Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
if you want to program in pascal i imagine delphi might fit your craving. they also make a linux version of delphi i dont remember what its called. pascal is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

if you want to program in pascal i imagine delphi might fit your craving. they also make a linux version of delphi i dont remember what its called. pascal is the root of a few languages pl/sql for oracle is based on it.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    if you want to program in pascal i imagine delphi might fit your craving. they also make a linux version of delphi i dont remember what its called. pascal is the root of a few languages pl/sql for oracle is based on it.
    I wasn't aware of that. I may have to dust off my Pascal skills one day.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

kylix http://www.borland.com/products/down...oad_kylix.html

that was the product shown to me at the open source booths of the Comdex Convention i went to acouple of years ago in Vegas. i new delphi was around and at the time i didnt even know that delphi was a pascal based language. its purpose is to create gui programs. i dont even know if databse support is handled or anything. but i like to tinker with new languages.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by daemonOS
    As stated above C/C++ & Java. Now we (as in work) program in VB .NET. I am not 100% happy w/it however, it is a new and has bugs. Yes that means we paid M$ a lot of $$. I am now in my spare time trying to get it to run on linux which makes my work fun and enjoyable.
    I must say that,... i'm not a 100% with you on this one... .net programming is free. Visual Studio .Net isn't... MSDN isn't... and microsoft did a HELL of a job since... can't remember when with there Visual Studio releases! I remember learning C++ with borland, and Microsoft C++ as well... both were excellent...

I also must say that I am extremely happy to program in C#, the reason been that I'm paid good money to do what I use to do with my best friend for fun... in my father's garage... drinking Coca-cola... and eating jelly beens... So if you ask me today if I like microsoft... of course I do... Diversity is great for progress!

Now... sorry for been of topic, I just had to make a point for everyone whos always complaining about Microsoft... **** guys... Bill Gates makes more money than ALL of our dads income (all site registered user)... damn He must have done something good no???!!!

BoT, C is a MUST, no for the money or anything, but its for the core knowledge you'll get from it! then C++ if you think about doing some OO otherwise dont.... if OO isnt whats your looking for, go for C#, C++, Java.
    for some DEEP knowledge of PC programming, go for ASM programming ( I personnaly like this).... Thats for programming language

I dont think that only knowing a programmin language will do any good thou... anyway if you want to go any further into programming.... Design Pattern, OO programming, extreme programming, are "methods" of programming, this is very very very important if you really want to be a top programmer...

That's it... my thought of the day
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Quote Originally Posted by UgoDeschamps

Now... sorry for been of topic, I just had to make a point for everyone whos always complaining about Microsoft... **** guys... Bill Gates makes more money than ALL of our dads income (all site registered user)... damn He must have done something good no???!!!
    White collar thievery
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Engineer
    LOL.... anyway... I wont start to argue... since this is pointless...
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Thanks for all your inputs, I have narrowed it down to C/C++, Python, Ruby (those two were recomended by a friend of mine) any opinions on that?

I started out with C (actually, the first programming I did was in assembly language) but I think Python is easier for a beginner. A nice way of getting to know it is at www.pygame.org
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

C is really the foundation programming language, once you learn solid C, not only will you have learned good programming habits, but you will overall have a better understanding of programming theory. If you just wanna make a fun little script to wow friends, Perl or Python can get you that quite easily and quickly, but C/C++ are the core (or kernel....hehehe) of programing, the industry leader for Application/Desktop programming leans twords Java because of its widespread crossplatform nature along with significantly enhanced VM's that are really speeding up execution times. personal experiance with Ruby is limited to.. oo look ruby bindings for Perl... thats nice....
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast