Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I saw an advert on the TV last night for Football Manager 2015 and they said "out now on PC, Mac and Linux." The steam -roller ride continues!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

Linux is officially main stream!

I saw an advert on the TV last night for Football Manager 2015 and they said "out now on PC, Mac and Linux." The steam-roller ride continues!
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Don't you hate it when they call it a "PC", I mean, come on, weather it's running Windows, OS-X or Linux they're ALL PC's, i.e. Personal Computers. What they should have said was "Available for Windows, Mac and Linux", LOL
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Don't you hate it when they call it a "PC", I mean, come on, weather it's running Windows, OS-X or Linux they're ALL PC's, i.e. Personal Computers. What they should have said was "Available for Windows, Mac and Linux", LOL
    Well, to be precise PC is an architecture. Not all Linux are for PCs; Mac wasn't on PC architecture, though maybe it is now; I don't think all MS boxes are PC's either - their phones and tablets at a minimum won't be.

It does stand for Personal Computer but it's an architecture based on something IBM developed back around 1980.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The Personal Computer goes back even further than that. Edmund Berkley was messing around with PC's back in 1948. ANY computer that you use personally is a Personal Computer or PC regardless of it's architecture. It's just that over the years people started calling Non-Mac Personal Computers "PC's" to divide them from the Apple PC's which ran Apple Software as opposed to Windows Software.
    The platform is irrelevant since you can run many Linux Distros on both "PC's" and Macs so I think that when someone is talking about software they should specify weather it'll run on a Windows, Mac or Linux based OS. When they say PC, Mac or Linux they're saying "Personal Computer, Mac or Linux which just doesn't make any sense since ALL computers used personally are PC's. "Windows, Mac or Linux" is how it should be stated and not "PC, Mac or Linux". Words have meanings and twisting those meanings only leads to more confusion in an already confusing subject.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

When they say PC, Mac or Linux they're saying "Personal Computer, Mac or Linux which just doesn't make any sense since ALL computers used personally are PC's. "Windows, Mac or Linux" is how it should be stated and not "PC, Mac or Linux". Words have meanings and twisting those meanings only leads to more confusion in an already confusing subject.
    I think it's one of Microsoft's great triumphs; turning "PC" into shorthand for "Windows PC".

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux Guru
    The Personal Computer goes back even further than that. Edmund Berkley was messing around with PC's back in 1948. ANY computer that you use personally is a Personal Computer or PC regardless of it's architecture. It's just that over the years people started calling Non-Mac Personal Computers "PC's" to divide them from the Apple PC's which ran Apple Software as opposed to Windows Software.
    The platform is irrelevant since you can run many Linux Distros on both "PC's" and Macs so I think that when someone is talking about software they should specify weather it'll run on a Windows, Mac or Linux based OS. When they say PC, Mac or Linux they're saying "Personal Computer, Mac or Linux which just doesn't make any sense since ALL computers used personally are PC's. "Windows, Mac or Linux" is how it should be stated and not "PC, Mac or Linux". Words have meanings and twisting those meanings only leads to more confusion in an already confusing subject.
    It is correct to call any computer being used for personal use a personal computer but PC means something else. An ARM, Sun SPARC, IBM RISC can't correctly be called a PC whether you're using them as a personal computer or not.

Just Joined!
    Well linux has been a mainstream, just not on desktops. (cough android cough)

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    That's a good point and it may be that Linux on the desktop is benefiting from the acceptance android has received.

Did I just really meet the first Linux hipster in my life?

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    How many Android users know or care that it is Linux? Not bloody many so Android has been mainstream on phones rather than Linux. I guess that's a petty distinction but there it is!

Quote Originally Posted by clockshell View Post
    Did I just really meet the first Linux hipster in my life?
    You know it Daddio

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast