Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

What are you reading?

I read a lot, especially since I retired. With Calibre for the PC and Moon Reader for the tablet it's finally possible for these old eyes to participate again. Been into fantasy lately and read all The Dresden Files, The Codex Alera, and The Iron Druid Chronicles, Discovered the Riyria series by Michael Sullivan and it's probably my favorite right now. Lots of fun to read, great stories, and very good chemistry between the "heroes".

I hardly turn on the TV anymore except for Saturday to watch college football, rather read...
    Are you a clueless Kali user? If you can't get Kali running on your own, it ain't the right distro for you.

Bukowski, Post Office & T. Jefferson Parker, The Renegades

The user guide that came in the Skull Candy External Bluetooth speaker package.

Now where is my magnifier glasses. The print on this piece of paper is tiny tiny tiny.

My personal Library is mostly sci fi and service manuals. The sci link in my previous sentence is a google preview of one of my paper back novels on the shelf.

Lets see what I have on this laptop

Code:
     ~/Books $ ls
    brightmessenger_1311_librivox  short_scifi_008_0810_librivox_64kb_mp3
    Epub                           zip
     ~/Books $ cd Epub
    ~/Books/Epub $ ls
    Brian_Lumley  E.E._Doc_Smith  H.P.Lovecraft  O.A.Kline
    Classics      E.R.Burroughs   Julius_Ceaser  R.E.Howard
     ~/Books/Epub $ cd  Julius_Ceaser 
     ~/Books/Epub/Julius_Ceaser $ ls
    AfricanWars.epub     CivilWar3.epub   GallicWar4.epub  GallicWar8.epub
    AlexandrineWar.epub  GallicWar1.epub  GallicWar5.epub  HispanicWar.epub
    CivilWar1.epub       GallicWar2.epub  GallicWar6.epub
    CivilWar2.epub       GallicWar3.epub  GallicWar7.epub
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Alastair Reynolds - Revelation Space

actually, i already finished it and moved on to "Blue remembered Earth" by the same author.
    So far I liked each & every book I read by him, although they are not very suspenseful - the appeal lies in highly imaginative stories of future and space travel.

just like Iain M. Banks.

I'm currently reading something called Directive 51, I can't remember the name of the author but it's a page-turner. The author imagines a viral online community held together by a common dislike of the "Big System" (i.e. modern life), which develops into a determination to destroy it. They have almost nothing else in common and there's no central organisation. On a designated day codenamed Daybreak, hundreds of people carry out acts of sabotage, for example releasing biohacked bugs that destroy plastic polymers. And the book charts the breakup of America that results.

What I find fascinating about this is that we're beginning to see something like this already. 21st centry terrorist groups like Islamic State do still have a central organisation that plans big outrages like Paris, but there are also loads of disaffected young people who get radicalised online and regard themselves as part of the movement. When they carry out individual murders, purely on impulse, IS is happy to take the credit. It's becoming more a franchise than an organisation. Daybreak is presented as the same sort of thing taken to an extreme and it's frighteningly believable.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    A great fantasy that is very different to the traditional model is Hawkmoon by Michael Moorcock
    Should you be sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    A great fantasy that is very different to the traditional model is Hawkmoon by Michael Moorcock
    Yes. I have some of his stuff also on my shelf in paperback. He is a excellent writer also. Very skilled story teller.

@Hazel. Is this the one?

Link
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.

I've read a number of series dealing with the collapse of America (the world follows) and they are generally based on one of two things: loss of the power grid (EMP) or a total collapse of the economic system - both of which are quite possible in today's environment. For an interesting read, search for "The Union Creek Journal" it was a very well written web serial that dealt with the results of a economic collapse. These fictional disasters are very scary because they are possible...
    Are you a clueless Kali user? If you can't get Kali running on your own, it ain't the right distro for you.

-->
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post

@Hazel. Is this the one?

Link
    Yes, that's it. I remember reading one about an EMP apocalypse too but I can't remember what it was called or who wrote it.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com