Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 27 of 27
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #21
    Linux Guru Segfault's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Acadiana
    Posts
    2,185

    An OS that should not be connected to the internet because it cannot be secured is crappy. When all anti-virus software providers go out of business because Windows finally gets the first line of defense working then it is not crappy any more.
    Windows desktop market share is high because MS uses every trick, including dirty ones to keep it this way. It has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with [crooked] marketing.
    What I do with my desktop? Everything. Including but not limited to video/photo processing, playing games, whatnot. Long gone are the times when I had to fake my browser ID to log into banks. Now it all just works.
    I was an IT manager and sysadmin over 7 years. I quit because I could not stand Windows any more. I promised myself I will never install Windows again. It was 2003. I've been living happily ever after.

  2. #22
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    271
    I won't ask for proof because I'm not interested in defending Windows. I will say that I have been using Windows for a long time with internet connection and nothing bad ever happened, except when I install stupid or shady stuff, clearly. My dad connects to the company server and stores sensitive data in his computer (with the company's blessing), does bank transactions and pays his bills, all using Windows and the awful Google Chrome. He doesn't even know what the words firewall, disk encryption or VPN mean.

    Linux undoubtedly gets better every freaking day, which is wonderful, while Windows stays the same or gets worse. Windows Defender has improved a lot, but it is still sh*. I am forced to use things like Bitdefender, which won't protect you unless you create an account. The worst part is that it'll disable Windows Defender and leave you unprotected until you do. It's totally ridiculous.

    Do you play DX games using WINE or Linux-compatible games only? WINE allows to play some good games actually. Steam too. I was surprised. I mean, Fallout 3? Pretty f* cool!

    I can't believe you quit your job because of Windows. Lol. I hope you got another job after that

    Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

  3. #23
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,747
    yada yada yada...
    bottom line: if you were at all serious about this, you'd have done some research at the very least, you'd have found that you're not the first person to have these kinds of thoughts/ideas. which brings me back to the xkcd comic...

    if you were really serious about it, you'd start working on it.

    but in the end, i don't see any reason for this sort of negativity.
    my system is very lightweight, it works, there's no desktop environment other than what i made.
    it brought me through school with LibreOffice, and not MS...
    in addition to a nice multimedia desktop machine, i have a server created from a salvaged laptop (i wish i could tell the person i bought it from. they were so dismissive about it, they almost gave it away for free, but i insisted to pay) which not only drives my website but also streams music to my android phone...
    all this at practically no cost at all.

    if all those people that coded the software i am using & relying on, were tied into some unified desktop project, things would look much worse for me.

    maybe you should use macOS instead? there's your unification. it's even UNIX-like.

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #24
    Linux Guru Segfault's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Acadiana
    Posts
    2,185
    > I won't ask for proof because I'm not interested in defending Windows.

    The very existence of anti-virus software is proof, this little fact did not make it to your brain?

    > I will say that I have been using Windows for a long time with internet connection and nothing bad ever happened,

    Typical Windows user thinking. This is why we have an army of Windows zombies. FYI, all mayor anti-virus companies agree about 1/3 of viruses go undetected. What you think why there is an army of Windows zombies? Since your logic is not very strong I'll answer it for you. Because Windows machines get owned and the user will never know.

  6. #25
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    yada yada yada...
    bottom line: if you were at all serious about this, you'd have done some research at the very least, you'd have found that you're not the first person to have these kinds of thoughts/ideas. which brings me back to the xkcd comic...

    if you were really serious about it, you'd start working on it.
    Working how? I'm not a programmer and I have no formal training in CS at all, except for the Python calculator we wrote at school. I think it could add 2 natural numbers!

    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    but in the end, i don't see any reason for this sort of negativity.
    my system is very lightweight, it works, there's no desktop environment other than what i made.
    it brought me through school with LibreOffice, and not MS...
    in addition to a nice multimedia desktop machine, i have a server created from a salvaged laptop (i wish i could tell the person i bought it from. they were so dismissive about it, they almost gave it away for free, but i insisted to pay) which not only drives my website but also streams music to my android phone...
    all this at practically no cost at all.
    if all those people that coded the software i am using & relying on, were tied into some unified desktop project, things would look much worse for me.
    It's not negativity. And I never said Linux distros were bad, or useless, I was trying to determine why they weren't widespread. The result is: you have a system that is lightweight and can do a bunch of things a Windows user would never imagine, but what about the other 97% of the population? Why don't they know about it? Are they all stupid sheep except for us?

    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    maybe you should use macOS instead? there's your unification. it's even UNIX-like.
    That's true. No MATE developer would joing forces with a heretic GNOME developer unless you pay them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    The very existence of anti-virus software is proof, this little fact did not make it to your brain?
    1- https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...s#Anti_malware

    2- "Wow, this car has seatbelts! It must suck!"

    Antivirus are there mostly to defend the computer from the user. Windows user are usually not as familiar with the inner workings of the OS and computers in general, and rely more on the anti-virus.

    I could compile a package as root (I'm talking about Arch) but it is not allowed. I could run apps as root but it is not allowed either. Why? Because it's dangerous. Does that mean Arch is crappy because it tries to prevent me from breaking the system?
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Typical Windows user thinking. This is why we have an army of Windows zombies. FYI, all mayor anti-virus companies agree about 1/3 of viruses go undetected. What you think why there is an army of Windows zombies? Since your logic is not very strong I'll answer it for you. Because Windows machines get owned and the user will never know.
    Perhaps you, as an anti-conformist Linux user, didn't read my answer and went blindly for the reply box. I said nothing bad ever happened, which means, even if the system is as flawed as you say, then there is not much to worry about regardless.

    Sorry but I didn't understand what you meant by "get owned", so I didn't get why there is an army of Windows zombies.
    Last edited by CarterCox; 03-13-2018 at 04:21 AM.

  7. #26
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,747
    ^ there's a lot of troll/flame-bait in all that.

    i can see you're half earnest, but the other half - well, like i said, i'm not biting.

  8. #27
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    271
    -->
    I may have been when answering Segfault, because he was a little unpleasant, but I wasn't trying to annoy you. I honestly believe Linux is better, although I don't think Windows is crap. I just don't know why there aren't more like me.

    Because if you look at the rest of the universe, people usually try to look for better alternatives. For example, when buying a guitar you won't buy the first thing you are offered only because all your friends have it. You'll investigate and find the best option. With computers nobody does. Maybe it's because most feel obligated to use them and don't really like it. All I know is that I tried to have my mom use Lubuntu+LibreOffice and she couldn't get used to it

    Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •