Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
HI. I was wondering what everybody thought is a good programing language (meaning an easy to learn) for someone just starting. I hope this is the right place to post ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Programming language

HI. I was wondering what everybody thought is a good programing language (meaning an easy to learn) for someone just starting. I hope this is the right place to post it Thanks

I'd say go for C, because once you know C, it'll be a little easier to learn some other languages, because C has a great structure. I think C is one of the more useful languages, and it's really not that hard. I also like Perl.

Linux Newbie
    If your into web design, HTML or XML, if your into programing, Java or C++
    Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I like Perl.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    PHP!!!

Java or C/C++
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

I would have to say Java or C. PHP and Perl would be for more experienced people. I myself don't get PHP yet. I stay with regular HTML and JavaScript.

I started with Pascal, but I imagine it's hard to find these days. If I were to recommend a language to someone just starting out I would say Java, and *not* C.

Allow me to clarify this, since I do program C/C++ as well as Java, and most of the programs and the kernel of Linux are written in C. The problem with learning C as your first language these days is that C is not an object-oriented language. This matters to me because new software development these days is done in languages that use the idea of Objects. For someone just starting out, it would be beneficial to grasp the ideas of objects now rather than pick them up down the road after months of doing procedural programming in C.

That's not to say learning C is a bad thing; quite the opposite. Since as I mentioned, most Linux and UNIX applications are written in C, it's quite beneficial. I just don't recommend *starting out* with C for someone completely new to programming.

I write Java for a living, but I started out as a C/C++ programmer, so this recommendation is based on my personal experiences with the language. In my opinion, it's easier to learn object-oriented programming first and pick up procedural later on than to have to "unlearn" the way you program in procedural languages (like C or Pascal) in order to pick up C++ or Java. Your mileage may vary.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    As stated above C/C++ & Java. Now we (as in work) program in VB .NET. I am not 100% happy w/it however, it is a new and has bugs. Yes that means we paid M$ a lot of $$. I am now in my spare time trying to get it to run on linux which makes my work fun and enjoyable.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Plato

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701
    I like Perl.

Jeremy
    I like PERL because it can be easy for newbies and can be complex for pros. Everybody can program in PERL
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast