Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Someone wrote this

Watching a ReactOS video I found this comment:

"The fact that there is no good Windows alternative is because Linux developers are complete morons logistically speaking. They have wasted their time with vanity projects instead of actually improving the user experience for everyone, so that more people use Linux and companies become interested in writing apps for Linux, or alternatively, writing decent replacements themselves. At the very least time could have been used to improve WINE. Their lack of vision is beyond belief.

But no, instead, they have developed dozens of DEs, none of them even close to what Windows' DE can do, and hundreads of distributions, all of them the same (oh, but with a *very* different philosophy), and none of them a viable replacement for Windows.

While admirable, Linux has been a complete waste of time for everyone.

And I won't even mention BSD."

What do you guys think? Is this person right?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CarterCox; 03-10-2018 at 01:40 PM.

Linux Guru
    reactos has been under development for more than a decade and it's not long since they're out of alpha status.
    compare that to gnu/linux....
    which is an unfair comparison because of the fundamentally different nature of those projects.

constructive criticism of gnu/linux is totally ok, but insults & pointless comparisons are exactly what they appear to be.
    clearly this person has no clue what they're talking about; a troll, and congrats for taking the bait.

anyhow, reactos is on distrowatch with hundreds of linux, bsd etc. distros. peace.

Linux User
    I agree, the insults are uncalled for, but why pointless comparisons? They are just comparisons, you can't label them as pointless and ignore them.

In addition, this "troll" is not talking about ReactOS, but rather Linux developers in general.

I believe the troll is kind of right. There is too much of the same in the Linux world. Some distributions are designed for newcomers, other rely a bit more on graphical tools, others aim to be lightweight, others FOSS, but it is essentially all the same with a few different policies.

Take for example all of the installers that exist (from Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, MX Linux, etc.) And imagine all the people that developed them worked together on the same project (considering the logistics part could be handled). Wouldn't it mean a better universal installer, in less time and with less bugs and lacking features? Apply the same logic to DEs, distros, Wikis and even text editors, and you have a bulletproof OS with unbeatable documentation. Obviously this would only work in a dream world, but if this was the goal, then the result would be comparable.

Unrelated: ReactOS is still in alpha according to their website. I'm not complaining, I'm sure it is a colossal task, but as someone said in the comments: "Windows won't be Windows by the time ReactOS is stable".

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    I think that the developers should focus on few big projects, e.g. GNOME, KDE, LibreOffice, Wayland....
    Develop a small alternative doesn't bring any improvement to the community IMHO. We have thousands of softwares discontinued or developed by one or two developers. Look at OpenOffice and LibreOffice, now we can say that OpenOffice is dead but Apache continues to waste developers time on it. What they think to achieve?

FLOSS development should be more focused and the developers should understand that they need to work together and not to split because someone wants the menu bar on the top and others want it on the bottom.
    It's like for political parties here in Italy, I think we have had thousands of parties in our history just because someone prefers a different logo and goes away from the big party to found a small party for himself and his friends only...

Linux Guru
    i think allin just made an accidental statement for the benefit of having so many fractions - democracy.

my personal reasoning is this: who else can claim to run on their computers a result of a global community effort? i love that, even the chaotic part, and i'm willing to take some disadavantages. the advantages are far more numerous.

cartercox, instead of us relying on your interpretation of said article, you should just link it.

Linux User
    I agree with both. I think it's beautiful that people came together to build this, but I also think that the end result would be much more relevant to the world if there was some sort of government (like with Debian) or end-game that everyone (or at least the majority of developers) focused on. Let's not forget that this doesn't happen exclusively in the software world, but it is common practice in the science world. The problem, I think, is the fact that anyone can write code from the cinfort of their chair, no laboratory needed, so there is no need to put up with others.

Like allin said, it is a shame that there are two identical projects simply because one project allows propietary fonts and the other one doesn't. Isn't that a gigantic waste of time? If that wasn't the case, LibreOffice would be better than Microsoft Office by now. It almost is as it is.

I can understand something like LXDE and LXQt, since it's simply a migration to newer or better technologies. But why XFCE and MATE? Why Deepin, GNOME, Cinnamon, Budgie, Pantheon, etc.? A different philosophy?

By the way, this not an article, it is a simple comment in a silly YouTube video. It just caught my attention. I don't think I could find it again anyways.

Linux Newbie

Someone wrote this

Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    i think allin just made an accidental statement for the benefit of having so many fractions - democracy.

my personal reasoning is this: who else can claim to run on their computers a result of a global community effort? i love that, even the chaotic part, and i'm willing to take some disadavantages. the advantages are far more numerous.
    I agree with you, I haven't written all of what I think because my English is not so good and I'm REALLY slow at writing in English you wrote the second part of my post

I don't like this waste of time, but at the same time it's good to have choices. For example I hate the new Windows 10 GUI but every Windows user MUST use that GUI. In the GNU/Linux world we can choose what we like. IMHO, DE are an important part of the system (for desktop users) and I can understand the developers that want to create something new or something different. I don't understand it for all small projects like MP3 tag editor... there are a lot of tag editor and no one works fine! The same happens with VNC for example (tigervnc, tightvnc, xvnc,...) or programs for the screenshots. I'm not saying that these project are not important, but why they don't try to converge to a single, complete, program?

Linux User
    What I don't understand is: why have a bunch of DEs for that, instead of a single DE with lots of options? Every time anyone wants a new feature, or disagrees with a certain policy, a new DE is written, instead of adding things to the only existing one. I agree that the resulting package would be a bit larger, but you wouldn't have to write apps for Qt and GTK separately. Every time you want to write a GUI front-end for a program, you have to do it for Qt and for GTK. It's insanely inefficient.

There is no way this will ever be different. There are too many minds to change. It's very frustrating. Linux would have been different under unified management. Probably if it was for-profit too.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by CarterCox View Post
    What I don't understand is: why have a bunch of DEs for that, instead of a single DE with lots of options? Every time anyone wants a new feature, or disagrees with a certain policy, a new DE is written, instead of adding things to the only existing one. I agree that the resulting package would be a bit larger, but you wouldn't have to write apps for Qt and GTK separately. Every time you want to write a GUI front-end for a program, you have to do it for Qt and for GTK. It's insanely inefficient.

There is no way this will ever be different. There are too many minds to change. It's very frustrating. Linux would have been different under unified management. Probably if it was for-profit too.

Yes, you are right but I think that QT vs GTK is something really old. I think that the most recent DEs are born after the release of the absolutely "unusual" GNOME 3. I don't remember about KDE-based DEs. GNOME 3 is too much out of the ordinary (I can say it's pretty unusable as-is, but this is only my opinion) and some people has developed all the gnome3-based DEs like Budgie, Cinnamon, etc

Linux User
    -->
    Yeah I find it impossible to use GNOME. Maybe because I'm used to Windows. Besides, it's hardly customizable at all (by default). That's not the Linux way I'm used too. I am very happy with Xfce. It has wonderful window snapping, better than MATE in this regard, and is more customizable than Cinnamon but not too much like KDE, and it's ligher, although sadly not as much as LXDE and LXQt.