Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question How to become a linux network and system administrator ? London

Hello,

Currently i work in the construction industry as a fire alarm installer (among other things), about a week ago got one of those email ads for jobs and one was for a junior system administrator, out of curiosity had a look at the requirements and put in bold what i have, granted i used ubuntu in the 7.03-7.10 days.

A classmate got me interested in linux by telling me i could open/close the cd-rom from his computer from mine after that web hosting server, mail server, ftp server, irc bots, vmware etc. , can't remember everything since that was almost half a life ago

Now i'm interested in pursuing this path, had a look online at jobs, what they were looking for etc. Then looked for courses/training (can't really self teach need someone) found that most ask for 2000+ or 3000+ and a year or so free, i have neither, the ''best'' i found is this one from City U of London which isn't that expensive (480) and 2 hours per week for 10 weeks with ''homework'' in between classes.

Is this course good ? will i be able to get a junior job after finishing this course ? any other ways, better ways ? anyone want to tutor me ? will pay

My CSCS card (allows me to enter construction sites) expires in September and would like to not have to renew it.

Why the career change ?! besides the obvious, born in Romania, after finishing highschool moved to Italy to work, about seven years later the economy went to **** and lost my job, 6 months later moved to London and things aren't looking good and i'm tired of moving countries.

Restored my old laptop with some more ram a 480gb ssd double the battery and a new (uk) keyboard, just finished installing ubuntu.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and i hope i've explained properly.

PS: really hope i posted in the right place

Minimum Requirements
     Basic Linux Experience (Ubuntu, RHEL) ubuntu
     Basic Windows (Desktop or Server) knowledge desktop
     Understanding of Mac OS
     Rudimentary knowledge of basic networking principles (DHCP, DNS) yes
     Basic hardware familiarity (GPU, CPU, RAM) yes
     Good problem solving and critical thinking skills maybe not so much critical thinking
     Well organised, self-motivated with good time management. yeah
     Ability and desire to learn YES!!!
     Supporting end users to a high standard ...
     Excellent interpersonal and communication skills yes

Additional Bonus Experience
     Custom-built computers yes
     Ansible, Puppet, Chef or other configuration management systems
     Active Directory, LDAP
     Apache, Nginx, MySQL, git apache and mySql
     Switching & Routing yes
     High performance computing
     VR & AR Headsets & configuration

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The U of London class may be a good choice. First, look at what the class is covering, and if they provide certificate exams after the class. Some sort of certificate will help you get a junior position. Do make sure that if the course doesn't cover the "requirements" of the positions that you do some study and research to learn those on your own. There is a tonne of material out on the Internet for you, and some good books as reference material. I wish you the best of luck.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!