped me sort the problem out. Unfortunately, there is basically no way to get a live person on the line, or chat session. If you have a paid business apps account, they are much better.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Google's people, at least some of them, are on the Google+ chromebook forums, and if you post problems there, you should hear something back. They don't like negative publicity, and will try to solve the problem. I think that's the quickest way to a solution, if you show that you know a little about what you're talking about. I wasn't getting much help from the regular Google forums, just the standard checklist stuff, but as I posted detailed feedback, and posted on the Google+ forum, I got actual help rather quickly. The "ninjas" are just front-line tech support, and don't necessarily know a lot. But there are people available who do know their stuff, if you get to them, they are helpful, as long as you don't rant about stuff they can't fix in any circumstance. Be polite, be knowledgeable, and be firm, and you will get help.

Linux Guru
    Well, I re-inserted the 16gig SSD today. Just crossing fingers on maybe I will get lucky or something.
    Same error message, even the detailed error code using the tab key was the same.

Funny part sgosnell. This problem originated by me looking at the ssd bay inside the chromebook to see how much space I had for a upgrade. I did not touch/remove any components.
    All I did was pull one cover screw and look inside.
    That was when I got the unbootable error message and was asked to insert recover media.

I think the Acer seal deal as A scam. One cannot upgrade their gear without voiding the warranty.
    Catch 22. I bet it would make you upset if you were not allowed to customize/upgrade your helicopter with
    better servos than the original for crisper control and then be told your powerplant now would not be
    covered by warranty because of a servo change.

I am always polite,knowledgable,and firm. I cruised the google + boards before my rant. I got a lot of forum posts hits "Contact a ninja" "Contact the manufacturer".
    No real posts on actually re-formatting the internal ssd to reinstall chrome os or reformat the ssd and install a Gnu/Linux replacement.

So my plan of action later. I have some physical healing going on presently. Is to format my 16 gig SSD. Try again to go into developer mode. Which is another story where the netbook
    does not seem to cooperate with through all the the steps. Install Bohdi instead to the internal SSD. Leave ChromeOS off of it.

I guess all I can hope for is for some hack later on. Where a usb based firmware bios upgrade based on open source. Is available so that I can hit a F key and control the gear like a normal
    computer. Instead of the dumbed down hidden features that these appliances have now.

Kinda like a bic lighter. They are great when they work. Forget fixing them when they break.

Edit: PS, I had to be detailed and concise in my original email to even get a response from a ninja.
    They only give you a 500 character in the service request email though to describe the issue.
    I will try google + when I feel better but I DON'T hold much hope on that front.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 08-23-2014 at 04:35 PM.

You cannot upgrade a helicopter in the US at will. You can only use parts manufactured and approved by the FAA and the manufacturer. You cannot add any other parts. Period. It's the law. But that's not the point here.

The point, it seems to me, is that you need to be talking to Acer, not Google. Acer warrants the device, not Google. Your problem appears, from your description, to be a hardware problem, not a software problem. Whether Acer will honor their warranty is uncertain, but that's the company you need to be talking to. I sincerely hope it works out for you. I also have an Acer chromebook, and luckily I've had no issues with it so far. It has worked fine, even though I've installed Debian on it, then reinstalled ChromeOS and then Debian in a chroot. I follow the chromebook, chromebox, and ChromeOS discussions on Google+, and there are very few complaints about the Acer. But it's certainly possible for one to have a hardware problem, and it should be fixed if it's under warranty. I have no idea how Acer handles warranty work, or warranty breaches through hardware mods. I really hope you get it fixed.

Linux Guru
    With all due respect. I do not think it a hardware issue as the chromebook is only months old and maybe was booted less than a 50 times.

So I will go with the google + board and wish me the best I guess. This is the first salvo.

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium...ss/Dyd4Dhwk61w
    Last edited by rokytnji; 08-24-2014 at 08:45 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast