Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Shocking Amount of Resources and Scripts Loaded on Linuxforums.org!

I use the noscript & requestpolicy extensions.
    They regulate which javascript can be executed, and which requests to external domains will be allowed through.
    I always use this forum with everything blocked.
    Just now I wanted to make sure that I get all the options for Profile editing, so I temporarily allowed everything - and was totally shocked at what i saw!

i quickly cut together 2 screenshots, that's noscript's popup on the left, and requestpolicy's on the right:

...and the page never stops loading.
    interesting also to see that requestpolicy blocks 3 more domains than noscript!
    that is 19 external domains altogether!!!

This forum is total spamware!
    how can people bear it?
    no wonder 90% of all posts are pretty low standard.

and i didn't even realize just how bad it is.

Well, there is a financial side to it. When you open up a forum like this you do not want to pay for it out of your pocket, do you? So you need to find a way to finance. At this point, more money is better, wouldn't you agree?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Well, there is a financial side to it. When you open up a forum like this you do not want to pay for it out of your pocket, do you? So you need to find a way to finance. At this point, more money is better, wouldn't you agree?
    erm, no, i completely disagree.

i mean, i agree that someone has turned this forum into a cash cow over the years (whether it really pays is another question), but this is just totally overshooting the target.

running a server with a forum isn't that expensive.

ok, almost everybody uses google analytics & co, but this is disgusting.

also draining even a decent computer's resources.

but yeah, go ahead and donate your cpu cycles & personal data to some person unknown (or maybe it's you who's then selling them onwards... for a pittance, i guess.

i don't think even one person manages to get some sort of decent income from this site.

"At this point" linuxforums should probably just quietly die.
    actually i was sort of relieved during that recent outage... but then it came on again...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Yes, you may be right. I always try to look at any situation from both sides and give the other party the benefit of doubt. One can always vote with legs, BTW.

Linux Guru
    well i'm fine as long as i don't activate javascript.

i just can't help but wonder for all the poor schmucks that don't know better...

and no need to walk away, this place has its own, very particular charm...

Just Joined!
    I use Privacy Badger from EFF and it says "Privacy Badger detected 28 potential trackers on this page." 19 of them were automatically blocked.

That's why I preinstall it on my custom Pi 3 distro, Privacy Enhanced Linux 64 (shameless plug)

Linux Guru
    ^ what about the other 9?

Linux User
    -->
    Maybe you have to manually block the other 9? Is it like a game? Sounds boring!