Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Originally Posted by Santa's little helper Originally Posted by techieMoe OOP is relatively new in the programming arena... Didn't OOP start in the late sixties ? When something starts and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa's little helper
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    OOP is relatively new in the programming arena...
    Didn't OOP start in the late sixties ?
    When something starts and when something becomes a dominant standard in the industry are two completely different things. Yes, I was talking about the latter. Simply because the ideas have been around for some time doesn't mean they were used. By your logic, the helicopter started 400 years ago, when the idea didn't actually become useful in any great form until the last century.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    IMO, you should learn C first. I tried to do the other way 'round and learn Java, because that was offered at my school, and I'm finding C completely unintelligible. It may be just me, but after you've learned an OO language, it's hard to unlearn and think what might be considered "normal." I really regret I didn't have a better grasp of C before I started Java. Java is incredible when it comes to OO, though, much better than I think C++ would be, so I'd reccomend you learn C, and then java or some other OO language. I haven't really done anything with perl or python, or any other language for that matter.
    ---sxeraverx---
    Linux without a C Compiler is like eating Spaghetti with your mouth sewn shut. It just doesn't make sense.

SCO
    Just Joined!
    Your making this harder, Im trying to major in computer programming. I don't know which language to go for, it seems that techie is the programmer, and Ive heard that Java is used as the main thing now in the US? I wouldnt know. So Im going to learn Java, and then go back to C.

Oh by the way, Ive read a little tutorial on OO Java, and I like OO alot. It reminds me of XML, except XML came after.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Such a toss up!

I personally vote for C. I think it teaches you a better foundation and understanding of programming in general. It forces you to really understand whats going on, once you have that you can learn anything. Although, the way things seem to be heading, learning Java first probally wouldn't be all that bad of a choice easier. Since it may be difficult to wrap yourself around objects after tinkering with C.

Just Joined!
    I've done Java first and that seemed nice, but it was my first programming language so I didn't know better, now that I know C, I think that Java is too crippled, over-hyped, and too slow.
    The documentation, is excellent though.

It's a nice introductory language (like Assembler :P), learn Java and then apply that knowledge to C.

Just Joined!
    Im doing a BSc in Software Engineering and they taught us Jave and then other modules used some C.

The way that all people should be taught is C first then C++ then Java as they are meant to be extensions of each other anyway.

Sriously though start with c then move to C++ you will find java very easy to pick up after that.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neutrino
    Im doing a BSc in Software Engineering and they taught us Jave and then other modules used some C.

The way that all people should be taught is C first then C++ then Java as they are meant to be extensions of each other anyway.

Sriously though start with c then move to C++ you will find java very easy to pick up after that.
    I agree with you even though I am studying engineering. In electronic engineering, we do a lot of programming too.

Quote Originally Posted by Neutrino
    There are no absolutes. All people will not learn programming languages the same way, and not all language paths will fit every person. Java may not have worked for you in the beginning, but saying all people should do this or that is just arrogant IMO. All programming languages have merit, some are just more popular than others. What language someone starts with should be determined by the individual (if they can) or their institution's curriculum director.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I think it is easier to start with C then move on. I actually started with assembler I think most programming is still done in C, more than in java.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Quote Originally Posted by psic
    I think it is easier to start with C then move on. I actually started with assembler I think most programming is still done in C, more than in java.
    Depends on what you consider "most programming". Linux/UNIX software from my experience is mostly C/C++ these days if it's not a scripted language like Perl or Python.

MS Windows system programming is mostly .NET which encompasses C# (basically a cross between C++ and VB), VB, and Java.

All the development I do is in Java and the majority of jobs available in my area require some sort of Java proficiency. C/C++ are also good of course, particularly C++ since you can jump from C++ to Java very quickly.

Don't get me wrong, just because I use Java at work doesn't necessarily mean it's my favorite language. My heart is still with Pascal and C.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5