Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
So if I were getting my full 6Mbps connection speed then I should have a download speed around 750KB/s. I wonder where I'm getting the 900KB/s from? Maybe for the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

So if I were getting my full 6Mbps connection speed then I should have a download speed around 750KB/s. I wonder where I'm getting the 900KB/s from? Maybe for the brief period where I had the 12Mbps connection where I'd get around 1395KB/s on a good day.
    All I know is that I wish I had more bandwidth. I did a Speed Test at the other end of the house where the Roku is at at got around 500KB/s so hopefully when i get the new Modem/Router with the external 5db antennas it'll boost the signal to that part of the house so I'll get my full 700KB/s speeds, that'd help the Roku work better I'd bet.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    5.6mb/s on 6.0mb/s connection is bloody good! I speak as someone on an 8mb/s connection who rarely gets over 3.4mb/s as I'm too far from the exchange.

Things that can affect the speed include:
    • Distance from exchange
    • Quality of the wire
    • Weather conditions - before they did some upgrades down here in the compost heap of England a thunderstorm 20 miles away would take the connection down and we only got 2.0mb/s
    • Number of properties connected and active

Over here they are very clear that the quoted speed is a maximum and they also tell you what you can realistically expect to get when you sign up.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

I'm less then 1/8th of a mile from the DSL Main Hub. Frontier is suppose to have fiber optic to the Hub but regular phone line from the hub to the customers, go figure, LOL. There's only about 3 or 4 house between me and the Main Hub so that's not too bad. I think once I get the new Modem/Router with the antennas it'll broadcast better to the Roku that's 60 odd feet away so I'll get full signal to it and it'll work better, that's my main "issue" is that the Roku will buffer sometimes and from what I've read it's only suppose to take about 300KB/s for an HD video so I know I"m not getting enough signal through on peak times. During off hours it's fine though. Probably should just be happy with what I have because I DO remember having dial up and that really sucked.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Ah yes. 14.4k. Surfing at its finest.

Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    Ah yes. 14.4k. Surfing at its finest.
    My Dial Up was 56K but still, slower then Molasses in January.

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

My DSL provider, CenturyLink, states:
    Your target download for a wired Ethernet connection will be 80% of your purchased speed. 20% of the bandwidth is reserved for overhead and routing your data packets over the network.
    Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Quote Originally Posted by drl View Post
    Hi.

My DSL provider, CenturyLink, states:

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Wow, that would drop a 6Mbps connection down to 4.8Mbps and they'd still call it "good". Guess I am doing better then many when it comes to my DSL speed.

My first modem was 300 baud. It took years before 14.4k was available.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    My first modem was 300 baud. It took years before 14.4k was available.
    I remember that and eventually 56 baud was like heaven. Then I started telecommuting and the put ISDN in my house for me and amazing even those connection would drop regularly. Before I moved I has FIOS as home and that was great, fast and in the years I had it only two short outages. Now here in the desert cable and I'm sad again.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Linux Guru
    I'm on cable here and have been real happy with it. This morning it's 23.7Mbps down and 2.7Mbps up which is average. I run a dual wifi 5ghz and 2.4ghz with a repeating bridge for the 2.4. The speed test is on the 5ghz frequency.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast