Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hi, newcomer to Linux here

Hello,

I've been toying with the idea of switching over to Linux for years now and finally made the plunge two days ago and so far, it's been pretty painless tbh. I just did some research, then uploaded Linux Mint Cinnamon to a USB stick to test it out, I loved it so made a partition, now I'm using dual boot! I imagine that once I figure out how to overcome some of the issues I'm having with Linux, I'll fully swap over and use WINE for any Windows-based programs I can't use.

Here is a quick story on what set me over the proverbial edge with Windows:

I had a very important document up I was working on in MS Word 2010. I left to the store and Windows 10 decided to do an update during this time without warning. Low and behind, when I logged back into my computer, my document was MIA! I searched high and low to no avail, so next I turned to google and found a ton of on-line support, however and unfortunately, none of this information could resuscitate my document from the beyond (believe me, I tried roll-back, searching temp folders in Windows directory, everything... that document was GONE!). Luckily, I remembered I always save a copy to the cloud and thank god it was there, otherwise I'd have lost months of hard work down the drain!

I wish that was my only issues with Windows, however I had to purchase a new portable HD and printer (at different times) because a W10 update broke the driver (which worked fine on my Windows 7 computer) and absolutely nothing could get those devices working again. At work, I've seen three of our office computer printers stop working and needing a complete driver uninstall and reinstall after a windows update. You know, typical MS bs.

And what's really been getting upset lately is the corporate decision to intentionally slow down older versions of windows via planned obsolescence. My living room computer with all of my movies and games running Windows 7 now boots as slowly as my old XP did around the time W2K came out. I can literally turn the power on my computer, go get everything ready to make a sandwich, the load screen should be up by now at which time I type my password, then I can go finish the sandwich, and when I'm done, maybe the computer will be done fully loading all apps and drivers. Complete and utter bs! I'm tired of this corporate level jurisdiction over something I paid good money for. Anyway, happy as a clam to have jumped ship to Linux!

Good for you!

Tell all your friends about it as well....

welcome to Linux community . Feel free to tell your story to your friends and family . Linux is free

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by asifnaz View Post
    welcome to Linux community . Feel free to tell your story to your friends and family . Linux is free
    so is telling the time and date. your 4 months late with your welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by taemx View Post
    Hello,

I've been toying with the idea of switching over to Linux for years now and finally made the plunge two days ago and so far, it's been pretty painless tbh. I just did some research, then uploaded Linux Mint Cinnamon to a USB stick to test it out, I loved it so made a partition, now I'm using dual boot! I imagine that once I figure out how to overcome some of the issues I'm having with Linux, I'll fully swap over and use WINE for any Windows-based programs I can't use.

Here is a quick story on what set me over the proverbial edge with Windows:

I had a very important document up I was working on in MS Word 2010. I left to the store and Windows 10 decided to do an update during this time without warning. Low and behind, when I logged back into my computer, my document was MIA! I searched high and low to no avail, so next I turned to google and found a ton of on-line support, however and unfortunately, none of this information could resuscitate my document from the beyond (believe me, I tried roll-back, searching temp folders in Windows directory, everything... that document was GONE!). Luckily, I remembered I always save a copy to the cloud and thank god it was there, otherwise I'd have lost months of hard work down the drain!

I wish that was my only issues with Windows, however I had to purchase a new portable HD and printer (at different times) because a W10 update broke the driver (which worked fine on my Windows 7 computer) and absolutely nothing could get those devices working again. At work, I've seen three of our office computer printers stop working and needing a complete driver uninstall and reinstall after a windows update. You know, typical MS bs.

And what's really been getting upset lately is the corporate decision to intentionally slow down older versions of windows via planned obsolescence. My living room computer with all of my movies and games running Windows 7 now boots as slowly as my old XP did around the time W2K came out. I can literally turn the power on my computer, go get everything ready to make a sandwich, the load screen should be up by now at which time I type my password, then I can go finish the sandwich, and when I'm done, maybe the computer will be done fully loading all apps and drivers. Complete and utter bs! I'm tired of this corporate level jurisdiction over something I paid good money for. Anyway, happy as a clam to have jumped ship to Linux!
    I learned about linux about 3 years ago.
    Istarted toying with it in virtual box for a while, moved to thunb drive booting,
    now I have a dual boot system, it kind of kool to have a change and variety of OS.

-->
    well come to the Linux world