Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

In Linux We Trust

Hi everyone,

New to the Linux world (or let us be fair to the GNU/Linux world), with interest in IT, open source OS and software, and privacy.

Like many people, am on the point to leave M$ and shift to Linux, also spelled LI-GNU-X

Quote Originally Posted by LIGNUX View Post
    Hi everyone,

New to the Linux world (or let us be fair to the GNU/Linux world), with interest in IT, open source OS and software, and privacy.

Like many people, am on the point to leave M$ and shift to Linux, also spelled LI-GNU-X
    LiGnuX is funny it's in some way more exact than "Linux"

Just Joined!
    Hi everyone,

Leave ms ASAP, it's only good for gaming apparently (and that due to Nvidia's stubbornness). What linux OS are you currently using? Just curious.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by greekfreak View Post
    Leave ms ASAP, it's only good for gaming apparently (and that due to Nvidia's stubbornness). What linux OS are you currently using? Just curious.

Hi,

Not knowing what to use, I have tried a lot of them (from the smallest to the biggest ones, but also distros like Tails, etc.) (even tried to install BSD but failed lol)

Originally planned to use Debian, as it appears to be something really strong, but then problems appeared, so not having too much time to waste, shifted to Linux Mint 17.3, the ready to use distro and the most new users friendly; the perfect transition distro when you come from M$ (although distros like Ubuntu, Lubuntu, PuppyLinux are cool stuffs too).

If guys like Linus Torvalds fails to install and run Debian (see Youtube video watch?v=7SofmXIYvGM ), then newbies like myself don't have to be embarrassed and may leave for another distro.

May try again to go back to Debian later on.

Anyway, not looking for a tailored OS, just something that works, stable, safe, that respects privacy and that doesn't mobilize all the computer's resources for itself.

There is no reason to be embarrassed using a user-friendly distro. I'm using Xubuntu and I don't care if it's a noob-distro, it works fine and I like it

Inviato dal mio M3s utilizzando Tapatalk

Just Joined!
    Well there's nothing like a noob distro, if it works for you (and is Linux &#128513 it's just fine

Quote Originally Posted by greekfreak View Post

Nvidia actually has newer drivers for Linux than for Mac OS X, which is funny because Mac OS X is a bigger platform, and it has more mainstream software. With OS X, you’re stuck with Maxwell GPUs. With Linux on the other hand, you can use Pascal GPUs.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by JMan07 View Post
    Nvidia actually has newer drivers for Linux than for Mac OS X, which is funny because Mac OS X is a bigger platform, and it has more mainstream software. With OS X, you’re stuck with Maxwell GPUs. With Linux on the other hand, you can use Pascal GPUs.
    One of the reasons why nVidia has newer/better drivers for Linux than OSX and Windoze is that its GPU hardware is used so much for supercomputer parallel processing tasks - hundreds of cores, gigabytes of RAM, super-speed memory transfer rates, and optimized for such tasks. Most of those systems are running on Linux. My wife is a particle physicist at Fermi National Laboratory in the computing division. To process the petabytes of data they get per day, they need these systems. Thousands of computers, and with the nVidia GPUs, millions of processing cores built to handle the math required for such things. If you ever have a chance to visit their computing center sometime, it will boggle your mind! I think they have tours of those normally closed facilities open to the public a few times a year.

Last night she was up until well after midnight because some sort of network problem was slowing down data transfer rates between clusters. Not usually her problem, but it was affecting her work so... At least she was only a bit cranky this morning!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    One of the reasons why nVidia has newer/better drivers for Linux than OSX and Windoze is that its GPU hardware is used so much for supercomputer parallel processing tasks - hundreds of cores, gigabytes of RAM, super-speed memory transfer rates, and optimized for such tasks. Most of those systems are running on Linux. My wife is a particle physicist at Fermi National Laboratory in the computing division. To process the petabytes of data they get per day, they need these systems. Thousands of computers, and with the nVidia GPUs, millions of processing cores built to handle the math required for such things. If you ever have a chance to visit their computing center sometime, it will boggle your mind! I think they have tours of those normally closed facilities open to the public a few times a year.

Last night she was up until well after midnight because some sort of network problem was slowing down data transfer rates between clusters. Not usually her problem, but it was affecting her work so... At least she was only a bit cranky this morning!
    Nvidia makes Linux drivers because scientists use them, and gamers also benefit. Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Not knowing what to use, I have tried a lot of them (from the smallest to the biggest ones, but also distros like Tails, etc.) (even tried to install BSD but failed lol)

Originally planned to use Debian, as it appears to be something really strong, but then problems appeared, so not having too much time to waste, shifted to Linux Mint 17.3, the ready to use distro and the most new users friendly; the perfect transition distro when you come from M$ (although distros like Ubuntu, Lubuntu, PuppyLinux are cool stuffs too).

If guys like Linus Torvalds fails to install and run Debian (see Youtube video watch?v=7SofmXIYvGM ), then newbies like myself don't have to be embarrassed and may leave for another distro.

May try again to go back to Debian later on.

Anyway, not looking for a tailored OS, just something that works, stable, safe, that respects privacy and that doesn't mobilize all the computer's resources for itself.
    You might want to try MX. From what I've seen, it's very user-friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk