Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

nslookup and its manual

Hi guys,

To my surprise I just noticed that manual for nslookup command does not provide information on possible types for use. As for types in only says:

Code:
    type=value
                       Change the type of the information query.

(Default = A; abbreviations = q, ty)
    Then I ask you, how should I know what types there are? how should I know there is NS, SOA, ANY, MX? Man pages don't really provide this information. Nevertheless Windows help does! For what reason is it so trimmed? I know it is depreciated in favour of dig but that is not an excuse. What are there man pages for ....?... to make it more opaque? Seriously.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by tether View Post
    Hi guys,

To my surprise I just noticed that manual for nslookup command does not provide information on possible types for use. As for types in only says:

Code:
    type=value

Then I ask you, how should I know what types there are? how should I know there is NS, SOA, ANY, MX? Man pages don't really provide this information. Nevertheless Windows help does! For what reason is it so trimmed? I know it is depreciated in favour of dig but that is not an excuse. What are there man pages for ....?... to make it more opaque? Seriously.
    so use windows then, jackhole. not much point going around to linux forums saying how great windows is is there? dont like linux then dont use it. your problem is now solved.

unless you want to actually contribute and put YOUR time into editing those man pages to give them greater value, instead of sitting there whining about how bad they are

-->
    Quote Originally Posted by tether View Post
    Hi guys,

Code:
    type=value

I think it's a common engineer thing. Some person made it a while ago, with assumptions that if your looking for record type or using the tool, you would understand basics of DNS.

The tool is not there to teach you about DNS, I think it's safe to say the tools job is to be in spec, and if the spec clearly states he types of entries...no need to repeat. If you don't know the types, you can go and read the DNS spec which will have way more detail...

This does make it harder to just use the tool. But remember, these are tools developed and "donated" - not all engineers are good at documenting, and there's not enough people out there willing to contribute... Most just use and complain.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

$spacer_open
$spacer_close