Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1

    Looking for recommendations on new server hardware


    Hi everyone,

    I currently am running CentOs 7 on a 10+ yo machine and Iím looking to upgrade the hardware (new processor, mobo, RAM, possibly PSU).

    Was wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I currently use it as a files server, Plex media server, vpn server, and would also use it to encode movies that I rip from my Blu-rays. Would like at least an octa-core processor, possibly go with a dual-processor mobo. RAM and PSU I can find on my own. Would like this thing to be a beast and Iím willing to throw some money at it, but donít want to break the bank, ya know. Thank for any info anyone can provide!

  2. #2
    Linux Guru Segfault's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Acadiana
    Posts
    2,185
    Life is full of compromises. Here you have computing power and cost vs. efficiency. A home server with anything more powerful than a i3-xxxxT is a waste of resources. Since it is always on the encoding time is not really a factor. Is it really important how fast your Blueray rip gets encoded? If it is get a nVidia card and use nvenc. It will outperform any dual multicore CPU setup you might have, by magnitudes.

  3. #3
    Thanks for the reply.

    Itís not just the encoding of vids, itís the transcoding during playback. Most of my devices are able to directly play h265 files, however there are 1 or 2 devices that need it transcoded to h264. Iíd like to make sure the processor is able to do that without any probs.

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,747
    Quote Originally Posted by simon_lefisch View Post
    Itís not just the encoding of vids, itís the transcoding during playback. Most of my devices are able to directly play h265 files, however there are 1 or 2 devices that need it transcoded to h264. Iíd like to make sure the processor is able to do that without any probs.
    in real time? that's going to take a lot of cpu power.
    my quad-core intel desktop certainly couldn't do it.
    so, if you think you really want that, you will have to spend some money on the cpu.
    also get a gpu that supports hevc decoding (might be built into the cpu, as with my intel).

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    in real time? that's going to take a lot of cpu power.
    my quad-core intel desktop certainly couldn't do it.
    so, if you think you really want that, you will have to spend some money on the cpu.
    also get a gpu that supports hevc decoding (might be built into the cpu, as with my intel).
    Yes, in real-time. Plex does that if the client canít support the format (will transcode h265 video but direct stream the audio), but itís a matter of how powerful the cpu is. Thatís why I was thinking of a dual-processor mobo. I donít think Plex would be able to use the gpu for real-time transcoding, but Iíd have to double check on that.

  7. #6
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    271
    So how about some older server processors? Older Xeons could maybe give you some good performance for the money you would pay for them.

    Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

  8. #7
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by simon_lefisch View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

    It’s not just the encoding of vids, it’s the transcoding during playback. Most of my devices are able to directly play h265 files, however there are 1 or 2 devices that need it transcoded to h264. I’d like to make sure the processor is able to do that without any probs.
    why dont you just upgrade/replace those two devices and not have to transcode anything? if thats all you need to support thatd seem simplest.

    and nvenc would be the way to go. use an nvidia card with appropriate kernel patches and itll cook. it actually supports faster than real time (according to nvidia) decoding.
    https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-video-codec-sdk

    obs studio supports it, and vlc might https://obsproject.com/forum/threads...r-linux.47023/
    Quote Originally Posted by CarterCock
    So how about some older server processors? Older Xeons could maybe give you some good performance for the money you would pay for them
    yea...old hardware is sure to perform better than new. especially since only a few of the xeons that are older have built-in graphics support like the i7s have had. and they use more power, and perform a ton slower than hardware encoding using gpus.

    other than that its stellar advice. good job /s

  9. #8
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    271
    Let's divide your stupid post, so you are properly humiliated.

    Quote Originally Posted by habit View Post
    yea...old hardware is sure to perform better than new.
    I don't know what kind of car you have, but I'll assume it's cheaper than a Bugatti Veyron.

    [1]"Hey, your car is slower than the Bugatti Veyron, why don't you buy one? What a dummie..."

    Quote Originally Posted by habit View Post
    especially since only a few of the xeons that are older have built-in graphics support like the i7s have had.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrac..._gaming_build/

    Those guys can humiliate you for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by habit View Post
    and they use more power
    Refer to [1]
    Quote Originally Posted by habit View Post
    and perform a ton slower than hardware encoding using gpus.
    You are right, I should not have said "don't use a GPU. Oh wait...



    Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by CarterCoCK View Post
    Let's divide your stupid post, so you are properly humiliated.

    I don't know what kind of car you have, but I'll assume it's cheaper than a Bugatti Veyron.

    [1]"Hey, your car is slower than the Bugatti Veyron, why don't you buy one? What a dummie..."
    really, retard? first i never said anything about price i only mentioned age.

    and you just proved my point...the newer car performs better is what you just said. which is what i said. an old xeon does NOT perform as well as a current gen i7. a new chevy corvette will outperform an older one. a new xeon is faster than an old one. an OLD xeon is slower than a new i7, and (since you dont know any better) an old xeon is about the same price as a fairly new i7. you even admitted i was right, so you arent as dumb as you let on.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrac..._gaming_build/
    Those guys can humiliate you for me.]
    and again, dumbass, you dont pay attention and act like the 8 yr old you are. I said **SOME** older xeons dont have graphics support. not all. and even on that 'humiliating" thread, you didnt bother reading it did you? see things like this?
    'It has the exact same performance as an i7 while Gaming and works like a charm. Certain Xeons such as the 1230v3 and 1231v3 are amazing in Games."
    'exactly the same as an i7. "
    ..and my favorite, which is supposed to 'humilate" me...by saying the EXACT SAME THING THAT I SAID:
    'People don't realize that a lot of the Xeons are just i7s with no integrated gpu."
    Refer to [1]
    yep..refer to [1] where the FACTS support it. xeons use more power. or as you say "Oh wait...."
    from this article: Power Consumption And Efficiency - Intel Xeon E5-2600: Doing Damage With Two Eight-Core CPUs
    ' Intel’s Xeon E5-2687Ws average the highest power consumption in this workload (then again, we might have guessed that would be the case, given two CPUs with 150 W TDPs). Surprisingly, the Xeon W5580s are the second-worst offenders. Remember that Intel switched to 32 nm manufacturing for its Xeon 5600 series, so even though those processors sport an additional two cores each, they’re able to outperform 5500s in threaded apps while using less power. Naturally, a single Core i7-3960X offers the absolute lowest average power numbers,"

    lots more, retard. go look them up.
    You are right, I should not have said "don't use a GPU. Oh wait...
    you said to use old crap xeons to do something they probably cant do. and again you try to split hairs to say 'well i didnt SAY NOT to use a gpu....so that means i did say it somehow". you didnt, your advice was again garbage, spouted off by some mental midget who cant write a shell script.

    yea...you sure humiliated someone here. too bad it was yourself.

  11. #10
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    271
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by habit View Post
    really, retard? first i never said anything about price i only mentioned age. and you just proved my point...the newer car performs better is what you just said. which is what i said. an old xeon does NOT perform as well as a current gen i7. a new chevy corvette will outperform an older one. a new xeon is faster than an old one. an OLD xeon is slower than a new i7, and (since you dont know any better) an old xeon is about the same price as a fairly new i7. you even admitted i was right, so you arent as dumb as you let on.
    No one informed that price wasn't important anymore. Damn I can't keep up with this youngsters. /s#humiliated
    Quote Originally Posted by habit View Post
    and again, dumbass, you dont pay attention and act like the 8 yr old you are. I said **SOME** older xeons dont have graphics support. not all. and even on that 'humiliating" thread, you didnt bother reading it did you? see things like this?'It has the exact same performance as an i7 while Gaming and works like a charm. Certain Xeons such as the 1230v3 and 1231v3 are amazing in Games."'exactly the same as an i7. "..and my favorite, which is supposed to 'humilate" me...by saying the EXACT SAME THING THAT I SAID:'People don't realize that a lot of the Xeons are just i7s with no integrated gpu."
    Exactly, the same performance, and you'll usually find good deals on Xeons, because they are not as popular. That is why I suggested it. People build gmaing computers and workstations using Xeons because they can be more cost-efficient than i7s.So there is no reason to say it's a bad suggestion, other than being butthurt.#humiliated
    Quote Originally Posted by habit View Post
    yep..refer to [1] where the FACTS support it. xeons use more power. or as you say "Oh wait...."from this article: Power Consumption And Efficiency - Intel Xeon E5-2600: Doing Damage With Two Eight-Core CPUs' Intelís Xeon E5-2687Ws average the highest power consumption in this workload (then again, we might have guessed that would be the case, given two CPUs with 150 W TDPs). Surprisingly, the Xeon W5580s are the second-worst offenders. Remember that Intel switched to 32 nm manufacturing for its Xeon 5600 series, so even though those processors sport an additional two cores each, theyíre able to outperform 5500s in threaded apps while using less power. Naturally, a single Core i7-3960X offers the absolute lowest average power numbers,"lots more, retard. go look them up.
    You have got to be kidding me. You are comparing a dual processor setup and a single processor setup, and you are surprised they use more power?#humiliated
    Quote Originally Posted by habit View Post
    you said to use old crap xeons to do something they probably cant do. and again you try to split hairs to say 'well i didnt SAY NOT to use a gpu....so that means i did say it somehow". you didnt, your advice was again garbage, spouted off by some mental midget who cant write a shell script.yea...you sure humiliated someone here. too bad it was yourself.
    I didn't say "don't use a GPU because I think that's the way to go. You are simply butthurt.#humiliatedI don't want to turn this thread into a personal battle like last time. I already suggested something, it's up to the OP to do his own research now. If you would like to discuss this further, please email me or send me a private message.Oh, and once again#humiliated
    Last edited by CarterCox; 04-09-2018 at 12:43 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •