Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Had the Tech come out and look at my wifi/phone line DSL connection yesterday and they ran a new phone wire back to the phone jack that my DSL connects ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Since when is 5.6Mb/s the same as 6Mb/s??

Had the Tech come out and look at my wifi/phone line DSL connection yesterday and they ran a new phone wire back to the phone jack that my DSL connects to, removed all the other phone wires so I'm not losing bandwidth though other wires, connected the better main phone line coming from the poll to the house so all my connections are as good as they can be.
    He told me that he measured my speed at the Office(where ever that is) and I was getting 5.6Mb/s then he did it here at the house and because I'm only 1/8 mile from the DSL port I'm getting 5.6Mb/s here too but I'm paying for a 6Mb/s connection so how is this ok?
    I'm actually not getting any more download speed with this 6Mb/s connection then I was with the 3Mb/s connection that I had and in fact I think I'm getting a bit less.
    With the 3Mb/s connection I'd get 720 to 730KB/s on a good day, the 6Mb/s connection tops of at around 705KB/s and I was sure that the first week or so I had in the lower 900's but for some reason it's down to below that I had with my old 3Mb/s connection. Is it that there's just so many more people on the 6Mb/s connection that I'm splitting bandwidth with that I'm actually getting less then with the other connection?
    Anyway, I'll sure be glad when we can move and get an ISP other then Frontier, they have some nice people but their service(as in the product they sell) really sucks.
    Just had to get that off of my chest, thanks for listening.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Don't hold your breath all providers suck in one way or another.

Speed is usually in the fine print as potential speed.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Don't hold your breath all providers suck in one way or another.

Speed is usually in the fine print as potential speed.
    I'm just trying to figure out why my old 3Mb/s connection gave me more KB/s then the "faster" 6Mb/s one does. Maybe there were fewer people on the 3Mb/s connection to pull bandwidth from it but still, seems like even with more people the 6Mb/s should give me more then 700KB/s. Like I said, the first week or two I was in the low 900's with it. What's changed?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Bandwidth is not split on DSL connections like it is with cable internet. Irritate your DSL provider...

Linux Engineer
    Have you run tool like: Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

There's all kinds of reasons for not getting full bandwidth - much depends on what you're testing.

I've run this one:
    http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

And the Frontier one:
    http://frontier.com/speedtest

And the very best I've ever come up with is 5.7Mbps, normally it's 5.6Mbps and download speeds are right around 700KB/s.
    Last edited by TNFrank; 09-04-2014 at 05:20 PM.

Linux Newbie
    If you really feel like you're being ripped off, call your DSL provider and demand they fix your connection. If they can't - switching providers is your only option. As was said earlier, the speeds listed are maximum potential speeds and a zillion factors can affect your actual throughput...

Linux Engineer
    That's your connection speed then (ISP's use 'weird' math I'm sure). When you're actual download is slower it could be any number of reasons. Heavy load on your box, an overloaded router somewhere in the path the packets are taking, a slow and/or overloaded server at the other end, long runs. The list goes on and on. Since your on DSL and not cable it shouldn't be the line between you and your provider though it could be something in your own network. The speed test seems to verify that you're getting about what the provider claims. Data rates are always approximations anyway - they are actually average rates per second.

Frontier is the only ISP I can get where I live. There's really nothing much on my "network", I have my Roku box and 3 laptops but I always do my speed tests with only my main laptop on the network, everything else is off. The Tech yesterday seemed to think that 5.6Mbps was pretty good for my 6Mbps service. I guess this is just what I'll have to live with for a few more months until we move then I'll look for something better.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Notice Mb/s vs KB/s which is bits vs bytes so 700KB/s is somewhere around 5.6 Mb/s (700 * 8)
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast